Giant Trance 29 vs Scott Spark

thebob

Cheating on Mary with Eli, coil fork replaced by an air fork, looking at new younger short travel bikes instead of Penny, what's happening Myles? Are we going to see you don some lycra on an XC bike soon?

NEVER!

Okay, maybe for long road rides, I'll take my tiger-print bibs out and cover em with my shorts. But I've recently stopped using my bibs. Far more comfy in the saddle, to be honest. 

But but but.... I have been flirting with the idea of replacing Penny with something a bit less steamrollery when the time comes. Cos as much as I love this bike, it is a bit of a steamroller... 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: I should add, Giant's warranty is second to none. Have heard of a few guys (even second owners) claiming without having to jump through hoops. PhilipV on the hub here recently claimed for his frame, which was approved in a few hours from notifying his LBS.

This for sure.  I claimed last year on a just over five year old frame and it was not only replaced but upgraded to the latest model carbon with no questions asked.  Couldn't really ask for any more than that.  :thumbup:

Edit - the old frame was aluminum

Edited by dirtypot

Do you have the new Spark ie 2017^ with the Fox 34 or Pike? Coz that only differs with 0.7 degrees on head and seat angles and only 2 mm shorter reach can't imagine it being so much different to ride.

I have only rode the Trance and it felt sluggish with a ton and a half of pedal bob but the bike was not set up for me so could be little different if set up properly.

But if you have the new Spark I would not change it maybe ad some travel or go for some skills classes not saying your lacking just helps to have a different look at how you are riding.

Lighter, easier rolling tires will transform that sluggishness of the trance. DHR2s in maxx terra will make you work on anything that is not pointing downwards. I found little noticeable suspension movement, and the bike wasn't even properly set up.

Rejoice, For the masses will see the light in the next year or two..

They will buy the Trance, thinking they are still going to be chasing races weekend in and weekend out, but will find themselves wearing proper clothing and doing 25km of singletrack in 2 hours, and not give a poop.

in 2015-2016 whenever someone asked for advice on a trailbike, The 27.5 Trance was the go-to advice. Then 2016-2017 Scott refreshed the Spark, and it's hat was thrown into the ring as well whenever someone asked about a trailbike, especially when they wanted a 29er.  

Enter 2019 and Giant brings out a new, slacker,longer, more awesomer, shorter travel (wait what?) Trance in 29inch flavour, and it is the darling even though they haven't been seen in the wilds much. 

All I know is, whenever a giant demo day comes along, I'm taking that 29trance for a spin, coz I want one, I want one to park next to my 27.5Trance, and to confuse me whenever I need to pick a bike to ride.

Ek sien nie kans vir twee vrouens nie, maar ek sien kans vir nog 'n fiets.... en ek weet hoe daai fiets lyk.

in 2015-2016 whenever someone asked for advice on a trailbike, The 27.5 Trance was the go-to advice. Then 2016-2017 Scott refreshed the Spark, and it's hat was thrown into the ring as well whenever someone asked about a trailbike, especially when they wanted a 29er.

Enter 2019 and Giant brings out a new, slacker,longer, more awesomer, shorter travel (wait what?) Trance in 29inch flavour, and it is the darling even though they haven't been seen in the wilds much.

All I know is, whenever a giant demo day comes along, I'm taking that 29trance for a spin, coz I want one, I want one to park next to my 27.5Trance, and to confuse me whenever I need to pick a bike to ride.

Ek sien nie kans vir twee vrouens nie, maar ek sien kans vir nog 'n fiets.... en ek weet hoe daai fiets lyk.

Same. It's received nothing but praise in the reviews offshore. Bible of bikes, the PB version of that and several other publications as well. I don't think I've read a negative thing about it yet.

I've seen a few green carbon ones out on the trails.

I've been wanting to arrange a demo bike for a weekend, but I'm not gonna krap waar dit nie jeuk nie. Wait, it's itching...just trying to avoid temptation.

For now the test ride impressed me, and I'll leave it at that.

Almost all reviews of the Trance 29 are very positive. This is the only review that I found that isn't overwhelmingly positive, just okay...

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/giant-trance-advanced-pro-29-1-review/

I don't know what to think of this Enduro-mtb mag. It feels as if they don't really pay that much attention to things, and overly criticize bikes that aren't boutique. Several of their reviews I've read and thought they didn't really think about things as well as they could have. 

Guide T brakes on the 2nd level bike - yeah, maybe that's a "not great" thing, but a simple fix. Not the bike's problem. 

A progressive leverage curve is a bad thing? 

They'd rather see ali wheels and better brakes - yeah, okay. That I agree with as I personally prefer alu wheels.

Stack height too low, and the answer is "you're only able to fix it with all the spacers under the stem"?? Ever heard of a riser bar!?

But still... for the price, it's an excellent spec. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I had the 2014, 15, 16 trance and 17 and 18 spark 930.

Trance is hela slow compared to the spark. effort to pedal. for me doing xc type riding im sticking to the spark.

also.. spark is 27.5 plus or 29 wheels. trance is 27.5

Trance is hela slow compared to the spark. effort to pedal. for me doing xc type riding im sticking to the spark.

I see... What tires were on your Trance 27.5 bikes? And on the Spark now? Just wondering if the rolling resistance is playing a large part?

The Trance being discussed here is the 29er now.

2019 trance 29er @ 115mm rear travel being discussed here, FJP.