[Event] Tshwane Classic

Forthelove

I agree with that solution. 

It should work for most out-of-towners.

But I suspect the big motivator here is that sponsors are promised feet through their doors during number collection, which drives sales and thus puts money back in their pockets.

So supplying all riders with the option of on-the-day number collection takes possible sales revenue away from sponsors. But I think people like myself will still go to mid-week number collection if it is feasible, thus avoiding the queues on race day and the unnecessary stress. So the drop in sales revenue should be minimal.

"Uncollected numbers for riders who can't get to registration venues will be available at the Race Village on the morning from 04h30 - 05h30"

From the seeding email sent just now

The easiest is to allow collection on the morning of the event, like we (my race) have provided for, for many years. Other races don’t do it, and it seems this one doesn’t allow it either.

It's the Tshwane classic so obviously Tshwane will be the collection point. If you are from other side midrand then it's not Tshwane so be prepared to come to Tshwane to collect your number. It will only consume 3 hours of your Strava to come get your number so it won't effect your PB. O and P.S read the mail if you can't collect at the Tshwane collection points you can collect on race morning at the race village. So pukker up and enjoy the ride. See all you AL's there

1. I'm not taking part in the event - elected to run the Soweto 21.1Km instead, so I'll never receive an email with the notification that on-the-day collection is allowed.

2. It doesn't show on their website that numbers can be collected on the day as of now (12:10).

post-1372-0-16600600-1572343860_thumb.png

3. Number collection in general is a pain in the butt, that won't go away. Organisers don't have the resources to control an automated system that some propose - Send a QR code, and the organisers can scan the riders in at the start. I'm a fencing-sitter on this one... as a cyclist, I'm with those that dislike the inconvenience of number collection, but knowing what happens behind the scenes, I'm with the organisers, race offices and officials on the other side.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blah blah blah.................

3. Number collection in general is a pain in the butt, that won't go away. Organisers don't have the resources to control an automated system that some propose - Send a QR code, and the organisers can scan the riders in at the start. I'm a fencing-sitter on this one... as a cyclist, I'm with those that dislike the inconvenience of number collection, but knowing what happens behind the scenes, I'm with the organisers, race offices and officials on the other side.

BS.

Go ask the Trailseeker series organisers.  They handle around 1000-2000 entrants with automated - no need to get numbers - system.

And it works.  

Seeding is done good and they obviously make some money.  And they host CSA athletes.

Just ask them and see where it takes you........maybe they have an idea or two that you can use that can get your events to grow like theirs did........

Just a thought...........

BS.

Go ask the Trailseeker series organisers. They handle around 1000-2000 entrants with automated - no need to get numbers - system.

And it works.

Seeding is done good and they obviously make some money. And they host CSA athletes.

Just ask them and see where it takes you........maybe they have an idea or two that you can use that can get your events to grow like theirs did........

Just a thought...........

That would be MTB? Correct?

With our MTB event, there was no need for anyone to go to number collection unless... (1) they wanted to enter late, (2) collect a race number board, which they could’ve collected on the day, or (3) they like to spend money at the hosting bike shop.

Road racing needs to go the permanent number route - one number for the year, which for licensed, is easy (it gets issued with your license), and you can keep it if you renew for the new year - unless moving up an age category. Open seeded don’t need a sequential number, but Racetec believe otherwise.

That would be MTB? Correct?

With our MTB event, there was no need for anyone to go to number collection unless... (1) they wanted to enter late, (2) collect a race number board, which they could’ve collected on the day, or (3) they like to spend money at the hosting bike shop.

Road racing needs to go the permanent number route - one number for the year, which for licensed, is easy (it gets issued with your license), and you can keep it if you renew for the new year - unless moving up an age category. Open seeded don’t need a sequential number, but Racetec believe otherwise.

Agreed.

Racetec needs to wake up then!

Racetec is linked via my ID number and the chip number, which is relatively permament. Why not just use this for Open seeded.

It is not like the race numbers on our backs get you into the start pens, I have entered into at least one start pen without my number on my back due to not being able to meet up with my buddy who picked up my number, nobody stopped me.

The seeding updates are also heavily delayed. The results from Amashova, and updated seedings which would follow hasn't been posted as yet.

Seeding from Amashova has been updated now.

All the weather models currently agree that Sunday is going to be a lovely day for riding.

If you are still on the fence about joining us, just think how lovely it will be to ride in 14°C to 27°C with clear skies and barely a breeze blowing.

You can still enter at the registration venues.

Cycle Lab Fourways
Wednesday 30 October 2019, from 10:00 – 17:00

The Bicycle Company Centurion
Thursday 31 October 2019, from 10:00 – 17:00

Solomons Cycles, Pretoria East, Gift Acres Shopping Centre, Lynnwood Road
Friday 1 November 2019, from 10:00-17:00

Solomons Cycles, Pretoria North (529 Gerrit Maritz Street)
Saturday 2 November 2019, from 09:00 – 13:00

PS. I have no affiliation with the event, except that it is the only big race in my town, so I really hope this becomes a successful, sustainable annual event.

post-27827-0-19217200-1572413638_thumb.png

Seeding from Amashova has been updated now.

Thanks, I see that. nice improvement of almost 16 points on my seeding. Need a few more good results to get back to where I left off.

Doesn't the Trapnet qualify as a big event? Asking for a friend  :rolleyes:.

All the weather models currently agree that Sunday is going to be a lovely day for riding.

If you are still on the fence about joining us, just think how lovely it will be to ride in 14°C to 27°C with clear skies and barely a breeze blowing.

You can still enter at the registration venues.

Cycle Lab Fourways
Wednesday 30 October 2019, from 10:00 – 17:00

The Bicycle Company Centurion
Thursday 31 October 2019, from 10:00 – 17:00

Solomons Cycles, Pretoria East, Gift Acres Shopping Centre, Lynnwood Road
Friday 1 November 2019, from 10:00-17:00

Solomons Cycles, Pretoria North (529 Gerrit Maritz Street)
Saturday 2 November 2019, from 09:00 – 13:00

PS. I have no affiliation with the event, except that it is the only big race in my town, so I really hope this becomes a successful, sustainable annual event.

Doesn't the Trapnet qualify as a big event? Asking for a friend  :rolleyes:.

:devil: Nope, Centurion is not in my town  :devil:

On a serious note. I want to support all the events in the Pretoria area. I tried driving to events in the South of Gauteng but the shlep is just not worth it.

Tshwane Classic has the buy-in from the Municipality and they are trying to do Full Road Closure as much as is possible, more so than any other event in our area, so I really want it to succeed.

Partial road-closures on the outskirts of town aren't fun when the wind is blowing and you have cars coming both ways.

Very true! I have some friends doing it as well - they're trying to get me to join, you may just have convinced me  :w00t:

:devil: Nope, Centurion is not in my town  :devil:

On a serious note. I want to support all the events in the Pretoria area. I tried driving to events in the South of Gauteng but the shlep is just not worth it.

Tshwane Classic has the buy-in from the Municipality and they are trying to do Full Road Closure as much as is possible, more so than any other event in our area, so I really want it to succeed.

Partial road-closures on the outskirts of town aren't fun when the wind is blowing and you have cars coming both ways.

I've been checking out the route for Sunday. Am I missing something, or is there no info on water points or road closure anywhere on the website?