The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Kroger - the US's largest 'traditional' grocer with just over 3000 stores is also rolling out store-brand plant-based 'meatless' alternatives. One - they don't want to get left behind, two - they need to reinvigorate their brand.

It keeps growing...

Based on the pricing of 'vegan friendly' branded items, this is simply a move to higher margins for many retailers and manufacturers. Of course it will be branded as becoming sustainable and animal friendly, because that's what sells product.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m against rape too. But I’m hoping that as we fight it’s awareness and prevention my kids don’t get subjected to live video of cellphone gang rape via an almost uncontrollable media platform.

"Fighting it's awareness and prevention"? You want to fight the prevention and awareness of rape? I'm assuming you forgot "for". 

Do you think that the first step in the fight is not to participate in that which you want to fight against and raise awareness? 

Also keep in mind that you and your lad chose to click on 'Uncover Video'. It's not Instagram's fault. 

"Fighting it's awareness and prevention"? You want to fight the prevention and awareness of rape? I'm assuming you forgot "for".

Do you think that the first step in the fight is not to participate in that which you want to fight against and raise awareness?

Also keep in mind that you and your lad chose to click on 'Uncover Video'. It's not Instagram's fault.

Interesting you’ve moved this to the Veeeg thread, as my opinion is not isolated to just this topic, but ok.

As I’ve said many times before, I am all for people driving awareness, it’s the execution of the message that I have issues with. Perhaps some of the “resistance” people get on certain topics is not the topic itself but the way it’s delivered to an audience. Be impactful, but do a better job at it.

Fair that Instagram are doing their part, but it’s a reactive feature. If people were more careful at what they posted it would not be needed. When I as an adult click to uncover the video, I know what I’m about to subject myself too, my 13 year old boy does not, now I sit with the fallout, I would prefer to teach and expose my kids to “life” as and when I believe they are ready (and no, I don’t have blinkers on). You honestly believe that kids have the maturity and understanding to deal what what they get subjected to because a celebrity feels like it.

Interesting you’ve moved this to the Veeeg thread, as my opinion is not isolated to just this topic, but ok.

As I’ve said many times before, I am all for people driving awareness, it’s the execution of the message that I have issues with. Perhaps some of the “resistance” people get on certain topics is not the topic itself but the way it’s delivered to an audience. Be impactful, but do a better job at it.

Fair that Instagram are doing their part, but it’s a reactive feature. If people were more careful at what they posted it would not be needed. When I as an adult click to uncover the video, I know what I’m about to subject myself too, my 13 year old boy does not, now I sit with the fallout, I would prefer to teach and expose my kids to “life” as and when I believe they are ready (and no, I don’t have blinkers on). You honestly believe that kids have the maturity and understanding to deal what what they get subjected to because a celebrity feels like it.

Dude, I would throw cases of Bells at you if you were near.

tenor.gif

Moved it here to not derail the F1 thread. 

My question is this: if it were moral and natural to exploit animals they way that we do, why then the need to censor and hide it? We feed our children burgers and steak, but balk at the idea of showing them what goes into getting that piece of 'meat' on their plate? 

You wouldn't take issue with your kid watching strawberries being picked, but take issue with a common way in which cows are slaughtered. 

24c4b488ecfbeaba70f389fd1a5571fb.jpg

Doing my part for this thread today.

Ok, that’s a lie, I’m having a lekker lunch today, just turns out it’s good for the world too.

Serious question here...

What is the general consensus on vegan substitutes for meat, eg vegan chicken etc.

My wife uses quite a lot of those things and I really dont like them, they detract from the great flavours of the vegetables in the meal.

The other issue I have with them is that most are pretty close to being pure gluten and it doesnt agree with my digestive system. I have read that gluten intolerance isnt real, but trust me its real for me. My wife tried to sneak in some stuff when I didnt know about it and it hit badly. Its not a placebo thing, at least not for me!

Serious question here...

What is the general consensus on vegan substitutes for meat, eg vegan chicken etc.

My wife uses quite a lot of those things and I really dont like them, they detract from the great flavours of the vegetables in the meal.

The other issue I have with them is that most are pretty close to being pure gluten and it doesnt agree with my digestive system. I have read that gluten intolerance isnt real, but trust me its real for me. My wife tried to sneak in some stuff when I didnt know about it and it hit badly. Its not a placebo thing, at least not for me!

