Cyclist killed by taxi, Durban

MarvH

Condolences to the family and friends. Umdloti offramp area on the M4 is a deadly section of road. This is the 3rd death there this year that I've heard of. Last week was a drunk ANC bodyguard killing someone in a head on. A few weeks before that was a guy on a superbike that ran out of talent. The road is always littered with fresh glass and car parts.

Perhaps the municipality should consider a solid barrier instead of a dotted line on this section?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Condolences to the family and friends. Umdloti offramp area on the M4 is a deadly section of road. This is the 3rd death there this year that I've heard of. Last week was a drunk ANC bodyguard killing someone in a head on. A few weeks before that was a guy on a superbike that ran out of talent. The road is always littered with fresh glass and car parts.

Perhaps the municipality should consider a solid barrier instead of a dotted line on this section?

I'd 2nd that suggestion. Whoever controls that section of road needs to reassess whether they have considered all the safety options long that stretch. 

So very, very sad, condolences to all the people affected by this but most especially the close family and friends of the dead rider.

As a Durban cyclist, please could I appeal to my fellow cyclists to maybe think about staying off the M4 in future? Not because they should or shouldn't but just because I do not want anyone else to get hurt or to die on this road any more. We are all far too valuable and there seems to be such limited respect for each other between different road users out there that I really don't think we should be taking a chance on that road anymore...

Just my thought (sorry for any insensitivity raised at this time if not appropriate), maybe impractical, but worth at least considering??

Yours sincerely. 

So very, very sad, condolences to all the people affected by this but most especially the close family and friends of the dead rider.

As a Durban cyclist, please could I appeal to my fellow cyclists to maybe think about staying off the M4 in future? Not because they should or shouldn't but just because I do not want anyone else to get hurt or to die on this road any more. We are all far too valuable and there seems to be such limited respect for each other between different road users out there that I really don't think we should be taking a chance on that road anymore...

Just my thought (sorry for any insensitivity raised at this time if not appropriate), maybe impractical, but worth at least considering??

Yours sincerely. 

Agree 100%.

We had great MTB / gravel bike ride from Musgrave side, keeping to back roads all the way through La Lucia / Umhlanga and onto the EMBA dirt roads all the way to the Airport and back.

So terribly sad to hear about someone doing what they love and dying for it.

Sadly the driving in KZN is absolutely shocking and I just think that one needs to reassess if its worth the risk of being on the roads, especially main routes like any M road.

Edited by andrew5336

This is very unfortunate and I'm deeply disturbed by such news greeting us almost every single week. 

Please please roadies to all of you, please familiarize yourselves with the laws of the road, I've taken the liberty of attaching the link to the rules along with the section I would like to highlight: 

https://www.arrivealive.co.za/Cycling-Rules-of-the-Road-and-Road-Safety 

Reg 323.
  1. No person shall operate on a freeway-
    1. a vehicle was drawn by an animal; 
    2. a pedal cycle; 
    3. a motorcycle having an engine with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimetres or which is propelled by electrical power or which is a vehicle as contemplated in paragraph (b) of the definition of motor vehicle in the Act; 
    4. a motor tricycle or motor quadrucycle; 
    5. a vehicle with a mass not exceeding 230 kilograms and specially designed, constructed or adapted for the use of a person suffering from a physical defect or disability; or 
    6. a tractor.

This is very unfortunate and I'm deeply disturbed by such news greeting us almost every single week. 

Please please roadies to all of you, please familiarize yourselves with the laws of the road, I've taken the liberty of attaching the link to the rules along with the section I would like to highlight: 

Reg 323.
    2. a pedal cycle; 
    3. a motorcycle having an engine with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimetres or which is propelled by electrical power or which is a vehicle as contemplated in paragraph (b) of the definition of motor vehicle in the Act; 
    5. a vehicle with a mass not exceeding 230 kilograms and specially designed, constructed or adapted for the use of a person suffering from a physical defect or disability; or 
    6. a tractor.

Terrible news yesterday about this accident.

Regarding the law, it is permissible to ride that road on a bicycle. The road from Umhlamga to Durban is not allowed. It is true that this road is risky, the cars are doing 100 km/h plus. I used to ride that road often, not so much anymore. It is one of the main routes in Durban if you start in town and ride North Coast. You cannot really road ride a long distance without using this road.

Reg 323.
    2. a pedal cycle; 
    6. a tractor.

Condolences to family and friends. This is happening two frequently.

The "freeway" always comes up when an N or M road is mentioned, and probably does serve as a useful reminder. If I am correct, and I do say "if," this section of the M4 is not a freeway. I also seem to remember triangular warning signs (black bicycle silhouette on white background, red edging), warning motorists of cyclists, implying that this is not a freeway and cycling is allowed.

I often ride non-freeway stretches of the N2 (in the Western and Southern Cape), and am surprised by the number of licensed drivers that try tell me bicycles are not allowed on an N road, not factoring in whether that section is marked a freeway or not.

Terrible news yesterday about this accident.

Regarding the law, it is permissible to ride that road on a bicycle. The road from Umhlamga to Durban is not allowed. It is true that this road is risky, the cars are doing 100 km/h plus. I used to ride that road often, not so much anymore. It is one of the main routes in Durban if you start in town and ride North Coast. You cannot really road ride a long distance without using this road.

Very sad news ... RIP Craig

My question would be,  how many more road deaths would there need to be before our govt / municipalities decide to build cycle paths adjacent to the freeways like this? Besides the long term benefit it would also create jobs etc. Global cities like Perth have them!!!!

Yours sincerely. 

Gary I understand why you would ask for this ^

Should the energy not be focused at altering driver behaviour? 

Should we not be focusing on creating cycling infrastructure rather than retreating into our living rooms and the virtual world of Tacx, Rouvy, Zwift and the like?

As cyclist we fight for our lives every time we sling our legs over out bikes on a public road. Retreating does not win the battle.

Does anyone have stats on how many cyclists have been involved in fatal or serious MVA's in 2018 and Jan 2019 to date?

Very sad news ... RIP Craig

My question would be,  how many more road deaths would there need to be before our govt / municipalities decide to build cycle paths adjacent to the freeways like this? Besides the long term benefit it would also create jobs etc. Global cities like Perth have them!!!!

Good question!

We would need to use The Netherlands as the leading example.

Its going to have to start with us, the cyclists. If we don't apply pressure to the authorities than cyclists like Craig will have died in vain.