The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Why did you give up?

My own experience mirrors some of what I hear from other long term vegans.

Blood work. Things may only start to show up after quite a few years.

Time spend out of the city in the country actually growing my own food.

Veganism is largely an urban phenomenon. I believe it comes about from a disconnection from nature. Disconnection from the cycle of birth and death. We have zero real exposure to that living in a city. We have no connection with animals besides our pets. Then you watch one of those movies and read the China study. The abuse animals suffer in factory farms is intolerable. Perhaps humans great crime. Stopping eating meat is a logical step. But when you remove yourself from a big city environment you really get to understand our place in nature and things change.

Just to add - some country folks I know that hunt or manage their own animals for food are more vegan then any vegan I ever met i.e. they really love animals and respect them in a way that city people will never understand.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Veganism is largely an urban phenomenon. I believe it comes about from a disconnection from nature. Disconnection from the cycle of birth and death. We have zero real exposure to that living in a city. We have no connection with animals besides our pets. Then you watch one of those movies and read the China study. The abuse animals suffer in factory farms is intolerable. Perhaps humans great crime. Stopping eating meat is a logical step. But when you remove yourself from a big city environment you really get to understand our place in nature and things change.

Just to add - some country folks I know that hunt or manage their own animals for food are more vegan then any vegan I ever met i.e. they really love animals and respect them in a way that city people will never understand.

Very interesting point and well argued. 

If you don’t mind sharing, what “things”. Do you believe it to be inherent in a plant-based diet or just the manner in which you applied it?

I unfortunately can’t agree with killing animals as being “vegan”. You can’t ethically and respectfully exploit and kill an individual.

Unfortunately urbanisation is a modern day reality and will continue to increase into the future. The fantasy of living on a piece of land and being self-sufficient is not feasible for a population of 7 billion (10billion by 2050) and is not a justification for animal exploitation.

If you don’t mind sharing, what “things”. Do you believe it to be inherent in a plant-based diet or just the manner in which you applied it?

I unfortunately can’t agree with killing animals as being “vegan”. You can’t ethically and respectfully exploit and kill an individual.

Unfortunately urbanisation is a modern day reality and will continue to increase into the future. The fantasy of living on a piece of land and being self-sufficient is not feasible for a population of 7 billion (10billion by 2050) and is not a justification for animal exploitation.

South Africa is at least 10 years behind the other places I have lived and we are slow to catch on. The vegan movement is only just gaining momentum here and the lessons still have to be learned. That can only come with time. Lets check back in another 6 years or so when you been on this way of eating for a decent length of time.

Anyway I'm out. I just wanted to share my experience and perhaps help people like you that are new to this. Cheers.

South Africa is at least 10 years behind the other places I have lived and we are slow to catch on. The vegan movement is only just gaining momentum here and the lessons still have to be learned. That can only come with time. Lets check back in another 6 years or so when you been on this way of eating for a decent length of time.

Anyway I'm out. I just wanted to share my experience and perhaps help people like you that are new to this. Cheers.

Very cryptic, but okay.

I am so proud of my sister, she has become a far less "militant vegan", so now we can actually have a conversation again without her preaching to me, but really take about life choices, etc

Certainly do not have any "issues" with vegans as long as they accept their life decisions are their life decisions and to leave it at that.

Personally I also feel that you would "convert" more people to your movement if you approach future vegans in a more passive manner.

Personally I also feel that you would "convert" more people to your movement if you approach future vegans in a more passive manner.

Why? Is veganism now so far removed from a dietary choice that they feel the need to "convert" non believers? Like a sect. They shouldn't approach anyone. Next thing they will be knocking on doors like bloody jehovas witnesses.

I am so proud of my sister, she has become a far less "militant vegan", so now we can actually have a conversation again without her preaching to me, but really take about life choices, etc

Certainly do not have any "issues" with vegans as long as they accept their life decisions are their life decisions and to leave it at that.

Why? Is veganism now so far removed from a dietary choice that they feel the need to "convert" non believers? Like a sect. They shouldn't approach anyone. Next thing they will be knocking on doors like bloody jehovas witnesses.

You mean: Leading by example? No preaching allowed? That's going to be a tough life choice! :whistling:

It’s important to keep in mind that veganism isn’t about vegans. It’s about the animals that suffer due to our decision to exploit them. That’s why vegans speak on their behalf.

Can we honestly say that exploitation is a ‘personal choice’ and shouldn’t be questioned. We don’t apply that logic to those who exploit women, children, etc. so why do we apply it when it comes to animals?

That I have no problem with. God gave us animals to eat and he said everything is good...BUT God didn't give us processed meat. 1 serving of processed meat a day increases some cancer to 18% https://www.pcrm.org/good-nutrition/nutrition-information/processed-meat

If people could only cut stuff like that out of their diets. I'm vegan because of the health reasons. But not like my brother for moral reasons.

If people could only cut stuff like that out of their diets. I'm vegan because of the health reasons. But not like my brother for moral reasons.

But vegan diets are not healthy, thus the need for supplements. I agree, processed foods are unhealthy, we eat no processed food whatsoever. You want a healthy diet? Eat meat in moderation and stick to whole foods.