Cannondale Warranty Issue. I need advice.

JohanDiv

This.

I call BS on the incorrect adjustment story. Chain rubbing is one thing, impact damage is another. No amount of chain rub would bend a ring like that.

The OP needs to put on his big girl panties and accept responsibility for what has gone wrong. That damage was not caused by Cannondale or bike shop setup..

Falco you can call BS all you like, I really do have no reason to lie about this.

The only external force the bike ever saw was me pedaling it. No bumps, no falls, no nothing. You can inspect the bike, there is no scratches or anything else on the bike for them to say it had external impact. Where would you even bump a chainring to look like that without flying over the handlebars?

Omnico made that "assessment" from a few photos. Not actually inspecting the bike. 

And to be honest, I think he is right, it is probably not due to defect of workmanship or material, but rather due to assembly or setup. In other words, the shop that did the assembly/setup, and not Omnico's fault.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My point of view - the rings should have just been replaced and you then sort out the warranty issue in house without needing to worry the customer - he gets his bike and everyone is happy. 

Regarding the damage - I've had similar on my bike before, although it was from a chainring bolt which fell out.  It started with a very small deviance in the chainring which I wrongly assumed would be ok.  It wasn't and a few minutes later the chainring folded like the pictures.  So while the OP's chainring wouldn't have bent like that under a sheer load as described before, it could have done that if there was a small amount of initial damage when he received the bike - possibly from setup / transport / who knows.  But he wasn't happy with the FD area and complained about it.  Then it got significantly worse.  This, in my opinion, is a shop issue and has nothing to do with warranty.  So naturally FSA and Omnico aren't going to accept it.  Why would they? 

Johann, for the price of a chainring you're losing customers and cementing your reputation as a shop with no customer service.

OP , I think you have handled this in the most professional manner .

BikeAddict  you certainly haven't .

As many here have stated , for the sake of a chainring and new chain , you have lost all credibility , nevermind customers .

OP I hope you get you bike sorted before you go away . 

Here is some pictures of the damaged ring bent to the outisde. An incorrect shift or loose bolts would cause it to bend to the inside not outside.WE are still assisting the customer but 1st had to submit the warranty claim in the correct way. The bike in question is R17 000 and purchased 3 months ago, but that is not what is about. If a customer spends R100 or R50 000 we try to treat everyone the same and fairly and submit warranty claims in the same way. Johan, we would like to discuss the matter with you personally rather and Durwan will contact you. 

post-54176-0-89947300-1544512389_thumb.jpg

post-54176-0-87488300-1544512423_thumb.jpg

post-54176-0-28514200-1544512451_thumb.jpg

Edited by BIKE ADDICT

more photos. Let us rather not contradict ourself here and discuss this further with the client. About the spelling...sorry was don't late night from a cellphone.

post-54176-0-30365300-1544512919_thumb.jpg

post-54176-0-69863400-1544512949_thumb.jpg

Looks to me like the chainring bent under load possibly during a upshift.

1) the ring is bent between two shift ramps.

2) the position is consistent with the left leg in the power position.

I'm thinking that the ring as bent or damaged in transit, straightened and this created a crease in the chain ring material which then folded under load.

A straight warranty issue, and I can see why Omnico is not liable. They have no way of knowing if the bike was removed from the box with a damaged chain ring if the LBS didn't do a thorough job of checking and setting the bike up. This nonsense of bringing bikes back for forst service to sort out issues must stop. Do the job properly the first time and you won't need to see that customer again until the bike needs a proper service

cable stretch ....LOL HF I can't believe customers still fall for that crap

more photos. Let us rather not contradict ourself here and discuss this further with the client. About the spelling...sorry was don't late night from a cellphone.

the broken tooth is consistent with the failure happening during an upshift from small to large chainring.

A straight warranty 

no matter ho hamfisted I try to shift I have never been successful at bending a front chainring

If it is external forces as claimed, short of him taking a hammer to the chainring, how the hell did it bend like that? And if it was him taking a hammer to it, why? What conceivable reason would he have for taking a hammer to chainring that costs a couple of hundred Rands?

There doesn't appear to be impact marks from the pictures? Not that I can see. 

Hell, maybe it was a fairy that bent it

the broken tooth is consistent with the failure happening during an upshift from small to large chainring.

A straight warranty 

no matter ho hamfisted I try to shift I have never been successful at bending a front chainring

Agreed, some serious defect somewhere. . . 

Looks to me like the chainring bent under load possibly during a upshift.

1) the ring is bent between two shift ramps.

2) the position is consistent with the left leg in the power position.

I'm thinking that the ring as bent or damaged in transit, straightened and this created a crease in the chain ring material which then folded under load.

A straight warranty issue, and I can see why Omnico is not liable. They have no way of knowing if the bike was removed from the box with a damaged chain ring if the LBS didn't do a thorough job of checking and setting the bike up. This nonsense of bringing bikes back for forst service to sort out issues must stop. Do the job properly the first time and you won't need to see that customer again until the bike needs a proper service

cable stretch ....LOL HF I can't believe customers still fall for that crap

Under load, yes. During upshift, no. I was literally just pulling away at traffic light.

Bike Addict need a serious crash course in manners and etiquette. They treat their customers like absolute dirt. Surely OMNICO and other suppliers can see the damage that they are doing to the industry?

I think that's a bit overkill. 

The hub is ruthless and it's easy for everyone to jump on the band wagon.