Cannondale Warranty Issue. I need advice.

JohanDiv

Just heard back from Durwan.

They will put a 46 chainring from another bike in the shop on my bike in place of the 48T I had on. I'm going to miss the 48T, but I guess it's a compromise I'll have to make to get my bike back before the holidays. Otherwise waiting period to early February.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They will put a 46 chainring from another bike in the shop on my bike in place of the 48T I had on. I'm going to miss the 48T, but I guess it's a compromise I'll have to make to get my bike back before the holidays. Otherwise waiting period to early February.

Have they found out why your crank was wobbling ?

Are you sure that it was the chainring and not something else which could lead to you bending the new one ?

Update: FSA has also decleined the warranty. Not 1 of the 2 agents involved do have stock of the blade and the soonest FSA can get stock is 10days. Bike addict will replace the Blade with a one off a new bike we have in store out of good will. We have also had a Shimano representative in store this morning who has confirmed the Front  derailleur setup is done correctly and that the blade could not have bent due to anything Bike Addict could have been at fault with the force that was required to bend the blade to such an extend.

All the other parties involved say it looks like impact damage of some sort.

Old Post:

Here is some pictures of the damaged ring bent to the outisde. An incorrect shift or loose bolts would cause it to bend to the inside not outside.WE are still assisting the customer but 1st had to submit the warranty claim in the correct way. The bike in question is R17 000 and purchased 3 months ago, but that is not what is about. If a customer spends R100 or R50 000 we try to treat everyone the same and fairly and submit warranty claims in the same way. Johan, we would like to discuss the matter with you personally rather and Durwan will contact you. 

That's all they needed to do. Problem solved. Enjoy your bike and have an awesome holiday!

Here is some pictures of the damaged ring bent to the outisde. An incorrect shift or loose bolts would cause it to bend to the inside not outside.WE are still assisting the customer but 1st had to submit the warranty claim in the correct way. The bike in question is R17 000 and purchased 3 months ago, but that is not what is about. If a customer spends R100 or R50 000 we try to treat everyone the same and fairly and submit warranty claims in the same way. Johan, we would like to discuss the matter with you personally rather and Durwan will contact you. 

Then why mention it? Why bring up the price and when it was purchased if you say it doesn't matter?

Update: FSA has also decleined the warranty. Not 1 of the 2 agents involved do have stock of the blade and the soonest FSA can get stock is 10days. Bike addict will replace the Blade with a one off a new bike we have in store out of good will. We have also had a Shimano representative in store this morning who has confirmed the Front  derailleur setup is done correctly and that the blade could not have bent due to anything Bike Addict could have been at fault with the force that was required to bend the blade to such an extend.

All the other parties involved say it looks like impact damage of some sort.

You are going to keep at it making me out as a liar? I'm telling you, there was no impact EVER, anywhere on this bike.

Should I maybe do an analysis report of my Strava ride of exactly where it happened to prove to you that I'm an honest person?

While you are mentioning prices. Why not mention the R60 000 Scott Spark RC900 Pro, the R3000 GPS, the R2000 sunglasses, the R2000 helmet, the endless list of kit, the tubeless conversions, the R4000 bike rack, the services, the thousands of rands of parts. None of it on credit, all cash transactions. My point is I'm a good paying customer, and there is no need for me to make up a lie or waste my time like this to score a free chainring of a few hundred rand. It has become a matter of principle.

You are going to keep at it making me out as a liar? I'm telling you, there was no impact EVER, anywhere on this bike.

Should I maybe do an analysis report of my Strava ride of exactly where it happened to prove to you that I'm an honest person?

While you are mentioning prices. Why not mention the R60 000 Scott Spark RC900 Pro, the R3000 GPS, the R2000 sunglasses, the R2000 helmet, the endless list of kit, the tubeless conversions, the R4000 bike rack, the services, the thousands of rands of parts. None of it on credit, all cash transactions. My point is I'm a good paying customer, and there is no need for me to make up a lie or waste my time like this to score a free chainring of a few hundred rand. It has become a matter of principle.

