UCI DH World Cup 2019 Season

Hairy

@Myles and @Nigel.

A while ago the 2 of you ridiculed me for having the temerity to suggest that the World Cups should be held where the riding infrastructure and the fans are. I.e. Bikeparks.

Here we are in 2019 and all of the World Cups are being held in Bikeparks...... This weekend's world cup is being held at the Grand Daddy of European Bikeparks. On the very same mountain in fact.

I await my apology.

Hahahahaha - ok i'll give you a cap tilt ....

The comment would have been made to say that they need old school tracks not tracks like Super Morzine for instance that are super groomed and just berms ... (like Leogang a couple of years ago). Racing needs to have a lot of variants in it - Like what is being raced this weekend at Les Gets. The young rug-rats have to now come up with ways to handle the old grass turns - you can hear from Finn's comments on Vital that hes battling to find pace.

In todays MTB world however, you cannot get away from a "bike park" they are everywhere - wherever there is a ski lift - or even a shuttle lift, so i think the old comments are now moot.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I miss Claudios track previews. I liked the perspective of him chasing another rider and seeing the lines before he hits them.

Yeah. Although i didnt enjoy his screaming he was funny. I wonder why he isnt doing them anymore?

Yeah. Although i didnt enjoy his screaming he was funny. I wonder why he isnt doing them anymore?

He had a massive crash that caused a traumatic brain injury.

Hahahahaha - ok i'll give you a cap tilt ....

The comment would have been made to say that they need old school tracks not tracks like Super Morzine for instance that are super groomed and just berms ... (like Leogang a couple of years ago). Racing needs to have a lot of variants in it - Like what is being raced this weekend at Les Gets. The young rug-rats have to now come up with ways to handle the old grass turns - you can hear from Finn's comments on Vital that hes battling to find pace.

In todays MTB world however, you cannot get away from a "bike park" they are everywhere - wherever there is a ski lift - or even a shuttle lift, so i think the old comments are now moot.

For sure.

We were in Morz last year and the French Nationals were there. They basically ran the national on the sneaky lines that the locals run parallel to the bikepark lines instead of the bikepark lines. When the rain came down it was WILD.

My comments back then were more about the venues and taking the sport to where the fans are. I think the crankworks series has really done a great job in this respect.

Also. There's something VERY special about hanging your bike on a ski lift.

My comments back then were more about the venues and taking the sport to where the fans are. I think the crankworks series has really done a great job in this respect.

Id say that Red Bull have done an amazing job with the World Cups too.

Its become one of the most watched sports in the world ... and its FREE when you are at home. .... amazing. It still boggles my mind as to how they do it. 

But look at the spectators at the races now ... Lenzerheide ... the shots at the bottom of the DH and XC finish - where the spectators are about 20 rows deep ... mad. It shows how mainstream the sport has become over the past 5 years.

As far as I know its because of his last crash where he had a major concussion ... the docs and  most likely Red Bull, said it wasnt wise for him to do "blind" course previews as the risks were too high.

There can be no doubt that 2017-present represents some of the best years DH has seen. Big name sponsors are back, more and new tracks are being introduced, bike brands are getting creative with new DH sleds, pay is good, there are more ladies being signed to factory teams and racing is becoming insanely tight.

What's even better? We get to enjoy all of this for free! Say what you want about Red Bull and their products, they've made a massive contribution to the sport of mountain biking. No two ways about that. 

As far as I know its because of his last crash where he had a major concussion ... the docs and  most likely Red Bull, said it wasnt wise for him to do "blind" course previews as the risks were too high.

I do think that it could be an opportunity for Red Bull to look into replacing Claudio. He's a likable dude, but his commentary nowadays just seems off. He's supposed to be the 'expert', but he doesn't always come across as such.

I have to say, I miss Claudios track previews. I liked the perspective of him chasing another rider and seeing the lines before he hits them.

I prefer gee's

I do think that it could be an opportunity for Red Bull to look into replacing Claudio. He's a likable dude, but his commentary nowadays just seems off. He's supposed to be the 'expert', but he doesn't always come across as such.

My vote goes to Needles. And he'll make a great course preview

Edited by Duane_Bosch

If it seems off, maybe it is. Read the "Are you fully recovered from your Losinj crash?" question.

Concussions scare the crap out of me. 

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/interview-claudio-caluori-on-concussions-closing-his-race-team-and-the-josh-bryceland-controversy.html

If it seems off, maybe it is. Read the "Are you fully recovered from your Losinj crash?" question.

Concussions scare the crap out of me. 

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/interview-claudio-caluori-on-concussions-closing-his-race-team-and-the-josh-bryceland-controversy.html

I feel for the oke. A TBI is also nightmare inducing for me. I just think it's better to have someone closer to the sport. An expert that can go out and ride the course, speak to riders and really be able to provide that expert insight. 

Like Cap said, Needles could be a good option. 

I feel for the oke. A TBI is also nightmare inducing for me. I just think it's better to have someone closer to the sport. An expert that can go out and ride the course, speak to riders and really be able to provide that expert insight. 

Like Cap said, Needles could be a good option. 

I like AN's commentary but he does sometimes come across a bit flat and monotonous. What really needs to happen is that RB lighten up. install a beer tap in the commentary booth and let a well oiled Warner loose with a guest presenter every race ( there is never a shortage of injured rider/experts to handle the job). Imagine how entertaining that would be????