Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

The past few weeks I've been in one of those 'new bike death spirals'. 

Currently, I've got a 170mm enduro tank. I recently did my first marathon race in years and actually enjoyed the pain and suffering a bit. So, that got me thinking. I'd like a bike which is more suited for big miles, but I also only want one bike, as I will typically only ride once a week. Thus, a second bike is just not on the cards. 

So, I had a look at this: 

199280_29.jpg

Radon Skeen Trail - 29", 130/120, 68° HA, 454mm reach. So, pretty decent trail bike numbers, but should be good to cover ground quickly. 

BUT, I also want to do some Enduro races this year and they can get pretty gnarly, so that bike might just kill me. 

Aaargh! 

Mid-travel 29er maybe? Just wondering whether that class of bikes is really that much more efficient than a 650B with a bit more travel. 

Decisions, decisions. 

Another vote for the 29'' I think its all going in that direction anyway. 

Very interesting to see how in the Enduro-mtb mag, trailbike catagory bikes have gone from averaging 120/130mm to 150mm. I think a 140 rear end is enough. I guess it depends how you dress it up as well.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/trail-bike-3000-group-test/

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/high-end-trail-bike-group-test/

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-trail-bike-you-can-buy/

in the earliest test 28% of bikes were 29''

in the last, 61 were 29''

In my humble opinion, as someone also interested in the mythical no compromise one bike quiver (its all a compromise BTW) in this day and age I think the biggest two factors in the one bike quiver is weight and the height of the front end. If you can keep the front end as low as possible, even better adjustable.. you're winning. Weight, In the distance game, it will always be a factor. Therefore, get two wheelsets, since swapping wheels are about as much haste as one would want to go through, but also quite an important part when it comes to confidence,ability,weight and strength.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But seems the better well known brands are scared of a public lambasting under the banner of FUGLY.

I still think they ugly. But I do appreciate the madness. Especially that 29er super enduro.

We need guys to keep pushing boundries. Especially at a time where so many bikes feel like they've have exhausted the neo geo status quo. Sensibly opting to explore and/or refine other areas. Like GG and the 4in1 bike. Refreshing and thought provoking while Pole just looks eccentric.

What I did find refreshing about ze Germans was that they seem to have stopped heaping excessive praise on 29er bikes and were more balanced in their reviews of the 27.5 bikes. The smaller wheelsize came up as a positive rather than a negative... maybe the wheel really is turning :-)

Seems the 'Merican sites and a bit of the UK sites are more "29'er bedonerd" vs the Euro boys and girls in their reviews.

What I did find refreshing about ze Germans was that they seem to have stopped heaping excessive praise on 29er bikes and were more balanced in their reviews of the 27.5 bikes. The smaller wheelsize came up as a positive rather than a negative... maybe the wheel really is turning :-)

Pinkbike is still very much on the 29er Kool-Aid. 

After saying this though, I am certainly intrigued and keen to still swing a leg over a modern 29'er AM or trail machine (Note, not a ^$%&^$ E-Bike).

Seems the 'Merican sites and a bit of the UK sites are more "29'er bedonerd" vs the Euro boys and girls in their reviews.

Who sells the cushcore here? I think it looks amazing!

I shall look into that!

Cool... On order. Amped to get it fitted and take the bike for another spin. (with slightly more pressure!)

Yeah... I figured a DD casing would be better better than squirmy sidewalls and an insert.

As for blitzing you guys, maybe in a few weeks after getting this beauty dialled!

Trailtech cycles they do all the rad goodies!

After saying this though, I am certainly intrigued and keen to still swing a leg over a modern 29'er AM or trail machine (Note, not a ^$%&^$ E-Bike).

You're welcome to take mine for a spin!

It's not 63/77 Sick bike geo but it says 66/75 on the box!

• 2 weeks later...

My last couple of rides with semi trained roadie fitness as an added bonus have yielded some great speed and easier climbing. Still running the Aggressor up front and the grip on damper trails has been great. 

One thing I've always known but never bothered to adjust is shock air pressure on cooler days. I could see the sag was greater on one of my cooler rides. Friday was warm again and the sag was back where it had been. 

Next on the agenda are a 38mm rise bar from Rapide (anyone have one?) and a DHF 2.5 for the front. 

One thing I can say is that the steeper seat angle is actually a 'thing'. Had a couple of rides on my new Ibis Ripmo and hell that thing fires up hills. One review said it was 'like riding a an ebike' up hills and while that might be a bit far fetched I can honestly say it climbs like no other bike I've owned and it's 160 / 145 travel 29'r. It surges forward so well just on normal peddling that I might actually come too like the 'ups' on a ride once I drop a few kegs. 

The Seat angle does make you feel a bit pitched forward on the bike but a couple of rides in you start to forget that. 

One point that the reviews repeat is that it's a really playful bike. I've just come off a Evil Following and believe me the Ripmo isn't that playful (prolly an unfair comparison tbh). Maybe measured up to some other enduro sleds it is or maybe it's because I'm running a coil front fork but nah... It's not dead by any means and deffo appreciates some moving around by the rider to get the flow going. The flip side is that it seems unfazed by most things in front of it to the point of 'oh yay, another DH line... nice view'. 

It's very ridable and fun at most speeds on standard trails but get it going fast and it all of a sudden just electrifies and steps up into a new realm leaving you to realise where this is designed to be and how far you are off getting it there on a regular basis. 

post-15825-0-17259600-1552920816_thumb.jpg

Edited by T-Bob

One thing I can say is that the steeper seat angle is actually a 'thing'. Had a couple of rides on my new Ibis Ripmo and hell that thing fires up hills. One review said it was 'like riding a an ebike' up hills and while that might be a bit far fetched I can honestly say it climbs like no other bike I've owned and it's 160 / 145 travel 29'r. It surges forward so well just on normal peddling that I might actually come too like the 'ups' on a ride once I drop a few kegs. 

The Seat angle does make you feel a bit pitched forward on the bike but a couple of rides in you start to forget that. 

One point that the reviews repeat is that it's a really playful bike. I've just come off a Evil Following and believe me the Ripmo isn't that playful (prolly an unfair comparison tbh). Maybe measured up to some other enduro sleds it is or maybe it's because I'm running a coil front fork but nah... It's not dead by any means and deffo appreciates some moving around by the rider to get the flow going. The flip side is that it seems unfazed by most things in front of it to the point of 'oh yay, another DH line... nice view'. 

It's very ridable and fun at most speeds on standard trails but get it going fast and it all of a sudden just electrifies and steps up into a new realm leaving you to realise where this is designed to be and how far you are off getting it there on a regular basis. 

attachicon.gifIMG_7600.JPG

My gash that looks good  :thumbup:

Awesome looking machine, I've considered replacing my ripley LS V3 for a ripmo but can't help but think it will be tooo much bike. I do the odd XC marathon and long dirt rides (Attakwas, Transbaviaans etc.) so thinking I just need to skill up on the ripley.

attachicon.gifIMG_7600.JPG

IMG_7600.JPG

Interesting... were you running the ribbon coil on the following as well? I ask this as I have recently gone from a ribbon air to a coil on my reign and I immediately noticed that the air fork is alot more poppy however that said I'd probably never go back to air. So lekker just arriving at the trails without finicky air pressure adjustments. I think that ripmo would look even better with a CC coil strapped in there.

Sweet looking bike!