Conti GP 5000 Clincher and Tubeless anybody seen them?

CASSIE1975

Report back on testing so far ...

Tyres: GP5000TL 25c @ 80-90 PSI (road tubeless with continental revo sealant)

Distance: Approximately 800kms.

Wear: Minimal

Punctures: None

Routes: "Normal" Cape Town road cycling routes i.e Cape Town Foreshore, Constantia Neck, Cape Point etc.

Its only been 3 weeks but overall, but I'm still very happy with the GP5000TLs. Its still early days, but I haven't had a puncture yet (touch wood). I can see a few cuts on the tread in a few places though and I pulled out a chip of glass around 4mm long that was wedged into tread last week - it was successfully stopped by the vectran layer. On the bright side no punctures is awesome, the roads this time of year are noticeable more full of glass - however from a testing perspective I can't tell how well the sealant works yet.

The ride feel is still great, with the lower pressure and the smoother feel I sometimes have to double check that I don't have a flat - especially over bad roads where its that much more comfortable :). I'm still very much enjoying the improved breaking and cornering, quite a few PRs down Constantia Neck and Chappies where you really notice the difference vs. Gatorskins.

They do tend to lose more air though, the pressure seems to drop by about 10 PSI every 3/4 days. I'm guessing its my rim tape that might need to be replaced, for now I'm just going to keep checking the pressure every few rides and topping up.

Edited by Manuel De Jesus

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't used mine yet, but hoping it works as advertised. :)

So I eventually got around to using the little tyre jack tool, and yes, it certainly helps with getting the tyre on the rim, solving one frustration. :)

Now to find some tools (that work) to help get those stubborn tyres seated. :(

Edited by Thomo

So I eventually got around to using the little tyre jack tool, and yes, it certainly helps with getting the tyre on the rim, solving one frustration. :)

Now to find some tools (that work) to help get those stubborn tyres seated. :(

I was able to get them to seat with just a normal floor pump, the main technique that worked for me was to ensure the complete tire is in the middle of the rim with NO SEALANT, then inflate it and get it seated, then deflate leaving it seated, then add sealant via the value with a syringe (purchased from clicks).

When I tried with the sealant in - it seemed to "lubricate" the contact area and failed. I was almost about to give up, then tried cleaning it and moving the tire to center of the rim and that worked very well. Lots of variables though i.e rim type, sealant type - so may/may not work for you. Good luck ;).

I'll type up an update later but I'm still loving the GP5000s - 3 races and around 2,000km so far, no punctures (more luck I know, but lets hope it continues  :whistling: ). The rear tyre has about 4 pretty bad cuts and is showing quite a bit of wear.

Overall I'm at the point where I won't go back ... might change my tune after that first roadside cursing to get it back on the rim if there is a major fail though! What is super awesome is twice on a horribly rough road, I've stopped and dropped my pressure to around 50/60 PSI and presto - instant shocks, ride is super smooth  :thumbup:

Lots of variables though i.e rim type, sealant type - so may/may not work for you. Good luck ;).

Exactly this.

One was a breeze, the other really got to me. LOL

• 2 years later...
48 minutes ago, splat said:

The 5000 S TR seems to be available locally (in small batches)

As beautiful as they are, I wont be getting them any time soon.
They are more expensive than my car tyres!

https://evobikes.co.za/?s=smartube&post_type=product&type_aws=true&aws_id=1&aws_filter=1&awscat=Form%3A1+Filter%3AAll

From what I understand from the LBS is that Evo bikes did not go through Conti SA.  Thus pricing for early adopters IMO.

I'll wait and see what the cost when they actually do arrive.

Also, the first couple of batches had "issues"......don't know exactly what but reading on actual cycling forums I found that the "v2" should be coming out the factories in Feb and thus why there are shortages worldwide of the GP5000 TR

Edited by Spinnekop

CWC had GP5000TL on special for R1800 a pair last year - but looks like they're out now. Cycle Lab has them at R999 (if you buy 2)

Product Details| CycleLab

They have been pretty good although I would like it if they lasted more than a year's riding - seems to be about their life.

Edited by 100Tours

52 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

CWC had GP5000TL on special for R1800 a pair last year - but looks like they're out now. Cycle Lab has them at R999 (if you buy 2)

They have been pretty good although I would like it if they lasted more than a year's riding - seems to be about their life.

Thanks for the heads-up
I ordered a pair of 25mm TL for my wife's bike

My post was referring to the new updated fancier S version of the TL.

3 minutes ago, splat said:

Thanks for the heads-up
I ordered a pair of 25mm TL for my wife's bike

My post was referring to the new updated fancier S version of the TL.

You mean TR.........the latest "hookless compatible" one

2 hours ago, 100Tours said:

How much do you ride in a year?
I am replacing mine now after 5000km... Tread indicators on the rearwheel are gone.

I don't get good mileage out of them if the indicator is anything to go by. But in saying that I have done about 8000km on a set and only had 2 punctures that I had to internally patch. I suppose its a trade off ant the end of the day. Still very fast tyres ! Original ones are not the lightest but still one of the fastest rolling.

Edited by warick_wrx

6 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

How much do you ride in a year?
I am replacing mine now after 5000km... Tread indicators on the rearwheel are gone.

yes - about 5000km on the tyres according to Strava

Edited by 100Tours

My front tyre also got around 4500km, still some life left, rear got a sidewall cut after 200km, did not replace as they are too tight to fix alongside the road, a tube will never go in

9 minutes ago, LuckyLuke said:

My front tyre also got around 4500km, still some life left, rear got a sidewall cut after 200km, did not replace as they are too tight to fix alongside the road, a tube will never go in

They stretch and relax a bit over time. Before retiring my rear tire I tubed it on the roadside with no more hassle than a normal clincher. This tire was never removed over it's 5000km lifespan so no stretching from multiple fittings.