Cannondale Warranty Issue. I need advice.

JohanDiv

It is possible/plausible that this ring missed the age hardening step in the production process (or had some other metallurgical issue) and is softer than it should be.

The blame game/liar liar issue is a bit silly given that neither party has had the ring professionally evaluated. A view eyeballs by brand experts results in opinions not facts.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BikeAddict(Johann) just phoned to offer to refund the entire bike. I'm sorry that this had to play out in public, it was not my intention to bash any names. And thanks BikeAddict for coming to the table on this issue. I appreciate it.

It is possible/plausible that this ring missed the age hardening step in the production process (or had some other metallurgical issue) and is softer than it should be.

The blame game/liar liar issue is a bit silly given that neither party has had the ring professionally evaluated. A view eyeballs by brand experts results in opinions not facts.

Brands are built and destroyed on opinions...

The facts surrounding the actual ring maybe never be revealed but opinions have been formed regardless. 

Wow, I cannot fathom the attitude of the bike shop.  They certainly missed an opportunity and have a clear lack of the *MOT factor.

If this was my bike, it would have been out of the shop already...

*Moment Of Truth - anyone can give good service when all is well, but when the **** hits the fan is when your true colors or MOT factors shines, or not.

We have deceided to refund the customer on his purchase as we do not feel he will be 100% happy with the bike. We were just following procedures and was not trying to be difficult or unhelpful at any stage.

The problem is that your reputation is now like that chainring.

Yes you can bend it straight but ...

But kudos to your latest action.

I still have this gut feeling that metal fatigue was the cause of the failure.

Especially with the "rubbing/off balance feel" in the beginning. The chain ring could have possible been slightly bent and straitened by the tech that "repaired" the rubbing issue (to 98% if I may paraphrase), and upon applying force to it when the OP launched his bike, it buckled.

Chain ring = R800?

Lost sales due to poor customer relationship management ..= potentially a couple of hundred thousand ZAR'S.

BikeAddict(Johann) just phoned to offer to refund the entire bike. I'm sorry that this had to play out in public, it was not my intention to bash any names. And thanks BikeAddict for coming to the table on this issue. I appreciate it.

Wait, so you giving the bike back now, what you going to ride on holiday?

I still have this gut feeling that metal fatigue was the cause of the failure.

Especially with the "rubbing/off balance feel" in the beginning. The chain ring could have possible been slightly bent and straitened by the tech that "repaired" the rubbing issue (to 98% if I may paraphrase), and upon applying force to it when the OP launched his bike, it buckled.

/OCD hat on.

You're describing work hardening not metal fatigue.

Metal fatigue is generally measured in many more cycles than a few 100kms would provide.

Glad you got sorted....eventually..

The big question now is what to buy,,,,,,, and without pichas it never happened!  :whistling:

Hope you get the new bike before your trip - enjoy

/OCD hat on.

You're describing work hardening not metal fatigue.

Metal fatigue is generally measured in many more cycles than a few 100kms would provide.

sorry, wrong phrase, last time I touched my "materiaalkunde" / "sterkteleer" textbooks was in 2005 :ph34r:

We have deceided to refund the customer on his purchase as we do not feel he will be 100% happy with the bike. We were just following procedures and was not trying to be difficult or unhelpful at any stage.

Lol lol lol.

Just following procedure, sorry sir bent chainring, we better do a full refund on that bike.

I'm assuming all future customers can expect a similar procedure - if there are any minor defects on their new bike that you can't iron out they can expect a full refund?

Rather than having some faith in the customer, with an issue that started presenting itself from day one they now have to take a huge loss on the chin to save face. A bit of decency and a R500 chainring would have avoided all of this. Nevermind that the op was decent/honest enough from the get go to not name and shame the bike shop in this thread.

Now it's plain to see for everyone why getting a bike from Bike Addict may not be the greatest idea, even long time customers who spend decent amounts of money there have to go through the wringer to get service.

Edited by Skylark