[Event] Tshwane Classic

Forthelove

Which hiker are you? :P

The shame  :ph34r: . Yeah keeping way left just after the steep bit. Actually got back on just after that, and made it almost to the top. The final climb I just said screw it and pushed through though, 

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put my gopro footage of the climb on youtube here:

Something to watch on the indoor trainer to motivate you not to be a walker next year (and maybe to motivate other walkers not to take up the whole road)

Thanks so much for posting this! Yesterday it was just pushing through, focusing on the road ahead and repeating the mantra "push...pull..push...pull..." The video provides an opportunity to relive and, dare I say "enjoy" the climb post-torture and off the bike!

And well done on a proper power-climb!

Something to watch on the indoor trainer to motivate you not to be a walker next year (and maybe to motivate other walkers not to take up the whole road)

Great video to instill the fomo! The climb looks hectic! It also looks very narrow- would you say it is safe/wide enough to ride alone on a weekend?

PS: lady at 4:28, where is your bike???

Great video to instill the fomo! The climb looks hectic! It also looks very narrow- would you say it is safe/wide enough to ride alone on a weekend?

PS: lady at 4:28, where is your bike???

I've ridden it on a Sunday afternoon without feeling too unsafe, but I wouldn't want to have to contend with traffic and the climb. I knew a guy when I was studying that rode it everyday at peak hour as part of his commute though. If I remember correctly, he said the descent was more sketchy than the climb cos there's literally no shoulder, so I'd definitely avoid that. 

I've ridden it on a Sunday afternoon without feeling too unsafe, but I wouldn't want to have to contend with traffic and the climb. I knew a guy when I was studying that rode it everyday at peak hour as part of his commute though. If I remember correctly, he said the descent was more sketchy than the climb cos there's literally no shoulder, so I'd definitely avoid that. 

Have ridden it plenty times after work, the traffic is so slow going up and there is a bit of a "gutter" on the LHS that keeps you safe. The downhill is pretty hairy though, but mostly the cars go so slow that you just go down with them.

Sounds like an E-bike :whistling:  :whistling: :whistling:  :whistling:  

I do agree pushers should perhaps walk on the left hand side, but it wasn't THAT bad to get through?  (I could only see maybe 2 or 3 'blockages'? )  I didn't listen to the sound on the clip but a 'passing left/right' might have been suffice to alleviate the situation?

Edited by Pieter-za

Very cool, amazing how many people walked. TBH, I only kept on riding because I knew the first section is the really bad part, once you are over that it is ride-able. (albeit slowly) I think a lot of guys didn't know and gave up too quickly. Agreed on the walkers, keep left if you're going to hike.

I think a lot of people underestimated that first bit - when I started the climb there were at least 2 people who were stopped in their tracks by the gradient, obviously much quicker than expected, and then couldn't suddenly uncleat and just hit the deck. I'm sure there were many more of those.

I think a lot of people underestimated that first bit - when I started the climb there were at least 2 people who were stopped in their tracks by the gradient, obviously much quicker than expected, and then couldn't suddenly uncleat and just hit the deck. I'm sure there were many more of those.

My SO was one of them - she just said she didn't underestimate the climb but overestimated her power  ;)

Yeah, the climb was brutal. From the start of the concrete I averaged 3.8w/kg at 62rpm to go at basically 10km/h. Didn't have any more in my legs after sitting on the front for almost the whole way back in on the freeway.

Big Shout out to the organisers of Tshwane Classic 2018 - 2 years in and it ticks many of the critical road racing boxes like:

1. Cost - with prices going up for road races it was awesome to see this one nice and affordable.

2. Route - the new way out to the freeway was a great improvement - 

3. Safety - full road closures is a huge win (only 3 other road races i know do that)

4. Finish - bolting up freedom hill to the finish line nice and tough for those that are still left.

5. Marshalling - top draw ensuring safe and fair racing within each group.

In time this could rival the others - thank you Tshwane - what an absolute blast :)

EINA EINA EINA - great going mate WOW