The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Good question.

Veganism is a lifestyle that avoids use of animal derived products where possible. So no leather car interior, no leather belts, no honey, some extreme vegans wont eat Avocados as bees are used in the fertilisation process thus making them an "animal product". 

Plant based is a diet. You eat veggies while wearing a woolen jumper. You use animal products, but don't eat anything from an animal.

Veganism is becoming a synonym (especially from a marketing POV) for plant based, but they are actually quite different.

Absolutely right. 

I wear leather items on my motorcycles, i think my cycling shoes are leather (kangaroo i think) etc etc. Veganism is the whole 9 yards. 

But i already own these items and throwing perfectly functioning kit out is probably very wasteful thus will wear them til the fall off. I will be more thoughtful with their replacements though but esp on motorcyles leather is the go to. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a pretty interesting search engine that is looking to do some good.
They donate a large percentage of their profits to initiatives that mainly involve planting trees, amongst others. Their financial reports are available to view on the website.

https://www.ecosia.org/

They are still a little lacking when compared to google, but this is easily remedied by just adding #g at the end of your search parameter.

Looks like a very easy way to support someone doing some good for the planet.

Found a pretty interesting search engine that is looking to do some good.

They donate a large percentage of their profits to initiatives that mainly involve planting trees, amongst others. Their financial reports are available to view on the website.

https://www.ecosia.org/

They are still a little lacking when compared to google, but this is easily remedied by just adding #g at the end of your search parameter.

Looks like a very easy way to support someone doing some good for the planet.

"Your search won't help plant a tree." They made me feel guilty. ????

We just had this for dinner and it was really good.

We did add some sugar to tone down the tomato and our own cheese sauce, but it was good.

https://ohsheglows.com/2017/11/10/cheesy-lentil-bolognese-casserole-celebrating-9-years/

If you’re a nachos person I also made good nachos with 2 types of beans mixed into the salsa which was also good.

Update on our progress, we seem to have settled into meat free meals 3 to 4 days of the week.

We did add some sugar to tone down the tomato and our own cheese sauce, but it was good.

https://ohsheglows.com/2017/11/10/cheesy-lentil-bolognese-casserole-celebrating-9-years/

If you’re a nachos person I also made good nachos with 2 types of beans mixed into the salsa which was also good.

Update on our progress, we seem to have settled into meat free meals 3 to 4 days of the week.

I blend tofu, nutritional yeast and a few cashews together to make a cheesey paste, it's not cheese but its worth trying.

Looks tasty, but neither the cheese nor the pasta is vegan. You're eating lacto-ovo vegeterian, and I think that's a good thing.

Looks tasty, but neither the cheese nor the pasta is vegan. You're eating lacto-ovo vegeterian, and I think that's a good thing.

why is it not Vegan?

The recipe is for a cheese free sauce and there are plenty of egg free pastas out there?

I blend tofu, nutritional yeast and a few cashews together to make a cheesey paste, it's not cheese but its worth trying.

Even the most militant tie dyed PETA member would say that is a step too far!

• 1 month later...

must look for that.

Aint egg plant like an emoji for something?

Lol..wasnt even aware of that....Google confirms it is indeed an emoji for a part of the male anatomy....

Even the most militant tie dyed PETA member would say that is a step too far!

Besides that it sounds horrible

Totatlly random but the most profitable vegetable I've ever planted is eggplant.

I've harvested 23 eggplants this year in 1.5m^2 of ground.

I noticed that the eggplants that get more shade are white while the full sun eggplants are purple but they come out as white or purple, they don't turn white or purple.

I also pickled 6 jars of pepperdews.

I've had very bad experience with lettuce and coriander as their lifespan is very short and it doesn't harvest a lot.

I've been successful with rocket,basil, parsley and sage as they have a very long lifespan especially parsley.

Plant vegetables/leaf vegetables that you know you'll eat and plant stuff that are expensive in the grocery store.