The Flat Bar Gravel Bike - could this be THE BIKE FOR SA?

Farrnus

Hi Guys,

been seeing a few custom builds being done with Gravel Bikes being converted to Flat Bar versions.

below is just another example of one done recently with our FARR OUT Cromo Frame-Kit.

some interesting points to consider:

1. it's gonna be efficient and fast ( no moving frame parts )

2. it's gonna require less maintenance ( again, no suspension = no maintenance of forks, shocks etc )

3. it's able to be fast ON ROAD and also work OFF ROAD

4. Gravel Bikes have a mix of ROAD and MTB geometry so you get a different rider positioning --- more upright than a MTB, less aggressive than a ROAD bike ( i.e. also less skittish )

5. modern technology like thru-axles, disc-brakes

what are thoughts ( haters gonna hate but let's here WHY YOU HATE IT? )

ps. it's a 1990 Mountain Bike is not a reason to hate it! ( why, simple, they never had tubeless wheels, disc brakes or through-axles )

post-121972-0-37056000-1539869940_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically a rigid MTB?

remember when we used to call rigid mountain bikes with 700c wheels "hybrids"

Just my opinion which is related to my riding - I love gravel bikes because I'm a closet roadie and they have dropbars - I ride a lot of gravel and bought myself a really nice upmarket gravel grinder because I really wanted to believe - after a few months I realised my hardtail was faster and so much more comfortable - narrower tyres and at 7.7kgs, this does the trick - the only thing I'm going to change is the handlebars - I've been testing the Farrbar on another bike and its the business for these rides

Some guys are tough enough but I'm not  - I want a bit of travel pleasse

post-81229-0-19483500-1539871088_thumb.jpg

post-81229-0-20801300-1539871135_thumb.jpg

So basically a rigid MTB?

yes, with a taller head tube, longer wheelbase, different gearing, shorter front fork, different offset and trail numbers and basically a totally different ride characteristic 

so apart from those differences - a rigid MTB  :w00t:

a steel frame flat bar gravel bike ...............is an MTB from 1980 ^_^  so its not new its OOOOLD

yes, then we added Disc Brakes, front and rear thru axles, a new 142 x 12 rear standard and some 2018 drivetrain technology - BOOM! we have a 2018 Flat Bar Gravel Monster 

yes, with a taller head tube, longer wheelbase, different gearing, shorter front fork, different offset and trail numbers and basically a totally different ride characteristic 

so apart from those differences - a rigid MTB  :w00t:

Yeah, but if you put a 440mm rigid fork on an older hardtail frame you land up with similar numbers... I have an old Niner Sir9 1st gen with 440mm carbon forks in and the geo sits at 'perfect' gravel bike numbers but with 2.4 29er clearence. Install schwalbe G-One tubeless tires and your rolling resistance is almost nothing.

The EBB means I can comfortable run a 40 tooth on the front and suddenly you're looking at a rigid MTB with the same ride characteristics........

Just saying. It's not the perfect bike for SA.

Everyone is constantly trying to reinvent the wheel. I love your products and I am not being anti Farrnus, but a spade is a spade is a spade.....

I find the riding position the drops allow to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of a gravel bike. Ticking off miles on dirt roads doesn't have the same satisfaction on my MTB. Why go with skinny tyres, road-like gearing and geometry to just sit upright like a mountain bike? Perhaps my understanding of gravel riding is too narrow.

Wouldn't a hardtail MTB better suit someone who isn't happy on dropped bars? Are there benefits to a flat bar that I'm missing?

That said, I can imagine that less agile or confident riders may appreciate the hybrid position and components for road riding instead of using a road bike or full MTB. I know my father has been asking me about such a bike for ages. I suppose they'd also make for good commuter bikes.

yes, then we added Disc Brakes, front and rear thru axles, a new 142 x 12 rear standard and some 2018 drivetrain technology - BOOM! we have a 2018 Flat Bar Gravel Monster 

ok if you like but i think the above posts cover it - the attraction to gravel bikes is about the cool new look flared drop bars and not to similarities to an 80s hybrid mtb

no flared drop bars and no ones going to think " Ooo look how cool that fella looks on his new grevel bike "...they going to think "whys that okie riding his dad's old 80s hybrid MTB" and you know grevel biking is all about how cool and modern you look lol  ^_^

As far as I know this is the only brand that has a bike like this on offer in SA? I've never seen one in a shop so for someone looking for a bike to do endurance events or long commutes or even some propper training on I believe that this bike is perfect...

Sure, many guys have built bikes similar to this one but they had to build it themselves, none of them walked into a shop and bought one. For the people who does not have access to all the tools, knowledge or time I really think this bike is one to consider!

Well done guys, keep it up!

As far as I know this is the only brand that has a bike like this on offer in SA? I've never seen one in a shop so for someone looking for a bike to do endurance events or long commutes or even some propper training on I believe that this bike is perfect...

So there is nothing available today that you can do endurance events, or long commutes, or proper training on?

Please explain "proper training"? Sounds like a new concept i've not heard of before. :unsure:

after a few months I realised my hardtail was faster and so much more comfortable 

Also thinking along these lines

Gravel bike vs light hardtail

Archived