For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 3 minutes, but worth watching the master!

The senior school I went to had a breeding program for these plus a whole club dedicated to falconry.  They're amazing to watch, guys would set them up then flush birds with pointers once they were in position at the right height and ready. Often couldn't fly with what they would catch and would spiral down in a barely controlled fall to the ground with their prey.

post-52292-0-65587900-1558014547_thumb.jpegpost-52292-0-35871300-1558014564_thumb.jpegpost-52292-0-69201600-1558014585_thumb.jpeg

Perhaps of interest.

We had to do an air drop test of the Ram Air Turbine or RAT Gennie this afternoon at Dubai. The thing is a noisy little beast but provides essential AC and DC electrical power as well as power to the #3 hydraulic system in the event of total electrical failure and/ or double engine failure.

Loved that Spittie, nearly tok the reporters head off!

I also like the sonic boom. Years ago I worked on the QEII cruise ship and the captain would notify the pax when Concorde was passing when on a trans Atlantic crossing. We would hear the double sonic boom. Wonderful stuff.

Of interest perhaps, Cunard had a tricket on the crossing that was Southampton to New York on the ship and return to London on Concorde. What a beaut thing to do!

Edited by Spokey

Loved that Spittie, nearly tok the reporters head off!

I also like the sonic boom. Years ago I worked on the QEII cruise ship and the captain would notify the pax when Concorde was passing when on a trans Atlantic crossing. We would hear the double sonic boom. Wonderful stuff.

Of interest perhaps, Cunard had a tricket on the crossing that was Southampton to New York on the ship and return to London on Concorde. What a beaut thing to do!

I have a mate who once flew the London - New York Concorde midnight  flight to have 2 New Years parties - that was many years ago - but to this day he still shows random people pictures of that whenever he gets pissed enough! I suppose I would have done it too if I could! 

Air travel can make for some interesting experiences. Back at the Millenium New Year,the Brit DJ Carl Cox played two Millennium events, first in Sydney at Bondi Beach and then a quick flick over to Hawai across the international date line to do it all again!

attachicon.gifD30EBBED-99D9-4B70-9CEA-69D0773566CA.jpegattachicon.gif3E36C5A9-70F1-40F4-8B4A-4F89F2A65B01.jpegattachicon.gif002BDD82-3BDC-42D6-9D71-EEF869CA7095.jpeg

Perhaps of interest.

We had to do an air drop test of the Ram Air Turbine or RAT Gennie this afternoon at Dubai. The thing is a noisy little beast but provides essential AC and DC electrical power as well as power to the #3 hydraulic system in the event of total electrical failure and/ or double engine failure.

I have only ever done check outs on the Airbus RATs but yoh it is scary. We lower the RAT, place a serious cage around it and connect up Hydraulic lines. Then run it and my word it is noisy. Amazing how noisy that little thing is. The airbus one looks similar to yours but it doesn't have the generator exposed like that.

06h15 this morning. SAAT looking out towards ORT. Runway 03L is just in front of these 2 aircraft on tow. There is an old 737 busy taking off(you can just see it on the right). Then another Mango on Taxi to the runway(can just see it between the 2 on tow).

post-58906-0-67102400-1558073708_thumb.jpg

Edited by Long Wheel Base

06h15 this morning. SAAT looking out towards ORT. Runway 03L is just in front of these 2 aircraft on tow. There is an old 737 busy taking off(you can just see it on the right). Then another Mango on Taxi to the runway(can just see it between the 2 on tow).

attachicon.gifIMG_20190517_061616.jpg

This has to be the coolest bike commute picture ever!!