First bike build, first road bike, 1000 post commemoration

Dirkitech

If you want the TL:DR version, skip to the specs list.

So, since 1000 posts on bikehub is such a hot topic, I've decided to make more of a fuss for reaching this credibility milestone (yay me, but we have the rating system for building credibility too). I thought I'd make a post showing pictures of the final product of my first bike build (not rebuild) and my first road bike (I love it, but lost all my mtb credibility and grew a weird sock obsession). Why is this relevant? Well, I sourced every single part from members on Bikehub!
With that said, I'd like to sincerely thank those members that sold parts to mr student budget over here by accommodating my budget and those that gave me advice! You guys know who you are - thank you :thumbup:  I was hoping to have more recent pictures, one including me sporting fancy new bikehub socks, but Slowbee is too busy mastering the unicycle (it is a good cause, so not complaining, although bikehub socks might save your shins from that pedal slapping action good sir).

I almost sold myself out to a cheap dirty reply-post yesterday, so had to lay off of the hub for a few hours. Then came a fresh trickle of indifference and lack of understanding on the thread regarding the transgender woman world champ, then I watched the video seeing how she won through tactics and not sheer strength (whatever was in their pants at that time had no effect on the tactical decisions made upstairs) and wondered how some people can still defend their stances with pogo sticks for legs, but I digress.

First I had to get the ploy out of the way - if I made anyone look after saying "more on that tomorrow" 2 days ago, bazinga! Otherwise, in light of seemingly tradition on the hub and entertainment threads on Fridays, I'll do my best to entertain. I don't expect to compete with the pleasant read that is "Munga musings from a novice", especially since I won't be employing highly amusing yet profane descriptions of the chemical reaction between pants and stools (not the pants on top kind, but stools on top kind). If you finish reading with a grin, it means you're happy, then I'm happy and Bikehub is happy* and now you gotta go make your bike happy *wink*
*requires confirmation

Time for the good stuff - the specs:
 54cm Edge TT aluminium frame, matching carbon fork, very light, fairly stiff as far as I can tell. Partially internal cable routing. (slightly too small, but it fit my budget and doesn't hurt me while riding with the combination of components, so I'm super happy)
 Full Ultegra 10 speed groupset & components (6700 IIRC)
 Carbon headset spacers, 35mm total
 Syntace Cube aluminium handlebar and stem (super light)
 Generic white foam grip tape (cheapest I could find)
 Bontrager Race Light alloy seatpost
 Saddle: Prologo Naga Evo PAS TiroX, 141mm (didn't skimp here, I care about my bumhole and friends)
 Pedals: Look Keo Classic
 Wheelset: Mavic Aksium front, Fuji CGC Aero 30 rear (got them at an amazing price. They run true, I am happy with zero complaints)
 Tyres: Continental GP4000S2
 Rubbish "Massload" bottlecage. Replaced with a generic alu Merida cage, works perfectly. (I've since chucked it out because it spat out my bottle on the first ride ever (thanks germiston rough tar) and seeing as the frame only fits 1 bottle, that was not fun)
 Skewers bought from Rapide, but pretty sure they are generic chinese skewers.

As is, the bike weights 8.8kg, which is more than light enough to make me happy. I intended on weighing each component prior to assembly, but at the R150 price for a scale, I felt it is money wasted that could be spent on the bike instead (which I did, backup tubes and a tyre!). The road going forward with this bike isn't entirely clear yet. I want to upgrade to a nicer set of wheels eventually, but since I'm hopefully immigrating early next year, I may have to sell this amazing ride due to shipping costs.

Without further rambling, here are the photos:
post-51185-0-80794100-1544170066_thumb.jpg
post-51185-0-64000500-1544170182_thumb.jpg
post-51185-0-08507300-1544170246_thumb.jpg

I had to leave the office so rushed to finish and forgot I wanted to add that if anyone here sees me on the road (me being the bike I suppose), gooi a hoot or wave, but if you don't, I promise I won't post any names to the "why don't roadies wave/greet" thread.

That's how a 1000th post is done!

Enjoy the bike. Sourced-Component, Bought-Assembled (SCBA Bikes - I'm coining that phrase) bikes like these are really special...none of the generic marketing catalog overly expensive crap.

Oh no. And it all comes tumbling down...

eh, is it something I can blame my age for not knowing?

I can now buy from you, you have anything for sale???????????

Don't kid, I do actually have a few extra components that didn't fit the build!

eh, is it something I can blame my age for not knowing?

Don't kid, I do actually have a few extra components that didn't fit the build!

It's a hub tradition that you post a picture of your pride and joy on the couch...

I think rouxjies rule is becoming redundant... Maybe 2000 is the new threshold :)

Hahaha take the couch pics and I'm sure you'll be redeemed!

It's a hub tradition that you post a picture of your pride and joy on the couch...

I think rouxjies rule is becoming redundant... Maybe 2000 is the new threshold :)

Hahaha take the couch pics and I'm sure you'll be redeemed!

Wow, that went straight over my head. I was literally thinking "why do some people put their bikes on the couch?" in the black bike only thread :whistling: 

edit: going to argue that Rouxtjie's rules only count when he is active

Edited by Dirkitech