Hunting - yes or no?

leeubok

Your answer is pretty easy. Humans have destroyed this place. 

No, the question is not for us as a species, it is for YOU, the individual! How did YOU make it better, or worse?  :mellow:

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your answer is pretty easy. Humans have destroyed this place. 

No need to shoot DJR down, or throw your hands up in the air in resignation.

It only takes one person to make a difference. 

No, the question is not for us as a species, it is for YOU, the individual! How did YOU make it better, or worse?  :mellow:

or as the moonwalker put it

Living as "we" do - meaning having a house, car, children, driving on roads, using petrol etc is a nett negative on the planet.

We can recycle, eat vegan, buy a low emission vehicle, not use straws etc but living the lifestyle we do means leaving the planet a worse place than when we started.

Living as "we" do - meaning having a house, car, children, driving on roads, using petrol etc is a nett negative on the planet.

We can recycle, eat vegan, buy a low emission vehicle, not use straws etc but living the lifestyle we do means leaving the planet a worse place than when we started.

Eldron, this has been the case since the dawn of the 'Cognitive Revolution'. Homo Sapiens is (directly or indirectly) responsible for the extinction of numerous species of mega fauna across all continents, long before we even arrived at the 'Agricultural Revolution'. Our impact on this planet has been immense for millenia. 

Like it or not, we're all here on this planet and none of us by choice. The thing is that we've reached a point in our civilization where we are in the midst of the worst crises on numerous interconnected fronts (ecological, overpopulation, animal agriculture, disease, etc.), but we're also in a position where individuals have the most access to knowledge and resources to reduce their impact as far as possible. Collective action can make a significant difference as to our the direction of our future. 

Edited by Odinson

Eldron, this has been the case since the dawn of the 'Cognitive Revolution'. Homo Sapiens is (directly or indirectly) responsible for the extinction of numerous species of mega fauna across all continents, long before we even arrived at the 'Agricultural Revolution'. Our impact on this planet has been immense for millenia.

Like it or not, we're all here on this planet and none of us by choice. The thing is that we've reached a point in our civilization where we are in the midst of the worst crises on numerous interconnected fronts (ecological, overpopulation, animal agriculture, disease, etc.), but we're also in a position where individuals have the most access to knowledge and resources to reduce their impact as far as possible. Collective action can make a significant difference as to our the direction of our future.

Agreed.

The cynic in me thinks that we'll probably destroy the planet and end up as the cast in some weird sci-fi dystopia future real life movie.

Faith in mankind Eldron hopes that we'll realise before it's too late that we are near "end of days" and change needs to be HUGE.

My post was to help make people aware that you can't be a vegan, recycle, drive a prius and claim that you're helping - you're just killing slower.

Agreed.

The cynic in me thinks that we'll probably destroy the planet and end up as the cast in some weird sci-fi dystopia future real life movie.

Faith in mankind Eldron hopes that we'll realise before it's too late that we are near "end of days" and change needs to be HUGE.

My post was to help make people aware that you can't be a vegan, recycle, drive a prius and claim that you're helping - you're just killing slower.

So cynical, Eldron. Get some sun today while you can. The rest of the week looks a bit miserable in København. 

I get where you're coming from though. Most of the Western world is born into a consumerist society, which does not have the future of this planet as its primary concern. However, that doesn't absolve us from the responsibility to mitigate each of our footprint. 

If we want to mitigate/reverse some of the damage we've done, I think a few things need to happen: 

• Move to a plant-centered diet
  • Population control
  • Sustainable energy sources
  • Rethink of the current dominant religion - liberalism

If we want to mitigate/reverse some of the damage we've done, I think a few things need to happen: 

• Population control

That there is the elephant we need to address. But I doubt that humankind will, or that it is too late and that we have "gone viral" already and will multiply until a massive population crash brought on by ourselves. Sooner or later nature will find a cure for us, whether it is famine, a new strain of flu, nuclear war or a meteor from space, but we will be culled. 

That there is the elephant we need to address. But I doubt that humankind will, or that it is too late and that we have "gone viral" already and will multiply until a massive population crash brought on by ourselves. Sooner or later nature will find a cure for us, whether it is famine, a new strain of flu, nuclear war or a meteor from space, but we will be culled. 

The vector virus viral vector from Dan Brown's 'Inferno' seems like a good solution. 

Anyone here have a couple of million dollars we can use to pay a group of black market chemists/biologists/virologists to cook that up? 

Edited by Odinson

So cynical, Eldron. Get some sun today while you can. The rest of the week looks a bit miserable in København. 

I get where you're coming from though. Most of the Western world is born into a consumerist society, which does not have the future of this planet as its primary concern. However, that doesn't absolve us from the responsibility to mitigate each of our footprint. 

• Population control

Week? WINTER IS COMING - the weather is going to be crap until March! Fortunately the Danes are acutely aware of the situation and there is plenty to distract us from the weather :-)

Cynic Eldron stems more from "the system". I don't think the geographical, political and financial systems in place at the moment are flexible enough to avert "end of days". That said - humans are pretty adept at surviving and when a big enough epiphany happens they tend to panic and get sh!t done.

No absolution at all was intended - every little thing we do will prolong life so I'm pro "greening" - much more now that I am living in a country where it is ingrained into culture/life.

I'm with you on population control - that is the problem - the rest of the items you mentioned are symptoms of the problem.

Week? WINTER IS COMING - the weather is going to be crap until March! Fortunately the Danes are acutely aware of the situation and there is plenty to distract us from the weather :-)

Cynic Eldron stems more from "the system". I don't think the geographical, political and financial systems in place at the moment are flexible enough to avert "end of days". That said - humans are pretty adept at surviving and when a big enough epiphany happens they tend to panic and get **** done.

No absolution at all was intended - every little thing we do will prolong life so I'm pro "greening" - much more now that I am living in a country where it is ingrained into culture/life.

I'm with you on population control - that is the problem - the rest of the items you mentioned are symptoms of the problem.

So couldn't it be argued that deciding to have 1 child instead of 2 or 3 has a much greater and longer impact on mother earth than 1 person moving to a plant based diet?

I know we can do both, but if we had to only choose 1 option, which has the greater impact on earth over the next 100 years?

Till humans stop uncontrolled breeding the world is set in its downward spiral...my bit for the world? Having No kids...I'm glad to see as well quite a few adults in their mid 20's also opting not to breed.

So couldn't it be argued that deciding to have 1 child instead of 2 or 3 has a much greater and longer impact on mother earth than 1 person moving to a plant based diet?

I know we can do both, but if we had to only choose 1 option, which has the greater impact on earth over the next 100 years?

I don't think it needs to be argued - less people will have a much greater impact on the planet than how those people live (within reason of course).

The second question sounds a lot like the whataboutery that you always complain about :-)

Agreed.

AI - I think can very easily become humans version 2. We're serving them so willingly and effectively so far.

I don't think it needs to be argued - less people will have a much greater impact on the planet than how those people live (within reason of course).

The second question sounds a lot like the whataboutery that you always complain about :-)

Please explain that accusation? I asked if given the option, which would have the greater impact. And I know the best answer, is "do both". But that is easier said than done.

Edited by Patchelicious