Upgrade to Carbon Frame or Carbon Wheel set??

nunoza

The force is strong with the Captain. 

Listen to him!! 

In all seriousness, he knows what he is talking about. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• What is your current frame and wheelset? The size of the upgrade will depend on your starting point.
  1. KTM 294 Frameset - 29er
  • What is your budget? Wheels or frames probably range between R10 and R45k.
  1. No more than 10k
  • What new carbon frame or wheelset do you have in mind?
  1. KTM Elite frameset, open to any widish profile wheels (27mm)
  • What are you looking to get out of the upgrade? Weight savings or stiffness gains?
  1. Primary requirement is to improve control

KTM Scarp 294 ?

Get some Lyne Pulse 30 alu wheels and a dropper seatpost. While you are at it, chuck some Pulse carbon bars (760mm and a correspondingly shorter stem) in the basket. Order some 2.3" tyres to match your new rims and you have spent just over R10k and achieved a very nice make over for your bike

http://cyclelab.com/images/detailed/4/MTB-29-KTM-SCARP-294-2017.jpg

you need to remember weight saving is weight saving but not all weight is equal.

Sprung weight- basic weight like your frame seat etc, the least performance affecting weight so you should put lower on your list of upgrades.

Sprung weight- things like rear triangles, fork lowers, remember your suspension is trying to move this weight the whole time to keep your wheel in contact with the ground so this is more important to lose weight here than sprung weight to give your suspension an easier job.

Rotating Mass- This weight is the devil and is most important to lose. Everytime you accelerate you have to get this rotating, when you break this needs to break, when you turn the inertia in this counteracts your change of direction.

A note with rotating mass is that the further away from the center of rotation the worse the effect and thus a tyre's weight is worse than a rims weight which is worse than a hubs weight. Crank arms and chainrings are also in this section although they affect turning less they do need energy to get them rotating on acceleration.

Left field thought - this is a once off chance to upgrade frame , the wheels finance permitting can be done later , The frame seems now or never 

Edited by Milosh

I ride a 2014 KTM Scarp Prestige (Full Carbon version)

Its an awesome bike but its out and out a XC Marathon machine

I have a 120mm travel fork on which helps with the 70.5 head angle

Very nimble on the twisty stuff even with a 800mm bar and 60mm stem, but it gets a bit sketchy on the downhill rough stuff. Not sure if the geometry has changed much on the newer models.

My biggest complaint, however, is that Cyclelab Fourways is the only agent in SA and I stay in CT so getting spares is a big issue for me. Break a hanger or a thru axle and it has to come from Austria if Cyclelab don't have stock or otherwise order from FLi Industries in the UK.

imho rather choose a locally backed brand (Giant/Scott/Trek) where you can go to any bike shop and get spares

If you get carbon rims then you need to go all the way and put on lighter tyres to .I have a few good carbon frame bikes ,but all my wheelsets are still alu and the main reason is that i weigh 100kg without bike .I have this event coming up in march and i need to decide if i am going to invest in a lighter set of wheels but risk a broken rim .Stans arch have always been good to me and they are as light as a carbon rim 

On the road, I would say wheels. It made the biggest difference for me. 

For the mountain i would rather get a nice hand build with alu hoop, and ccarbon frame. 

Except if you can buy these: 

That is insane!!!

Let it be noted that my KTM contacts at Cyclelab go out of their way to help, but getting parts is the issue

Cycle Lab Fourways has been great...no complaints here....

I would not consider that KTM frame in carbon as an upgrade, to be honest. 

Upgrading to KTM MASTER Carbon frame.....can't wait to give a run at the "FAST ONE" event this weekend 

The best upgrade you can make is wheels. I recommend getting a nice pair of carbon hoops from the wheelbuilder.jhb

I have a aloi momsem frame on two light aloi rims. My bike weighs 10.7kg where my brothers 2017 carbon giant xtc with super heavy pxc-2 wheels weighs 11.4kg.

GET BETTER WHEELS..!!!!