For the aviation fans

Lotus

I guessed Shackleton because of the 2 Counter rotating propellers which is not very common but typical for the Shackleton. I believe there is still one that is sort of functional down in the Cape and would guess that’s were this engine is destined for.

my dad used to fly on Shakeltons out of Gibraltar when he was in the RAF

post-4874-0-32523900-1575493198_thumb.jpg

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool

Shackleton engine I guess

What I know about plane engines is dangerous, so will quote the label on the side of the unit.

ROLLS ROYCE

Griffin Mk.57A

In a welcome change from the Bikehub norm, in this case everyone is right.

It is a RR Griffon from a Shack.

Gordhan Statement on SAA business rescue

"... this is not a bailout. This is the provision of financial assistance in order to facilitate a radical restructure of the airline"

post-182-0-37684700-1575534870_thumb.png

post-182-0-57396400-1575534885_thumb.png

post-182-0-63440400-1575534891_thumb.png

Edited by SwissVan

Basically this means that the Business Rescue Practitioner will be able to make meaningful plans and execute without interference from anyone, including government and ANC. It also means that an equity partner can at last be brought in, no matter how loudly the opponents (and there will be many, including unions and snouters) may protest.

This puts CR in the position of being "not involved" and away from the fallout that will come from cleaning up the mess. Tito will be delighted, no doubt.

This must be SAA's best (and last) chance at survival. There are many that argue it should die, but I believe that there are good reasons for it to live on. And there are good people working there, let's hope they can hold on.

If other airlines can turn a profit, so can SAA. Just need the right plan, right decisions and proper implementation thereof. Let's hope for the best. :)

Any airline that makes a profit is working very hard for it.

For SAA it's been like fighting with both hands tied behind the back, given the useless and corrupt top management they've been burdened with. The ground staff, management and flight crews who have been working hard to save the airline will now, hopefully, get the backing they deserve.

Edited by Lotus

How about appointing a CEO who has actual aviation background in conjunction with sound and ethical business management experience at executive level with the appropriate tertiary qualifications to the board, who is politics-neutral, and although being answerable the board (who also comprises of the required and proven skills and qualification) and government, is still allowed to operate without fear or prejudice.?

Or is this just a pipe-dream?

If SAA pulls this off, then Eskom / Transnet / SANRAL / Denel / Telkom et al to follow suit.

Now is the time to wear your big-boy pants, Mr. Gordhan.

How about appointing a CEO who has actual aviation background in conjunction with sound and ethical business management experience at executive level with the appropriate tertiary qualifications to the board, who is politics-neutral, and although being answerable the board (who also comprises of the required and proven skills and qualification) and government, is still allowed to operate without fear or prejudice.?

If SAA pulls this off, then Eskom / Transnet / SANRAL / Denel / Telkom et al to follow suit.

Well said. :thumbup:

Wish they could get Michael O'Leary to lend a hand, he would seriously shake things up. I suspect he says outrageous things about passengers and the EU commissars just to distract his competitors from his next move. And look where Ryanair is now, with all that (bad?) publicity - #1 in Europe.

If other airlines can turn a profit, so can SAA. Just need the right plan, right decisions and proper implementation thereof. Let's hope for the best. :)

Also need to get rid of the corruption. The right planes(spelt wrong on purpose) are in place, it's just the amount we pay for everything and the behind the scenes money changing hands that is screwing us over. 

Also need to get rid of the corruption. The right planes(spelt wrong on purpose) are in place, it's just the amount we pay for everything and the behind the scenes money changing hands that is screwing us over. 

Are there "whistle-blower" or tip-off programs in place at SAA that honest employees can use to draw attention to these practices?

That might alert the BRP to the problem areas.

It's become fairly common in businesses (especially those who have had a brush with corruption, such as SAP, EOH et al).

Are there "whistle-blower" or tip-off programs in place at SAA that honest employees can use to draw attention to these practices?

That might alert the BRP to the problem areas.

It's become fairly common in businesses (especially those who have had a brush with corruption, such as SAP, EOH et al).

It is unfortunately not even a secret so lets just hope the right thing is done here because from what we hear this is actually a very expensive process. How warped is that, you apply for debt rescue but it cost a fortune for these people to come in and sort things out. 

Was he crew, what did he do?

Dad was intrumentation, and later "Electronics" as they developed.

He left school at 16 and joined the RAF. Granny was a single mum so him staying on at school in 1951 was not an option. When he finally retired he'd been in SA with Escom for 25 years looking after the 6 mainframe Honeywell computer systems at Matla Power Station - so he didn't do badly for himself. 

Don't come here with your racist colonial logic.  This is Africa  :ph34r:

But you are 1000% correct.