Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

work-on-that-photo-u1.jpg

Kidding... I wouldn't last 5 minutes in one of those classes.

This year I've been looking at core, flexibility and dropping weight. I'm pretty keen to sign up to that online system to complement the other stuff, seems to be pretty good value.

Haha no I get that, not planning on becoming a full time crossfitter - but yoh, what some of those guys and girls can do is impressive! And it carries over nicely to other sports...

If it's the same online thing I'm thinking about, ask PhilipV here on the hub, he has been following one of those programs which sounds pretty rough.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. Gutsliding is to surfing what fixi riding is to cycling.

Says the kneelo

Haha, missed a bit of banter & burning here. 

But to your point, surfing is excellent x training especially stand up where you're paddling (with your arms) whilst balancing on your sternum and compensating... getting axed.. if you dont pull finger and HTFU heck yes. I miss that..

Raising a 4 year old boy, 1yr old girl, not sleeping through, long work hours is not ideal. 

Currently I get some pushups and pull ups done. but rides are 30 mins in the week and 1:30 on a weekend. I'll have to up my game if I even want to finish the big EWC enduro days. 

Indoor trainer has been dusted off.. It's Discipline though.. lots of it. 

Haha no I get that, not planning on becoming a full time crossfitter - but yoh, what some of those guys and girls can do is impressive! And it carries over nicely to other sports...

If it's the same online thing I'm thinking about, ask PhilipV here on the hub, he has been following one of those programs which sounds pretty rough.

Yeah no.

I'm doing the Bikini Body Guide by some Kaela tannie. I'm doing it because my wife wants to do it so that she can look good in a bikini, and I would be stupid not to motivate her to feel better about herself.

And let me tell you, that kaela Tannie's plan is rof, all that core work and seven million squats is bound to do something.

Do you not work?! Sheesh.

#goddamsavage

hahaha I most definitely work. But I have been lucky enough to set things up that allow me to make the most of the day. 

I'm up most days at 4:30, smash admin, emails, grunt work, ride/run/surf at first light or with a headlight later in the year. Work by 9:30. 

I then try to get done and if I'm not stuck waiting for clients I can knock off around 4ish for round 2.

Sometimes I will work till 11pm, but on average I can structure my days around at least 1 good 3 hour effort per day in the week and can fit in surfs/rides/runs all weekend.

This will of course change in August when baby arrives and life goes dark for a while. But while I can I make the most of the week.

Bear in mind I very rarely see 20:00 on any given night unless im out running with a head torch. 20:30 is the middle of the night for me!

Edited by Jewbacca

Haha, missed a bit of banter & burning here.

But to your point, surfing is excellent x training especially stand up where you're paddling (with your arms) whilst balancing on your sternum and compensating... getting axed.. if you dont pull finger and HTFU heck yes. I miss that..

Raising a 4 year old boy, 1yr old girl, not sleeping through, long work hours is not ideal.

Currently I get some pushups and pull ups done. but rides are 30 mins in the week and 1:30 on a weekend. I'll have to up my game if I even want to finish the big EWC enduro days.

Indoor trainer has been dusted off.. It's Discipline though.. lots of it.

Haha. Light hearted banter burning. I don't struggle with motivation. I struggle with what my damned hand pushes into my face.

The first Saturday of every month the spin class I go to becomes a 1 1/2 hour session. And the instructor this week is a bit of a seargant major. Scared and amped at the same time.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Haha. Light hearted banter burning. I don't struggle with motivation. I struggle with what my damned hand pushes into my face.

The first Saturday of every month the spin class I go to becomes a 1 1/2 hour session. And the instructor this week is a bit of a seargant major. Scared and amped at the same time.

Good on you. The thing with the ocean is, it doesn't give up when you get tired, It sends relentless sets just when you sneak to far into the impact zone to catch a smaller one in, just to teach you a lesson, that sneaking inside for a smaller one, will not be tolerated! But If you paddle back out after getting your wet-suit put on back to front by the cleanup sets, you will be rewarded by the cooker that will leave a smile on your face all day.  

My signature use to say.."Training is like wrestling a gorilla, its not over when you're tired, its over when the gorilla is tired".. Micheal Rogers

Its time to get in shape for Enduro season.. I might just enter a couple of 50km marathon races to help my sorry ass get off the couch. 

This. Faaaark, THAT. Cursed, dastardly hand/. 

Good on you. The thing with the ocean is, it doesn't give up when you get tired, It sends relentless sets just when you sneak to far into the impact zone to catch a smaller one in, just to teach you a lesson, that sneaking inside for a smaller one, will not be tolerated! But If you paddle back out after getting your wet-suit put on back to front by the cleanup sets, you will be rewarded by the cooker that will leave a smile on your face all day.  

