Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

But, like I say, lets see. a 140mm modern 29er is probably more capable than most DH bikes were 10 years ago with the ability to pedal it up to the top. What could possibly go wrong... (checks his medical aid)

By most you are excluding a Morewood Makulu hey? Cos that thing was DAMNED GOOD!! Apart from the fact that it was a bit portly and a bit short by "modern standards" that was a GREAT bike. And yes they came out in 2009. Mine's serial # was MK0904

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By most you are excluding a Morewood Makulu hey? Cos that thing was DAMNED GOOD!! Apart from the fact that it was a bit portly and a bit short by "modern standards" that was a GREAT bike. And yes they came out in 2009. Mine's serial # was MK0904

Every time I see a mak, I get a chubby. There's just something about them that gets me on my grrrr. Even though they're short, and heavy, and beautiful. 

It's SUCH a pity they're no longer around. PYGA, MAKE A DH BIKE! But then, it won't sell. :(

Maybe a longer travel enduro that can take a dh fork

Every time I see a mak, I get a chubby. There's just something about them that gets me on my grrrr. Even though they're short, and heavy, and beautiful. 

It's SUCH a pity they're no longer around. PYGA, MAKE A DH BIKE! But then, it won't sell. :(

Droo built her up today. I got home a little late to go out for a maiden voyage, so it will happen tomorrow morning.

First impressions, it's moer long, moer slack, and moer heavy! You also sit on top of the bb which should be awesome on long climbs!

post-82251-0-13803200-1550510652_thumb.jpg

The red stem will be replaced with a black one once I settle on the right length.

Droo built her up today. I got home a little late to go out for a maiden voyage, so it will happen tomorrow morning.

First impressions, it's moer long, moer slack, and moer heavy! You also sit on top of the bb which should be awesome on long climbs!

20190218_192308.jpg

The red stem will be replaced with a black one once I settle on the right length.

Awe!

Enjoy it

Wait! You talking about a makulu or your chubby?

attachicon.gif20190218_192308.jpg

Gorgeous. We're waiting for the ride report. And how much is "moer heavy" . I'm still waiting for someone else to ride a bike heavier than mine...

Gorgeous. We're waiting for the ride report. And how much is "moer heavy" . I'm still waiting for someone else to ride a bike heavier than mine...

How much yours weight?

My mongoose otero weighed 18. Something kg, but that was with a coil front and back

attachicon.gif20190218_192308.jpg

Sjoe! Congrats my bru. 

Also what do you want for the red stem?

So first ride report...

Will need to get used to this bike, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

First thing you notice, the bike is very long, a whole 100mm wheelbase than the Following. Secondly, the seat angle is very steep, which combined with the long wheelbase puts you squarely in the middle of the bike rather than over the back wheel. I rode Helderberg today, so it's basically an hour of climbing - in this time I noticed a couple of things - the Sentinel climbs very comfortably, not fast, but comfortable. Becaise of the seated position the front wheel does not lift on steep climbs, and you do not have to force your weight to the tip of the saddle. Rear wheel traction is also great. The thing that surprised me most was that the front wheel did not flop around as much as I was expecting it to. Some negatives on the climbing - you feel the extra weight (will weigh and add to the post later today, but I am expexting aroun 15-16kg), and around tight switchbacks you really have to force the bike around to not oversteer.

Descending: The bike picks up speed like nothing else I have ridden before and is crazy stable! You have to ride on the front wheel to get traction, something I am not used to, so it felt a bit weird at first and I had to force myself to move my weight around the bike. You also have to lean the bike over to change direction more than steering it. Once I get into it I really think I am going to be quite a bit faster in the descents! Some small negatives - the bike is not as poppy as the Evil and it takes more effort to get it into the air. You also cannot lazily ride the bike, you have to conciously muscle the bike around to get it where you want it, but the upside of this is that you plough over everything once you have picked a line.

The other thing I really enjoyed was being back on a Fox DPS, I have always enjoyed Fox's rear shocks! I do still have to play around with setup because I am not using full travel yet.

And in a strange twist of events Droo picked up that my Ribbon's stanchions are doing the splits. There is a bigger gap between the stanchions at the bottom than at the crown. He says they have had to warranty a few CSU's so far. Mine is out of warranty, but is covered bt insurance, so I will put in a claim and see what happens. If it does go through I will replace with the reduced offset CSU - winning! (The offset is at the crown, not lowers as I thought before).

ha!

I keep forgetting that 10 years ago was 2009..... I was already riding a tubeless 29er in 2009!

So first ride report...

Will need to get used to this bike, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

First thing you notice, the bike is very long, a whole 100mm wheelbase than the Following. Secondly, the seat angle is very steep, which combined with the long wheelbase puts you squarely in the middle of the bike rather than over the back wheel. I rode Helderberg today, so it's basically an hour of climbing - in this time I noticed a couple of things - the Sentinel climbs very comfortably, not fast, but comfortable. Becaise of the seated position the front wheel does not lift on steep climbs, and you do not have to force your weight to the tip of the saddle. Rear wheel traction is also great. The thing that surprised me most was that the front wheel did not flop around as much as I was expecting it to. Some negatives on the climbing - you feel the extra weight (will weigh and add to the post later today, but I am expexting aroun 15-16kg), and around tight switchbacks you really have to force the bike around to not oversteer.

Descending: The bike picks up speed like nothing else I have ridden before and is crazy stable! You have to ride on the front wheel to get traction, something I am not used to, so it felt a bit weird at first and I had to force myself to move my weight around the bike. You also have to lean the bike over to change direction more than steering it. Once I get into it I really think I am going to be quite a bit faster in the descents! Some small negatives - the bike is not as poppy as the Evil and it takes more effort to get it into the air. You also cannot lazily ride the bike, you have to conciously muscle the bike around to get it where you want it, but the upside of this is that you plough over everything once you have picked a line.

The other thing I really enjoyed was being back on a Fox DPS, I have always enjoyed Fox's rear shocks! I do still have to play around with setup because I am not using full travel yet.

And in a strange twist of events Droo picked up that my Ribbon's stanchions are doing the splits. There is a bigger gap between the stanchions at the bottom than at the crown. He says they have had to warranty a few CSU's so far. Mine is out of warranty, but is covered bt insurance, so I will put in a claim and see what happens. If it does go through I will replace with the reduced offset CSU - winning! (The offset is at the crown, not lowers as I thought before).

eve's dropped into this bit yesterday, ouch hope you come right.

i think i know the other ribbon being warranteed 

eve's dropped into this bit yesterday, ouch hope you come right.

i think i know the other ribbon being warranteed

Ja, bit of a bummer - it will work out for the best, but never lekker to claim from insurance knowing that your premiums will increase, especially when it is a manufacturig fault that is sorta well known! Just too bad that mine is well out of warranty period.

I wanted to buy an mrp. Droo informed me about the csu issue and refused to sell me one.

I suppose it was for the best. I am loving my diamond. I can compare the stiffness to an old marz bomber with 38 mm stanchions.