For the aviation fans

Lotus

It is actually not the long way around. It is taking the shortest route actually.  That aircraft is on his way to San Fransisco which as you know is on the West coast of the states.  So if you take a globe and draw the shortest line from Dehli to the West coast of North America, you would actually draw it straight over the North Pole or past that on the other side of Europe.  This now needs to be plotted on a flat map and that makes it look like a hell of a detour but it is not.  The same for the Quantas flight from Sydney do Joburg.  It actually flies over the South pole and approaches SA anything between PE and Richards bay to Joburg.

Here someone explains it better than me ...

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/flight-paths-and-great-circles-why-are-great-circles-the-shortest-flight-path/

Ah ok. Makes sense. Thanks.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-52292-0-66007300-1602314051_thumb.jpegpost-52292-0-83470000-1602314068_thumb.jpegpost-52292-0-05282000-1602314083_thumb.jpegpost-52292-0-13711200-1602314099_thumb.jpeg

A little of Geneva to Dubai yesterday. Was a lovely cool morning on arrival at the aerie. Sadly the viz was not very good once airborne, pics of the mountains were not good. In any event we entered cloud pretty quickly. Descent into Dubai was great, track miles cut right down into Al Maktoum. The viz was poor for pics, this is the area around Burj Al Arab and Jumeirah Beach. Anyways a very warm and humid evening putting the aerie to bed for a week or so before the next mission.