From my understanding, gluten sensitivity is a real thing, so it could definitely have an effect. I've also read that many folks who have IBS or other digestive issues (which worsens responses to gluten), actually also have SIBO. So, perhaps that's something to look at (but take this as a WebMD symptom search result - "It's brain cancer!").

Personally, I love seitan, but proper seitan and not gluten loaded mock meats. We eat this about once a week and it's great: https://www.bertyn.eu/en/product/veggie-protein-steak-wheat/

There's a lot of garbage meat replacers (IMHO), so I try to minimize those and focus on whole foods. 

From my understanding, gluten sensitivity is a real thing, so it could definitely have an effect. I've also read that many folks who have IBS or other digestive issues (which worsens responses to gluten), actually also have SIBO. So, perhaps that's something to look at (but take this as a WebMD symptom search result - "It's brain cancer!").

Personally, I love seitan, but proper seitan and not gluten loaded mock meats. We eat this about once a week and it's great: https://www.bertyn.eu/en/product/veggie-protein-steak-wheat/

There's a lot of garbage meat replacers (IMHO), so I try to minimize those and focus on whole foods. 

Seitan is fairly close to pure gluten, I have had a few different items with it and while it tastes ok it doesnt agree with me.

I definitely agree on the pure whole foods, nothing beats good veggies prepared well.

There is very little meat related that I have missed so that is a plus.

On a side note, what do you do about braais? my brother has been cooking those horrible Fry's sausages for the last few years at a braai. I call them carboardies because its about how they come out after being on the braai!

Seitan is fairly close to pure gluten, I have had a few different items with it and while it tastes ok it doesnt agree with me.

I definitely agree on the pure whole foods, nothing beats good veggies prepared well.

On a side note, what do you do about braais? my brother has been cooking those horrible Fry's sausages for the last few years at a braai. I call them carboardies because its about how they come out after being on the braai!

On the odd occassion that the weather allows, we'll do a very veggie heavy braai: scorched butternut, zucchini, peppers, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. If we decide on a meat replacement type thing, we'll either go for something like that seitan I linked or a Incredible Burger. 

Thing is with seitan is that it has a low moisture content and is pre-cooked, so throwing it on a scorching hot braai is going to end in tears. You need to use a cool fire and not overcook it. Thing about that Bertyn seitan is that it's pre-marinated, so it's nice and juicy once cooked. 

There's a SA brand, Herbi-Vohr, that make interesting looking stuff, but I haven't tried it yet. I suspect it's also seitan-based, so might not be your thing.   

Serious question here...

I also used to think this, until I met someone who would be flat on her back for days thanks to 1 slice of pizza or the like. It really sucks. 

Serious question here...

We like Quorn fake chicken, both schnitzels and the fillet jobbies which are great thrown into a slower-cooking sauce.

Woolies fake chicken is average, fake beef burgers pretty grim. I think I've both enjoyed and thrown away some of their sausages, but its a pretty rare purchase.

Soy mince, I think also Quorn, can be a funny texture if you concentrate too hard but good in bolognaise type sauces.

Herbi-vohr, we've bought a few of their fake biltong stuff and its surprisingly growing on me. Fake bacon pretty good - its only the crunch you're after at the end of the day.... We tried their seitan ribs last weekend, hoping to find the same thing as one of the Hudsons burgers I mentioned a while ago, it wasn't the same, we won't be rushing back to buy it again.

Apart from those we don't buy fake anything else. They're certainly far from our everyday staple. 

I usually fry up the sausages first...add some onions, garlic, chili and mushrooms or what you fancy, add a little bit of pkt mushroom soup and a touch of water, cook for a minute or two to thicken and then chuck everything into some tin foil, double wrap the foil and these are good to go on the braai, chuck them on, leave them for 10 minutes and tha'ts that sorted (leaving you with plenty of free time to answer the inevitable 'oh so you are a vegan/vegetarian....how do you get your protein...!).

Usually someone will help you scoff these sausages done this way as well....! 

Or if I don't have time to prep for a braai then I just coat the sausages in some olive oil or whatever oil the braai host has...add some spices and just cook them quickly before they have a chance to get too 'dry' if you know what I mean...