For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the open balconies at Jan Smuts. They were fantastic. Eye-level with the cockpit of a 747 and you could stand and smell the fumes.

I also used to ride from our house in Van Riebieck Park past my school, Sir Pierre, to Jan Smuts at the weekends just to watch planes.

Some odd facts I remember from back in the day include....

The early 737's left behind them a really dirty exhaust trail.

The A300's would land on the main gear and then take ages for the front gear to touch the ground.

There was always a line of SafAir Hercules' at the cargo hangers north of the terminal.

If you were really lucky, you would occasionally see a military fighter take off after having been worked on over at Atlas.

I am sure you will remember as well that the aircraft to and from Atlas used to use a shorter diagonal runway, its the link / taxiway now between 03L and 03R now, don't think its an active runway anymore

Edited by kosmonooit

that old diagonal runway can be clearly seen on Google Earth  (open in Chrome)

Ends up now in that newish International terminal island

Edited by kosmonooit

I've been on most of the above, (but never been on a helicopter ) plus:

Boeing 707-??? Lux Air (JNB to LUX '84)

Boeing 747-200 SAA (LHR to JNB in 1976)

Boeing 747-SP Air Namibia (FRA - JNB via WDH) Plane is at Rand Airport Museum now!

Boeing 747-400 BA (JFK to LHR last November)

Boeing 757-300 Monarch (LGW - ALC)

Airbus A380-800 Air France (JNB - CDG)

Lockheed L-1011 - (Tri Star) Air Portugal (LIS - JNB via Brazaville)

Beechcraft 99 - Air Lowveld (Test Flight 1977)

McDonnel Douglas DC-10  (LGW - PMI)

I'm sure there's a few more . . . .

Edit: Boeing 787-??? Dreamliner - Iberia (MAD-JFK)

I always had a sweet spot for those wide bodied tri-jets, but never got to fly on one. They (DC-10 and MD-11) are getting even rarer to spot at the cargo terminals nowadays.

Still some Cargo MD-11's around, sure I have spotted some here recently.

I flew internally in the USA once on DC-10 .. I generally sit at the back of aircraft and remember seeing the whole fuselage twisting and contorting under the thrust of that rear engine, not wildly but noticeable to my beady eye

Edited by kosmonooit

I am sure you will remember as well that the aircraft to and from Atlas used to use a shorter diagonal runway, its the link / taxiway now between 02L and 02R now, don't think its an active runway anymore

It was runway 09. Not sure if the main runways now used to be 02 but they 03/21 now. 

that old diagonal runway can be clearly seen on Google Earth  (open in Chrome)

Ends up now in that newish International terminal island

Weird picture this, it seems like parts of it are 2 different snaps, The aircraft in our run-up bay are on top of each other. It's also a few years old as the two TAAG jumbo's (D2-TEA & D2 TEB) are still parked on the grass between H8 and run-up bay. They chopped them up a few years back already. 

EDIT: Definitely 2 different pictures in one there. The aircraft on the base, some are in new parking bays. There is a 747-8 that is parked in Delta bay and they had to create that bay specifically for that aircraft because it is too long to fit in the normal bays.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

I think  Luxavia took over a lot of SAA 747-SP's - flew many times in the 80's and early 90's  - cheaper than SAA

12173130276_8bee08fe17_b.jpg

It was one class arrangement BUT if you were in the know you could sit upstairs for an extra R70

First time I flew with them was on an old SAA 707 - that was my 707 experience. Stopped at least twice for fuel to get to Luxemburg

Exactly how they ended up with the SAA stock I can't say but because they were Luxembourg registered they could fly over Africa and not around the bulge like SAA had to do

That's a Namibian SP parked to the side there. They now fly A330 from Windhoek to Frankfurt if memory serves.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

Weird picture this, it seems like parts of it are 2 different snaps, The aircraft in our run-up bay are on top of each other. It's also a few years old as the two TAAG jumbo's (D2-TEA & D2 TEB) are still parked on the grass between H8 and run-up bay. They chopped them up a few years back already. 

EDIT: Definitely 2 different pictures in one there. The aircraft on the base, some are in new parking bays. There is a 747-8 that is parked in Delta bay and they had to create that bay specifically for that aircraft because it is too long to fit in the normal bays.

Yes that caught me out as well - check out Atlaas and you will see one of the old 1Time fleet there, some on top of others.

Turn off 3D in settings and you will get a regular image (and the 1Time fleet disapears)

It was runway 09. Not sure if the main runways now used to be 02 but they 03/21 now. 

I am sure they were always 03, I got it wrong, 03R is newer, Tower used to be on apron, some of the old pics reveal that, now its between the runways just north of that old one used by Atlas back in the day.

I am sure you will remember as well that the aircraft to and from Atlas used to use a shorter diagonal runway, its the link / taxiway now between 02L and 02R now, don't think its an active runway anymore

Yep. Jets would often take off and fly over Kempton Park and they were faaaast!

Yep. Jets would often take off and fly over Kempton Park and they were faaaast!

I went to my first Disco in Kempton - flashing coloured panels on the floor and all.

Still some Cargo MD-11's around, sure I have spotted some here recently.

I flew internally in the USA once on DC-10 .. I generally sit at the back of aircraft and remember seeing the whole fuselage twisting and contorting under the thrust of that rear engine, not wildly but noticeable to my beady eye

I think the whole Lufthansa Cargo fleet is MD11's.  There should be one popping in at ORT quite often.