Lifting the front wheel when climbing

FirstV8

Thats probably the problem

Dont throttle the bars and relax your grip.

Dont pull up on the bars.Its in the legs

Much easier to show what Julien Louw showed his class, than to try and put it in words ....

When dropping your wrists, tucking in your elbows, and THEN pulling on the handlebars you are actually pulling DOWN on the handlebars.

Again, just for SHORT and very steep inclines.

Stuff such as A-frames - come in with the correct momentum, one or two kicks as you come up the ramp, and roll-over the top with you in the attack position.

Longer hills ... relax (certainly no tugging on the bars for long hills), breath, get the right gear and move your body forward to keep the tires on the ground ....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

125kg to 86kg. That is pretty amazing! You must feel great? :clap:

If I could manage to lose THAT much weight, I seriously wouldn't mind having BOTH wheels coming off the ground!   :whistling:

Tip of the saddle, place your boom boom there

Correct, and that is where the term on the rivet comes from....

Had the same issue with my old Trance 29, to be honest I was on a medium where I normally ride a large, was well within the Giant recommendations chart( slap bang between M&L) Bike decended like a demon but I would really have to get my weight way forward on steep climbs to keep the front wheel down. To be honest I also had a short stem and wide bars on as well as per previous advice

Thanks to all who contributed to this topic. Took the advice to lower wrists, tuck in elbows and lean forward as I was also lifting on uphills and thus losing power and momentum. Worked like a charm at Cradle Moon red course.

Edited by Neil Vendeiro

I lowered my bars by on spacer , tried keeping my elbows in a dropping my wrists . Im not sure what worked best but it seemed to have made  difference .Our ride on saturday did not include too much climbing but were there was an incline i pushed hard and did not have lifting . Having always done weights and swimming its hard to keep ones elbows in .( i naturally have them bent ) .I think the biggest contributor was the lowered bars . 

Also try to keep pedalling power as constant as possible. If you stomp down op the pedals on the downstroke then this also happens (as well as possibly breaking traction). Too hard a gear and you will tend to push down too hard. Rather spin at constant speed and power.

Also try to keep pedalling power as constant as possible. If you stomp down op the pedals on the downstroke then this also happens (as well as possibly breaking traction). Too hard a gear and you will tend to push down too hard. Rather spin at constant speed and power.

I've heard that oval chain rings can help with this.