Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

Its an interesting experiment. Some of its speed is due to the mullet configuration which has been shown to be quicker than 29x2 by several riders, but not by as big a margin as this (check Lewis Buchanan's channel to see him testing a mullet and going quicker by 2 secs) The rest must be the long wheelbase and low BB, although I wonder if its not too slack. It will lose some of this speed if they raise the BB though, but they'd have to if its going to be pedalled around in an enduro race. I hope they do get a pro on one for a steep EWS race and see how he does.

I think a large part of Lewis being faster in that test was because of knowing the track better and better every run, and also following Danny Hart on that last run could have made a difference, pretty sure even Lewis said he thinks he was trying harder to keep with Danny on the last run, and then on top of that, if I remember correctly, it was his cleanest run in terms of traffic, even if people get out the way really quickly, it will slow you down having traffic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know in the e-bike class a few guys were dropping their suspension travel by 20 to 30mm to deal with the techy climbing aspect of the stages (not present in "normal" enduro). It could be that the Zeb does not allow riders to get their front end as low as they want it? Just a guess...

At first I was also surprised that most people are not running Boxxers or 49s, because with the motor why does weight matter... but then I saw the format and realised that there is actually quite a bit of climbing and techy maneuvering to be done - I'd choose a Levo SL with a 36 or Lyrik at most.

EDIT: Reply to Bos' post.

True..! I must say, I quite enjoy the #powerstage format. Technical climbing seems to be making a bit of a resurgence. It was a big part of riding growing up, I must admit. We rode everything.. Up and down. And although I for one do not want to see overly long uphill stages in enduro, because I'm so damn unfit, if its technical, It remains a test of skills. 

As far as dual crown vs Single crown.. How much more does one gain these days, with DC forks over the 30mm SC forks. Its not like guys are looking to go plusher.. I know the turning radius, and crown to knock with your knee while pedaling is enough reason. 

I would love to see a light weight dual crown fork. I used to ride a DC RS Judy in 1999/2000. Never had any issues with turning circle. 

the mass difference between a Fox 38 or Zeb and the latest Boxxer is not that much

There is only so much you can get out of  single crown fork, but there's definitely scope to make current DC forks lighter

I would love to see a light weight dual crown fork. I used to ride a DC RS Judy in 1999/2000. Never had any issues with turning circle.

the mass difference between a Fox 38 or Zeb and the latest Boxxer is not that much

There is only so much you can get out of single crown fork, but there's definitely scope to make current DC forks lighter

MRP Bartlett....

I think a large part of Lewis being faster in that test was because of knowing the track better and better every run, and also following Danny Hart on that last run could have made a difference, pretty sure even Lewis said he thinks he was trying harder to keep with Danny on the last run, and then on top of that, if I remember correctly, it was his cleanest run in terms of traffic, even if people get out the way really quickly, it will slow you down having traffic

Traffic, no kidding. I don't think you  watched all the videos. He did the mullet set up on the old and new bikes and did repeat runs on both. Danny Hart only features in one video These are his local tracks and he knows them really well so there's no question of him learning the track and going faster on one bike because of that. Back to the drawing board.

• 1 month later...

My big bike has just had a dropper post upgrade to a 160mm 34.9 job off a Kenevo eBike. Aside from a little bit of side to side play, the thing is perfect and was an absolute bargain off Bikehub. I suspect it was cheap because SA is a non-dropper nation and few people ride bikes with 34.9 seat tubes. The old post is now on my HT where it as desperately needed. The new post has no layback which is ideal for my big bike. The difference and extra 35mm of drop makes should not be underestimated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Howzit guys/girls.

I have a Fox DPX2 on my bike and I’m struggling with peddle strikes. Not sure what my cranks length is but I can’t change that anyway.

Is there a way to up the “spring rate” or something? I ride with the shock in open because I often forget to move it from the other settings. Can I just add air? Am I dom?

Flip the chips on that GG to the steep position. Should raise the BB a bit. Sag should still be around 30%

Flip the chips on that GG to the steep position. Should raise the BB a bit. Sag should still be around 30%

I put it in Gravity mode after our first run. Bike felt so good but I had to pay serious attention to my peddles.

I put it in Gravity mode after our first run. Bike felt so good but I had to pay serious attention to my peddles.

Check your sag first and foremost. Adding some low speed compression will also make the bike ride a tad higher. I manage with my enduro in the low setting but it has 170mm cranks.

What were you trying to sell while riding?  :ph34r:

I usually leave my peddling alone while out for a pedal....

Check your sag first and foremost. Adding some low speed compression will also make the bike ride a tad higher. I manage with my enduro in the low setting but it has 170mm cranks.

Sag is set. I added quite a lot of lsc but will give it a go with it maxed out. Thanks for the tip.

Hahaha! I actually bought some property.

RAD! Congratulations. It is most definitely a buyers market at the moment