New Riders - Tubeless Opinions

Darko

Hey everyone. 

New riders checking in. We just got our bikes and once the fitment & delivery etc has been done we're keen to get into this and get some dirt on our faces.

Just a quick question with regards to tubeless conversions. 

We don't really plan on going too crazy and riding trails and going off the beaten path for the time being. 

Is it necessary for us to get the conversion before we get going? Can we wait? Should we wait? Or should we just get it over and done with? 

Is it necessary for us to get the conversion before we get going? Can we wait? Should we wait? Or should we just get it over and done with? 

1. yes
  2. no
  3. no
  4. yes

go ride with tubes and learn the hard way the same way most of the longer riding riders have done

the joys of patching a tube on the side of trail absorbing the sounds of nature is an experience not to be missed

All it takes is one little paperthorn to ruin your ride with tubes.

I nearly gave up riding before going tubeless it was so frustrating.

Since then I haven't had a cut or hole that hasn't fixed itself.

I don't even take plugs or bombs 95% of the time...stupid but I've got complacent haha

Get proper tubeless tyres and do the conversion. Just shop around for proper tubeless tyres - CWC and Evobikes usually has some good deals.

The tyres on your new bikes are most likely not going to cut it (or rather, they'll cut easily) unless you bought really expensive bikes.

Don't pay retail for tyres, it's flippen expensive and you can easily buy stuff onlinethat's way cheaper.

I have two mates that started riding last week and they had exactly the same question. Against my advice they decided to postpone getting tubeless conversions because they have already spent so much just getting all the necessities to get started. On their first ride, still on the 2km tar stretch before we get to the mountain..first flat. Lucky for him his bike came standard with slime tubes without him even knowing. They worked quite well for sorting out a little thorn. So if you say you're not going to do to extreme riding at first, consider the slime tubes.. Cheaper alternative to going tubeless. But slime tubes aren't going to save you if you hit something worse than a thorn. In a month or two when you realize you are going to keep on riding and get more serious, then go tubeless for sure.

Thank you! I did some digging online and over the phone.

The tires on the bikes are apparently tubeless ready. So it's just the conversion that will cost, and had Linden Cycles quote R500 per bike. Which seems reasonable.

Think we might just go ahead and do that.

go ride with tubes and learn the hard way the same way most of the longer riding riders have done

the joys of patching a tube on the side of trail absorbing the sounds of nature is an experience not to be missed

Jip,

As mostly a roady I was hard to convince , Slime in the tube should be the same was my Logic.

However with the tyre pressure less than a road bike it does not quite work that way. Had a few punctures every now and then. When I bought the bike I currently ride 4 years ago it was fitted with tubeless, Have not had a puncture since.

So someone else made the correct decision for me.

But I would advise to go tubeless on MTB to all who would listen now.

My advice: Go to your local bike shop get yourself the tubeless bits and bobs and try your hand at doing the conversion yourself. 

It's really simple and easy. 

My biggest issue is normally the time lost when leaving the bike at the shop. It doesn't even take 30 min to do if you have good quality tyres

Thank you! I did some digging online and over the phone.

The tires on the bikes are apparently tubeless ready.

Then forget the slime tubes! Just go tubeless straight away.

I like Robert's advice. It's a 15min job that took me an hour the first time. Nice skill to have because you're not going to just do it once or twice if you keep on cycling for years.

Hey everyone. 

New riders checking in. We just got our bikes and once the fitment & delivery etc has been done we're keen to get into this and get some dirt on our faces.

Just a quick question with regards to tubeless conversions. 

We don't really plan on going too crazy and riding trails and going off the beaten path for the time being. 

The only reason your bike isn't tubeless yet, is because it's a mess to ship bikes from manufacturer to the shop fully tubeless.

for me it works out quicker to do it myself than take the bike to the LBS ... spend lot's of time looking around and then going home and repeating the same "looking" process again when collecting .... my LBS has nice things to look at :P

My advice: Go to your local bike shop get yourself the tubeless bits and bobs and try your hand at doing the conversion yourself. 

It's really simple and easy. 

My biggest issue is normally the time lost when leaving the bike at the shop. It doesn't even take 30 min to do if you have good quality tyres

Archived