None of this seems to matter as they gave it to you at some discount, so therefore you got discounted customer service?  :ph34r:  :thumbdown:

Bike Addict's responses here(the terms shortsighted, narrow minded and anal come to mind) are the very reason I stay far away from most LBS and as far as possible do my own work.

I have bumped a few chainrings hard on rocks/pavement lips etc, the impact area gets noticeably mashed, aluminum gets chewed easily and even heavy blows have barely bent the chainring. The huge bend in the op's chainring with almost no signs of impact can only show the chainring bending was not as a result of a heavy blow/impact but rather some kind of defect in the chainring or the assembly of the bike being somehow faulty, chainring bolts not torqued correctly.

Actually maybe the front derailleur rubbing noise that was an issue was as a result of a loose or faulty chainring and not poor derailleur setup, Bike Addict has gone to lengths to say the derailleur setup was fine hence I can only assume the chainring was somehow moving out of true and rubbing on the derailleur and the op mentioned the noise was there from the beginning, that would also explain the chainring eventually failing in such an unusual fashion.

From the OP's first post:

"The next morning I went for my first ride, 3km in I realized that the crank is running "wobbly" and the front derailleur is making a horrible scratching noise every time I'm pedaling with my right foot in the heavier gears. I continued to ride the rest of the 30km in the lighter gears to avoid the scratching sounds. 

I took the bike back to the shop so they can make the necessary adjustments to sort out the scratching. 

The bike came back, and still the scratching was there, they couldn't adjust it enough to stop scratching.

A week later(because of the distance from where I live) I took it back again so they can have another crack at it."

Crank feels wobbly and horrible scratching noise when under heavy load.

Something was clearly not right with the crank/chainring or the assembly from the get go and those symptoms are not just from the front derailleur setup being slightly out, something far more serious was out of whack.

Baring any other manufacturing defect coming to light I can only assume this was an assembly or setup issue - that would explain all the manufacturers not being able to entertain a warranty claim, they blame assembly or misuse. And seeing there is no obvious signs of impact damage to the chainring and that there was an issue with the crank/derailleur/chainring area from the very first proper ride on a brand new bike I can only logically see poor assembly must have been the cause of the problem.

Edited by Skylark

What I find mind boggling in this whole thread, you have a good paying customer that spent more than 70k at your bike shop and you quibbling about warranty issues and following the correct procedure.

Put the warranty issues aside, most businesses would go out of their way to assist such a loyal client.

It's not even 1.5% of what this guy spent at your shop.

Clearly it's more about money than good customer service

It's not everyday someone comes to u with this type of scenario.

You've lost more potential customers with your poor handling of the whole situation.

Looks what happened to Momentum, threw the rule book at the client but eventually buckled due to public pressure and outcries.

Don't underestimate how negative social media can impact your business.

Treat your client like you want to be treated.

“there’s no such thing as bad publicity.”  :D 

JK!

Google searches of BIKE ADDICT will bring this up, Hubbers may think less of the shop and will recommend somewhere else to mates. I'm not saying give free tyres to everyone that has a whinge... But maybe.

Read this post with interest. It went from Cannondale warranty issue to Bike Addict business ethics...

Can just say, well done to the OP. You been spot on for bringing up the issues of Cannondale response and not highlighting bike shop for exact reasons as it unfortunately have turned out.

I actually feel for Bike Addict, notably I don't follow all threads on the hub but I thought you at least tried some sort of open and transparency. Maybe it's not what everyone would expect but atleast you came on to the Hub and tried. Well done. For me, I will be in that area on holidays from next week and will swing by and have look at your shop purely based on that you had the balls to come on here and take the chance.

It's a fine balance, between keeping customers happy, profit and dealing with bigger organizations like Omnico/Cannondale that hold the bike shop by in large at ransom.

Hope for all its sorted amicably

We are not saying you are lying, we are saying what the other parties said what the damage looks like. If there was a weak point in the chainring or how it bent we will not know, but we are replacing it out of good will. 

As in my previous post its not about how much or little you spend, but about the correct procedure to follow in a warranty claim.