Garmin Fenix 5 or Forerunner 935

MTB G

Hi All,

Quick question or some advise....looking to buy either of the following watches.

Garmin Fenix 5 or Garmin Forerunner 935

Which one do you think is the better option and for what reason?

Price is very similar so more looking at which is the better option.

Thanks guys

If you take the 935 make sure to buy a screen protector

I don't get why they don't do a sapphire version... the sapphire glass is the business!

It's not like it's a cheap watch... it's not like you aren't active and at high risk for scratches when wearing it... it's not like the glass is a cheap easy replacement.

I just don't get it.

Hi All,

Quick question or some advise....looking to buy either of the following watches.

Garmin Fenix 5 or Garmin Forerunner 935

Which one do you think is the better option and for what reason?

Price is very similar so more looking at which is the better option.

Thanks guys

What are you buying it for? 

If for Triathlons and specifically Full Ironman.  Then 935.

Check out DC rainmaker reviews on both. 

I wanted a 935 because in my opinion it is pretty much the ultimate triathlon watch. Then I ended up buying the Fenix 5+ because it has all the same features and more, the most appealing for me was the music. If and when the 935 comes out with a music version I may change but at the moment I'm very happy with the fenix 5+. My Saphire glass is 100% perfect after 6 months I work in a factory and wear my watch in an environment most people wouldn't. Before I had an Apple watch and by this time the screen had plenty of minor scuffs. The the 935 is a lighter unit but the fenix 5 isn't that noticable on my wrist.

As a runner I chose the 935 and weighing it against my buddy’s Fenix I think I made the right choice. With scrawny wrists such as mine every bit of weight saving helps.

• 4 months later...

Sorry about hijacking the thread, I love my forerunner 935 and would highly recommend it but over the last two weeks the altimeter seems to have gone wack. It stays steady at 20 000m and my ascent/decents for run/rides is now 0m. I've reset the device, upgraded the software and soaked it in warm water with soap as per some forums i discovered. Has anyone else had this problem? My watch is past the warranty stage (1 year), will Garmin fix/replace it?

Sorry about hijacking the thread, I love my forerunner 935 and would highly recommend it but over the last two weeks the altimeter seems to have gone wack. It stays steady at 20 000m and my ascent/decents for run/rides is now 0m. I've reset the device, upgraded the software and soaked it in warm water with soap as per some forums i discovered. Has anyone else had this problem? My watch is past the warranty stage (1 year), will Garmin fix/replace it?

They replace it with a fee of sorts, get in touch with them  :thumbup:

I had the same issue with my Fenix 3. It was like a month out of warranty.

They quoted me but when i questioned them they ended replacing it for free.

I had the same issue with my Fenix 3. It was like a month out of warranty.

They quoted me but when i questioned them they ended replacing it for free.

I'll try and see what happens. This is definitely not user error/damage.

Apologies for being late to the party with this but I just had exactly the same issue with my 935 about 3/4 weeks ago. Mine was about 18 months old. I took it in to Garmin on a Monday afternoon, they got back to me to let me know that they were going to replace it for free on the Tuesday morning and I had the replacement in my hand on the Thursday. Fantastic service!

I bought a 935 a few months back. My first Garmin device, so I dont really have a reference point, as I moved over from Polar.

So far no complaints! Its far above the device I used to have.

I looked at the Fenix and I don like the looks of them, but they don't (or so I was told) come in a bundle with the heart straps anymore, wher as the 935 I bought came with both the tri strap and the dedicated swimming strap at just on 8,5k..

Those straps arent cheap

I bought 2 screen protectors off Takealot with eBucks for a song.

It is a lot of watch and functions for the money, and I havent got to grips with everything yet.  I do like the looks of a Fenix, they are very bulky and as I dont have gorilla type wrists the Forerunner made sense.