Garmin 520

AntonG

Power / Start button has same reset effect but still takes me back to this screen, where it hangs up.

IMG_5343.jpg

edit:

Checked my invoice and the unit is just over a year old (Bought new) so I'll try see if anyone at Garmin SA can help me , hopefully they haven't all gone on holiday yet.

they guaranteed me they are there throughout except of course the public holidays

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Garmin SA accepted my warranty claim on my frozen edge 520, even though it was just over the one year warranty period and replaced unit with the edge 520 plus.  :clap:

Thanks to Evobikes for facilitating.

Update:

Garmin SA accepted my warranty claim on my frozen edge 520, even though it was just over the one year warranty period and replaced unit with the edge 520 plus. :clap:

Thanks to Evobikes for facilitating.

What sucks though is that the replacement unit only has a 3 month warranty.

I seriously doubt the longevity of the 520 (my 500 was bulletproof) based on my own experience and what I see on threads like this.

I now had a similar issue as the OP on my 520 and am not wildly impressed at forking out R1800 for 2 years in a row (the less I say about the "service" from Navworld the better) for a replacement.

Thought I would share this year. My 520 started giving malformed files that would not upload. My Aussie support sent this below which apparently resolves a lot of issues. Use it don't use it!

Dear Random Awesome Dude

Thank you for contacting Garmin Support Australasia.

Please attempt the following troubleshooting:

Install WebUpdater: https://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Then follow the prompts after the WebUpdater application is installed.Once installed connect your device to the computer, you will see the below screen. Please connect your device to the computer and click on ‘Find Device’Once device has been located it will appear the device box. Proceed by clicking ‘Next’Please note the device below is an example only and does not reflect your correct model.Please select ‘Reinstall the same version’ then click ‘Next’Continue to follow the prompts until you see this download screenEnsure not to interrupt or remove device during the download as this can cause the software to corrupt and the device to be unusable.

Master Reset

Turn device offHold Lap/Reset and Start/StopPress and release the power buttonContinue to hold only Lap/Reset and Start/StopRelease Lap/Reset and Start/Stop when the Garmin Logo is clearedThe unit will restart and clear non-vol

Please note that the master reset will erase all user associated data on the device and reset the device back to factory default settings. Please back up any information or sync activities if able prior to this step to avoid losing any data/activities.

Edited by Thor Buttox

I seriously doubt the longevity of the 520 (my 500 was bulletproof) based on my own experience and what I see on threads like this.

I now had a similar issue as the OP on my 520 and am not wildly impressed at forking out R1800 for 2 years in a row (the less I say about the "service" from Navworld the better) for a replacement.

I was told that the one year warranty restarts again as the replacement unit was brand new, didn't have to pay anything in either.

Agree with 500 was bulletproof and I had it for almost 10 years with lots of falls

I was told that the one year warranty restarts again as the replacement unit was brand new, didn't have to pay anything in either.

Then you were told something different than what was in my terms & conditions - will check again & confirm on here when I receive my new unit (still waiting in anticipation for Navworld & Garmin to get their act together)

Touch wood, but my 520 has never skipped a beat, travelled the world with me, crashed an awful lot, still going strong after 3 years.

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this thread and realized I am not alone.

My Garmin from the start of this week started showing excessive battery use - battery life was running down at a rate of knots! Did one or two searches and went and turned on GPS only on, bluetooth off, backlight dim etc. Still lost 20% in 1.5hrs!

Phoned Garmin and the normal......"book it in and if need be, be quoted on a replacement unit"......

I told them no way!! If my Garmin 500 could last me nearly 10yrs and my Garmin 520 on short of 3 years, it will not happen.

It seems to me that there is a battery issue with the Garmin 520 world wide if you do some searches.

I realize nothing last forever but for the money and previous Garmins owned, I expected a bit more longevity.

Told the Garmin guy then it is time for me to look at Wahoo or a Bryton 530...... he just laughed.......

So, I laughed too  :devil:

Any suggestions on which brand of replacement batteries to use for speed and cadence sensors?

Any suggestions on which brand of replacement batteries to use for speed and cadence sensors?

standard button battery from your nearest pharmacy .... at least that is what I used, and it works fine.

Would be interesting to hear if there is actually a better product.

Glad I found this thread and realized I am not alone.

My Garmin from the start of this week started showing excessive battery use - battery life was running down at a rate of knots! Did one or two searches and went and turned on GPS only on, bluetooth off, backlight dim etc. Still lost 20% in 1.5hrs!

Phoned Garmin and the normal......"book it in and if need be, be quoted on a replacement unit"......

I told them no way!! If my Garmin 500 could last me nearly 10yrs and my Garmin 520 on short of 3 years, it will not happen.

It seems to me that there is a battery issue with the Garmin 520 world wide if you do some searches.

I realize nothing last forever but for the money and previous Garmins owned, I expected a bit more longevity.

Told the Garmin guy then it is time for me to look at Wahoo or a Bryton 530...... he just laughed.......

So, I laughed too :devil:

So while I'm starting to see the same with my 520, I've used many other garmin products like you that have been faultless and flawless.

I can't say anything about wahoo n the like but you had a good 500 and an average 520, and now you saying Garmin is a bad product??? I don't think you can expect you can call in and they'll say sure bring it in we'll give you a new one no questions asked, a few years ago that might of been the case, but we abused that, so it's "bring it in, we'll send it away"

I'm quite interested in the edge 130

im interested in your 520 then  :ph34r:

the usb charging pin on my 520 seems to be shot, navworld sent it away almost a week ago and still awaiting feedback. They did mentioned tho the unit just over 2 years old is outv warranty. A replacement will cost be over R2k 

Anyone that can fix that charging pin perhaps   :whistling: 

So while I'm starting to see the same with my 520, I've used many other garmin products like you that have been faultless and flawless.

I can't say anything about wahoo n the like but you had a good 500 and an average 520, and now you saying Garmin is a bad product??? I don't think you can expect you can call in and they'll say sure bring it in we'll give you a new one no questions asked, a few years ago that might of been the case, but we abused that, so it's "bring it in, we'll send it away"

Meezo, no where am I saying Garmin is a bad product, in actual fact I have enjoyed their product immensely too. Garmin service, have also delivered in the past on two HR straps that were faulty of mine and replaced free of charge. I was by no means expecting a free replacement but maybe I was hoping there was going to be another "DIY tech adjustment" I could apply which I somehow knew there wasn't going to be one as my 520 was up to date with software and all the suggested alterations and adjustments to try counter the issue. A pity.  :(  I even asked if they could do a battery replacement and they said no, but they would quote me a on a new unit. 

Maybe I should have said, ....if its going to cost me money, let me experiment with something else/new for a change and put the money into that.... I guess it each one for themselves.

And yes! the Garmin Edge 130 is a nifty little piece of tech.  ;)  A mate of mine has one!