Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

Okay, I'm struggling to understand how a suspension and geo thread has morphed into a pie eating and surfing war story thread :-) 

Oh, I guess the baggies doubled as riding shorts and the pies cause a weight gain leading to suspension adjustments...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'm struggling to understand how a suspension and geo thread has morphed into a pie eating and surfing war story thread :-) 

Oh, I guess the baggies doubled as riding shorts and the pies cause a weight gain leading to suspension adjustments...

Sorry Tim

Back on topic everyone!

I don't know how to surf but I'll enduro your mom.

That better?

Okay I'll crawl back underneath my bridge again,

That better?

????????????????????

Shredding the gnar, eh?

That better?

Much better!

This is slightly closer to the topic.. 

I'm currently looking for the right length stem.. Had a 70mm, which was nice for all-round riding and while I was use to it It worked. Then I went to a 45mm, which cornered better and better in the air.. but it puts me even further over the back when climbing. Then I put the 70 back on the other day for some longer rides and almost went OTB a couple of times, though climbing was definitely better.

Is 60 the holy grail? What are you guys running? 

I had my first ride of 2019  at Tokai on Sunday and a second last night. The place is such fun but tiring. Need to recalibrate my tech dial too. Riding the belts has lowered my capacity to ride steeper terrain.

I found the Agggressor on the front of my bike to work brilliantly there - seems the theory about our relatively firm terrain not needing the biggest widest spaced knobs is correct. I am now thinking of getting a DD casing for the rear and seeing how that pairing works out. 

The low bar height on my bike is the only issue with my current set up - higher rise bars to be ordered this week. 

I'm currently looking for the right length stem.. Had a 70mm, which was nice for all-round riding and while I was use to it It worked. Then I went to a 45mm, which cornered better and better in the air.. but it puts me even further over the back when climbing. Then I put the 70 back on the other day for some longer rides and almost went OTB a couple of times, though climbing was definitely better.

35mm with 458mm reach and 640mm top tube & 800mm bars with 50mm rise. 

I had my first ride of 2019  at Tokai on Sunday and a second last night. The place is such fun but tiring. Need to recalibrate my tech dial too. Riding the belts has lowered my capacity to ride steeper terrain.

I found the Agggressor on the front of my bike to work brilliantly there - seems the theory about our relatively firm terrain not needing the biggest widest spaced knobs is correct. I am now thinking of getting a DD casing for the rear and seeing how that pairing works out. 

The low bar height on my bike is the only issue with my current set up - higher rise bars to be ordered this week. 

yeah, for hardpack it makes sense to have closer spaced knobs. Just look at Dirt Jumpers and BMX's. For the soft, sandy, muddy loamy stuff, less so. But I still think the 2.5 aggressor looks like a nice mid-point between the lightweight & non grippy stuff, and the more aggressive tyres like Minion & Assguy. 

Case and point for each bike I guess. I'm usually between 35 and 50 depending on bike.

I also prefer a more centered position and flatter bars. But these are personal choices.

My focus is always on how these changes affect the way the bike feels while descending though and any compromises I have to make (if any) will be for the climbs. 

My Enduro has 50mm with 489 reach ( XL)

My HT has a 75mm with 450 reach (L)

Both work for me without back pain or any significant issues, although the HT is more of a handful on the downs

Maybe play around with your seat position. If you can get comfy with the seat as far forward as possible then stick to a shorter stem. You also need to shift your body weight forward on climbs with a shorter stem, to keep the wheel on the ground.

yeah, for hardpack it makes sense to have closer spaced knobs. Just look at Dirt Jumpers and BMX's. For the soft, sandy, muddy loamy stuff, less so. But I still think the 2.5 aggressor looks like a nice mid-point between the lightweight & non grippy stuff, and the more aggressive tyres like Minion & Assguy. 

All set to try Aggressor at both ends but no DD casing available...

All set to try Aggressor at both ends but no DD casing available...

yeah, I know. YOu may be able to get the 2.3 in DD still, but I think Rush stopped bringing em in. 

Only option is to bring em in yourself, I guess.