[Event] Paarl Cycle Tour

Paarl Rotary

Event Name: Paarl Cycle Tour
When: 3 February 2019
Where: De Poort, Pine Street, Paarl, Western Cape
Category: Road

The Bouckaert-Soenen Paarl Cycle Tour on Sunday 3 February starts at De Poort heritage centre in Pine Street, Paarl South. The race is organized by the Rotary Club of Paarl and held under the auspices of the Pedal Power Association (PPA) and Racetec.

There will be a long route of 102 km that goes to Wellington, Voor-Paardeberg and Klipheuwel before returning to Paarl; the medium route of 70 km follows the 102 km route but cuts out the Klipheuwel section; the short route of 45km is essentially a ride around the base of Paarl Mountain. This event is family friendly and will offer food and drink stalls as well as a Kidzone to give parents a break.

The first 25 km are common to all three routes where riders follow undulating roads through vineyards, fruit & olive orchards over the N1 through Wellington to the R44/R45 4way-stop. Here the Short route continues straight to Windmeul and the Medium & Long routes turn right onto the R45 and into the wheatlands where they turn left onto Voor Paardeberg. The Medium route turns left onto Paardeberg Road down a steep downhill towards the R44 where they turn right joining the short route again. The Long route continues straight to the Boerfontein intersection where they turn right onto Vryguns and then left onto the R302, towards Klipheuwel, with another left turn onto Slent that takes the riders back to the Boerfontein intersection. The Boerfontein "loop" will provide fast group riding experience. After turning right at Boerfontein the riders will meet up with the Short and Medium riders at the right onto the R44 at Windmeul for the home leg turning left onto the Suid Agter Paarl road, past Spice Route and Fairview, for the last left turn onto the R101 to finish at the Strawberry King.

The cut-off date for online pre-entries is Monday 28 January (11:00) on www.paarlrotary.co.za/cycle-tour , www.racetec.co.za or www.pedalpower.org.za . Pre-registration and late entries can be done on Saturday 2 February at ASG Cycling, Laborie Centre, Paarl (09:00-11:00) and at Chris Willemse Cycles, Willow Bridge (11:30-15:00). Entries will also be accepted on the day of the races (R320).

Proceeds go to childhood development projects supported by Paarl Rotary. For enquiries, contact Dave Moss on 082 575 4063.

Go to Event Page

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah agree...why did they shorten and emasculate the route like that?

I’ve heard of roadworks in and around the pass. ????

This was my first road race a very long time ago. In preparation for my first CTCT.

On Sunday I will be back together  with my son and 2 of his friends. They are training for their first CTCT and this will be their first race also.

Circle of Life

If I look at the seeding's for this race on racetec then this is going to be a super fast race in the front groups. Some of the guys who started in the $ group in SCT is starting in the B (BL). PPA is now dynamically allocating the group number you start with, which is based on Seeding Index and group size/limit.

In summary, the start group for this race is smaller but probably higher quality than SCT. Most of the top finishers from SCT is also riding this race. I am already nervous  :blink:

In summary, the start group for this race is smaller but probably higher quality than SCT. Most of the top finishers from SCT is also riding this race. I am already nervous  :blink:

But I guess that would be largely cancelled out by the flat route?

But yes, will be interesting - good to know $ riders are starting in B, was a bit offended by my seeding before I knew that  :whistling:

If I look at the seeding's for this race on racetec then this is going to be a super fast race in the front groups. Some of the guys who started in the $ group in SCT is starting in the B (BL). PPA is now dynamically allocating the group number you start with, which is based on Seeding Index and group size/limit.

This sounds like a good thing, smaller groups (or is this only a good thing if you work on the assumption that the riders are correctly seeded)

This sounds like a good thing, smaller groups (or is this only a good thing if you work on the assumption that the riders are correctly seeded)

I believe so, seeding should be more or less good (Except for those riders like me because they could hang on to the A bunch in West Coast Express  :whistling:) . My second best seeded race gives index of 6.86 (Sportiff #6) - Not sure if that would have been good enough for the A group, but perhaps 

Everybody agreed groups were too big for SCT since we do not have road closures, so yea I am happy with the PPA group/seeding system for races  :thumbup:

In summary, the start group for this race is smaller but probably higher quality than SCT. Most of the top finishers from SCT is also riding this race. I am already nervous :blink:

Where do you see the group sizes ?