Haha.

Many many moons ago we went to Dirtbin for SA's. And we went to Cave Rock. As you do. I can't remember the exact details of what happened but one wipeout snapped my leash and stole my boardies. So there I was. No board. Not Boardies in the Cave Rock shorebreak. #scarredforlife.

Haha.

Many many moons ago we went to Dirtbin for SA's. And we went to Cave Rock. As you do. I can't remember the exact details of what happened but one wipeout snapped my leash and stole my boardies. So there I was. No board. Not Boardies in the Cave Rock shorebreak. #scarredforlife.

yeeeah, CR is a great place. But it can school you properly. 

yeeeah, CR is a great place. But it can school you properly. 

I reckon I've surfed every noteworthy surf spot on our coastline between Doringbaai and Balito. Except Dungeons of course.

Including most of the stuff in the Kei. Driving my jeep across the beach to Lwandile and surfing that with 3 dudes out. Death bed memory.

Except fkin Plett wedge. I've been there a million times but it's been utter shite every single time.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I reckon I've surfed every noteworthy surf spot on our coastline between Doringbaai and Balito. Except Dungeons of course.

Including most of the stuff in the Kei. Driving my jeep across the beach to Lwandile and surfing that with 3 dudes out. Death bed memory.

I'd love to be able to say the same, but I was very much a North Beach & Bay dude, with a bit of Wedge thrown in for "fun".

The Kei stuff & the trip must have been idyllic. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

The Kei stuff & the trip must have been idyllic. 

People think the Kei is horrible but it is beautiful as soon as you get away from the Umtata type pissholes.

You have to go with someone who knows the area as there are no real road signs. We stayed at the coffee bay backpackers. Surfed Umdumbi and Lwandile and then spent a night at a place called Ntlonyana. Dave Malherbe had/has a spot on the beach there.

Surfed Ntlonyana in the morning. 3 guys with 5 world titles between us. Gigs 4. Dave 1. Me 0. lol. Those that know the spot know that is has a VERY sharky reputation. I'd quickly scratch into the lineup. Grab a wave and make sure that I rode it right to the sand and run around to spend as little time in the water as possible. We left about mid morning and Dave reckoned that he felt a VERY definite bump that afternoon. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Except fkin Plett wedge. I've been there a million times but it's been utter shite every single time.

Lucky you! Growing up in Knysna I surfed(boogie) there a bunch, and had one of your CR experiences in the middle of December holiday rush.. I was trying to sneak up to the peak on the inside next to the rocks and paddled across to early. a 3-4 ft thick bomb broke in front of me. I didn't even feel them go, snapped my leash and lost my pants. No board to hold in front of my weener, my car key was looped around the string in the pocket of my baggies, as one does, so I HAD to find them. Of course some mates found them first and had a laugh at my expense. having a good laugh thinking back at that thrashing..

Lucky you! Growing up in Knysna I surfed(boogie) there a bunch, and had one of your CR experiences in the middle of December holiday rush.. I was trying to sneak up to the peak on the inside next to the rocks and paddled across to early. a 3-4 ft thick bomb broke in front of me. I didn't even feel them go, snapped my leash and lost my pants. No board to hold in front of my weener, my car key was looped around the string in the pocket of my baggies, as one does, so I HAD to find them. Of course some mates found them first and had a laugh at my expense. having a good laugh thinking back at that thrashing..

Hahahaha. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

hahahaha Never lost my boardies but have definitely been spotted looking for my board once or twice!

lol.

OK OK One last surf story.

My folks used to live in Jeffreys and I'd naturally go up to visit quite often. This one time Supers was ALLLLLLL TIME. Proper supers. like in the movies. I had this one wave. Took off at the top of the point and got tubed through impossibles. The most ridiculous tube ever. A big round brown thing. I kicked out at Tubes. Paddled into the very next wave and got absolutely thumped but i was happy. Came in and said to my wife I can stop surfing now coz I'll never get a wave like that ever again.

The surf gods must have been listening coz the next morning it was just as good. I miss timed my jump off at the paddle out spot and got dragged down the rocks. Board destroyed. Wetsuit torn. lots of blood. Mother nature can humble you when she wants to.

If you know jeffreys you'll know that you can hardly ever make it through impossibles. a lot of variables have to come together. Tide, Size, Direction, Wind, You getting lucky. I've only ever seen it do that once.

Edited by Duane_Bosch