The Flat Bar Gravel Bike - could this be THE BIKE FOR SA?

Farrnus

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flat Bar Friday

SS CX bikes? I only see a gear shifter on the top one...

SSCX guys ride flat bars for the leverage.. It's a special allowance in the race rules.... Just saying

SS CX bikes? I only see a gear shifter on the top one...

SSCX guys ride flat bars for the leverage.. It's a special allowance in the race rules.... Just saying

they really are very cool!!! maybe time for a Flat Bar SS CX Thread?  :ph34r:

they really are very cool!!! maybe time for a Flat Bar SS CX Thread?  :ph34r:

They are... Been lucky enough to go to SSCXWC... I remember beer and mud and muddy beer

The bikes look great but I would rather splash my money on a hardtail. Having said that these could be great if you needed a commuter that can handle a mixture of gravel and tar! 

Weekend contribution to the #flatbar thread.

this cool build done by Raoul De Jongh in Cape Town - our FARR OUT Cromo Frame-Kit with a mix-and-match of parts bin stuff! 

post-121972-0-73936300-1540628837_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

this cool build done by Raoul De Jongh in Cape Town - our FARR OUT Cromo Frame-Kit with a mix-and-match of parts bin stuff! 

Tom Ritchey just called. He said we've been here before.  ;)

But this is just a MTB?

I ride a rigid SS, have done forever, is it now classified as a Gravel Bike?

My Zero29...

One thing that it is missing are the rear lugs to attach a rack and paniers, so any reasonably priced frame with them would get my money.... Pedaled from London to Edinburgh on a touring bike in July, and the paniers were brilliant..

Tom

post-44068-0-33400800-1543216840_thumb.jpg

Tom Ritchey just called. He said we've been here before.  ;)

pls tell Uncle Tom we really like his brand new, very exciting 2019 ULTRA steel frame hardtail. we just wish he'd stop calling it an XC bike  :ph34r:

But this is just a MTB?

I ride a rigid SS, have done forever, is it now classified as a Gravel Bike?

cool, just add different frame geometry, spacing so you can run nice Aero Disc Road Wheels for those fast commutes and you have a look-a-like  :w00t:

All the while, Shimano and SRAM have different pull ratios for MTB and Road groupsets, so if you want to put drops on a MTB or put a flatbar on a gravel bike, you can't just change the shifters, you also got to change the derailleurs.

:cursing: 

cool, just add different frame geometry, spacing so you can run nice Aero Disc Road Wheels for those fast commutes and you have a look-a-like  :w00t:

Well no, you have a look-a-like...

That Geo on the "new" frame is probably pretty close to my "old school" MTB geo...

All the while, Shimano and SRAM have different pull ratios for MTB and Road groupsets, so if you want to put drops on a MTB or put a flatbar on a gravel bike, you can't just change the shifters, you also got to change the derailleurs.

:cursing:

Not true for Sram. Both road and mtb have 1:1 pull ratio. I run Red shifters with XO Derailleurs.

Archived