UCI DH World Cup 2019 Season

Hairy

I'm still fantasizing about a DHWC at Jonkers. Track to start at the upper Saaltjie aerials  - more than enough steepness and drop for a gnarly track. 

Status Quo would be fine, in terms of tech...  :w00t:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about rules... @Nigelhicks a while back explained the rules around hosting a uci world cup event. .. race village had to be close to a town and the venue had to be within 2 hours or something if an international airport...Snowshoe if in the middle of nowhere. Nearest international airport 3 hours away

There are no rules as to the distance to an Airport ... but it is a deciding factor.

Its one of the things that the selectors look for, as well as looking at the venue and whether there is enough accommodation within the area around the venue. 

I think this venue was selected as there has been lots of pressure to get another venue in the States again ... and if West Virginia tourism is paying (as it seems they did) then there is enough cash to cover the event - unlike what happened previously in Windham where the resort was covering those costs. 

I'm still fantasizing about a DHWC at Jonkers. Track to start at the upper Saaltjie aerials  - more than enough steepness and drop for a gnarly track. 

Would be cool - but as mentioned before - logistics to get to the top with shuttles are an issue. Not to mention no one in SA willing to cough up the dough to cover the hosting fee

Ride down Platteklip (with a good few mods: jumps etc). Take the cablecar back up. Just imagine what Red Bull can do with visuals. 

The XC race can be on the south side of Table Mountain.

Of course money, and lots of it, will need to be spent. But then our esteemed leaders did blow 8 billion on two stadiums during the SWC, each of which only saw one match (and now need additional funding to demolish them), so there is, apparently, money. Somewhere. 

Ride down Platteklip (with a good few mods: jumps etc). Take the cablecar back up. Just imagine what Red Bull can do with visuals. 

The XC race can be on the south side of Table Mountain.

Of course money, and lots of it, will need to be spent. But then our esteemed leaders did blow 8 billion on two stadiums during the SWC, each of which only saw one match (and now need additional funding to demolish them), so there is, apparently, money. Somewhere. 

Platteklip? Hell no. That's just steps and steps and steps. 

We could use Cecilia / Newlands with those running & hiking trails that are all jacked up on roots and rocks.

But then, no cablecar

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Platteklip has hundreds of 'shortcuts' (between the zig-zags) that can be smoothed out. Add the odd big berm, some jumps, and a run or two along the contour path and it could make for one epic DH setting. 

Platteklip has hundreds of 'shortcuts' (between the zig-zags) that can be smoothed out. Add the odd big berm, some jumps, and a run or two along the contour path and it could make for one epic DH setting. 

I can just imagine the faces of the SANP area rangers when we sit down with a few renderings of the DH track we have planned.