Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

I assume you are suggesting I should probably look more at the spectral than the strive for my current use/level ? The issue is the same, the one matching my budget (7.0) also has the rockshock (lower spec)/sram components, and the spectral 8.0 is way too pricey and has the same Rockshock components as the Strive 7.0.

Plus I'm looking at getting a 2nd bike and too keep my marathon bike so I believe a full on enduro bike is a better choice. If I wanted to sell my marathon bike I could replace it with the spectral, but that's not what I want to do.

I'm only asking if the price difference is worth it between the strive 6.0 and 7.0 if you are not a pro enduro racer, but still looking at getting "seriously" into it.

No, its just its a 160mm Enduro rig and they say you cant ride bike parks, take big jumps or ride northshore. Why? cause for me at 160mm you should be able to do all that bordering on DH stuff.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, except that CRC have fooked me over rather. The rear hub they advertised as a 148  is in fact a 142 and therefore useless to me. The packaging and invoices all show it as a 12x148 hub but it arrived as a 142 and their website now lists it as a 142. I suspect they have a lot of unhappy customers right now. Feeling so disappointed. 

I've had the same issue previously and only realized after getting the wheels built. Tubeless and all ready to ride...so my deepest empahthy.

My Fox 36 came with a broken cable guide from CRC - I fought with them for a while and they ended up sending me a new billet one.

I reckon stand your ground and ask at least for the adapters for free.

Its the same for the 6 and 7

They are sexy bikes, dont get me wrong. But what happens when you need to warranty the frame? 

Its a chance to take at the end of the day as is with all other bikes. Then some manufacturers dont impose how to use and some offer lifetime warranty

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Honestly I dont think you can go wrong with either 6/7 in both Strive/Spectral

I'd go for the Spectral, simply because I play more than I race and when I do race I am in it for the fun and don't want to (nor will I achieve it) stand on the top step. 

Consider reading this 

Edit: Removed useless info. Added my 10c instead. Broken link

Edited by anybody seen george?

Its the same for the 6 and 7

attachicon.gif7.jpg

They are sexy bikes, dont get me wrong. But what happens when you need to warranty the frame? 

Its a chance to take at the end of the day as is with all other bikes. Then some manufacturers dont impose how to use and some offer lifetime warranty

Good point, I'll look into it, I'm not planning on doing massive jumps but I still like to play on the wider gaps at Gspot. For the warranty as you say it's a risk to take, I also fly to europe regularly so if I have an issue I can take it back there on my next trip, not ideal for sure...

Good point, I'll look into it, I'm not planning on doing massive jumps but I still like to play on the wider gaps at Gspot. For the warranty as you say it's a risk to take, I also fly to europe regularly so if I have an issue I can take it back there on my next trip, not ideal for sure...

I read a couple of reviews of the Strive. The bike has a steeper head angle than is currently in vogue and the commentary on PB for instance was quite negative. It has turned out to be groundless - the bike rocks at the EWS. Barel and the Canyon team know what they are doing. There is also a GMBN vid of Neil racing the Garbonzo on one. That is a steep gnarly track and it handled it well. 

The Spec of the 6 is good bar the brakes. I have Guide R's and although they have a nice feel they are weak compared to my ancient SLX brakes on my HT. I think the XT equipped bike will stop better and I must say I prefer Shimano shifting overall to SRAM. My Saint 10s is much smoother than my GX11, and it has double upshits ( to a higher gear) which no SRAM shifter has. 

Do the maths with a view to future upgrades eg brakes and see which one comes out tops. 

The fox 36 with the grip 2 is amazing nt sure what the performance is using. The Dpx2 is a better rear shock but I like the Lyrik a lot. Shame you can’t mix n match. Brake wise i’d Just sell either and get some Curas or some TRPs. Drivetrain, XT is a personal favorite but nothing wrong with GX. Sram does seem a bit more maintenance at times.

I’ve ridden both the strive and the spectral and you can’t go wrong. The spectral is more rowdy trail and the strive is a great choice too. It’s not as much of a sled as a lot of the bikes it’s up against so is surprisingly useable day to day. Just pick one and have fun, both models are great value and a good spec’. The local Canyon dealers aren’t even getting close with their ex demo prices.

I've had the same issue previously and only realized after getting the wheels built. Tubeless and all ready to ride...so my deepest empahthy.

My Fox 36 came with a broken cable guide from CRC - I fought with them for a while and they ended up sending me a new billet one.

I reckon stand your ground and ask at least for the adapters for free.

The problem with boost is that adapters don't a boost hub make. The flanges are wider apart. 

Funny because it's mostly true. Credit my maatjie Theunsie (who rides a Capra).

I see mostly XC bikes here actually, 2nd hand enduro bikes aren't easy to find, the dual suspension classifieds section is full of XC bikes  ;)

I was actually surprised when I moved from France to SA to see that everyone was riding without any form of protection (except for tiny cute little helmets) when we were riding full DH bikes in full DH kits in France, on much easier trails than what I ride here most of the time  ^_^  ^_^

I have to admit I do see more and more enduro bikes these days ;)

Edited by Jbr