The SKY is falling

ScottCM

Will be a laugh when a new sponsor comes on board with double the budget of Sky :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lol... we thought when US Postal pulled the plug and Discovery channel came on board that that would be even better.. (budget wise)... but they didn't hang around long.. okay more dark clouds were hanging over that team's head.. tough sport for long term sponsors.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As with USPS it was difficult justifying sponsoring a WT team when you were busy retrenching staff or asking them to take pay cuts.

A bit like SAA and Telkom trying to justify sport sponsorship.

We in a world recession boys.

Things are only going to get worse

There have been more than enough articles showing that the Cycling business model is a crap one and doomed to fail.

If the most successful team can’t keep a sponsor alarm bells should be wringing.

The “ I’m giving you exposure “ can only go so far and this is the case from your local guy helping out a few buds right up to your world tour teams.

Somewhere along the long there will always be an accountant who comes along and says WTF £30 million/ year.

As with all sponsorship they come to a end.Next everyone will be surprised when DD pulls the plug

That amount sounds like a soccer players salary. Sure there is more money in soccer but the TdF is/was second in viewership to only the soccer world cup.

But that viewership translates into absolute zero going back into Cycling or Cycling teams.That is something the teams have hinted at as trying to add to their funding but don’t see television falling for that.We also forget that there is a lot more bad publicity in Cycling than other sports.When you have idiots like Moscon who haven’t got a clue and don’t realize that any good publicity that comes from a win can be wiped out by a simple idiotic gesture.Not surprised when a sponsor then says no thanks

As with USPS it was difficult justifying sponsoring a WT team when you were busy retrenching staff or asking them to take pay cuts.

We were working with an event for sponsorship from a certain broadcaster who were in the process of sacking people left right and centre and were involved in a lot of mismanagement claims, incompetence etc. The government person introducing us to the head honcho there was to get a 'finders fee' of R1m, the honcho would get a 'signing bonus' of R1m, we'd have to pay for their lunch to sign the deal and then we'd get the the sponsorship. In the end we pulled the deal because 1) can't contribute too the corruption machine and 2) the potential PR disaster from the sponsorship by them (excluding the payments) would have been massive but they were still pushing for it to happen despite front page outcry of the retrenchments. 

Perhaps a pharmaceutical will sponsor them.

Well, Amgen do sponsor the tour of California....

We were working with an event for sponsorship from a certain broadcaster who were in the process of sacking people left right and centre and were involved in a lot of mismanagement claims, incompetence etc. The government person introducing us to the head honcho there was to get a 'finders fee' of R1m, the honcho would get a 'signing bonus' of R1m, we'd have to pay for their lunch to sign the deal and then we'd get the the sponsorship. In the end we pulled the deal because 1) can't contribute too the corruption machine and 2) the potential PR disaster from the sponsorship by them (excluding the payments) would have been massive but they were still pushing for it to happen despite front page outcry of the retrenchments. 

As an aside, I'm led to believe that a R1M 'coke' allowance is required by a certain broadcaster in other areas of its operation......must be a SOP!

sponsor a world tour team in 2012

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDM2Mw==/z/8XgAAOxyaTxTVmhP/$_3.JPG?set_id=2

bankrupt in 2015

Bottom line is at the end of the day it’s the accountants who just cause k@k

Savage?

It's not always us, the blame just tends to get shifted their because we are easy targets. <_<

That amount sounds like a soccer players salary. Sure there is more money in soccer but the TdF is/was second in viewership to only the soccer world cup.

A few cycling events draw a lot of viewers (mostly GTs, classic) compared to many in Football (each countries domestic leagues (week in week out), domestic cups, champions league, Europa league, International friendlies etc etc)...cycling does not pull the TV audience like football...tens of millions watch football week in and week out all over the world.

A few cycling events draw a lot of viewers (mostly GTs, classic) compared to many in Football (each countries domestic leagues (week in week out), domestic cups, champions league, Europa league, International friendlies etc etc)...cycling does not pull the TV audience like football...tens of millions watch football week in and week out all over the world.

They just need to find a way to monetize this better and boom, you have a solution. A huge proportion of team budgets go to salaries anyway, more money means bigger salaries really.

According to the organizers, 3.5 billion people in 190 countries tune in to watch the Tour de France each year and it is one of the best-attended annual sporting event on the planet, with 12 million roadside spectators cheering on cyclists.Jul 6, 2018

They just need to find a way to monetize this better and boom, you have a solution. A huge proportion of team budgets go to salaries anyway, more money means bigger salaries really.

According to the organizers, 3.5 billion people in 190 countries tune in to watch the Tour de France each year and it is one of the best-attended annual sporting event on the planet, with 12 million roadside spectators cheering on cyclists.Jul 6, 2018

For spectators it is great as it is free to watch the race go by....it is what makes cycling a special sport..unfortunately they aren't making money out of fans..yes some fans buy team merchandise but nothing compared to what stadium sports make from fans...

I buy a new football shirt every few years.. my kids get almost every year..I don't have any Bora merchandise my house..too hard to find.. of course made easier because the likes of Adidas, Nike..etc etc are all shirt sponsors of football team so easy to pump out football merchandise.

There is a gap there.. the teams need to figure out how to access it.

For spectators it is great as it is free to watch the race go by....it is what makes cycling a special sport..unfortunately they aren't making money out of fans..yes some fans buy team merchandise but nothing compared to what stadium sports make from fans...

I buy a new football shirt every few years.. my kids get almost every year..I don't have any Bora merchandise my house..too hard to find.. of course made easier because the likes of Adidas, Nike..etc etc are all shirt sponsors of football team so easy to pump out football merchandise.

There is a gap there.. the teams need to figure out how to access it.

I've said it before, French government needs to chip in.

TdF does flippen wonders for them in terms of marketing and tourism, and currently they get a free ride.

ASO should (at least threaten to) take the TdF to China for a year. Paris-Dakar doesn't go near either of those places anymore so its possible. See what happens then, money would be found.

Archived