Lifting the front wheel when climbing

FirstV8

I hope the MTB gurus can give me some advice to solve what is happening when climbing short or long climbs . The last few rides when going up climbs i tend to lift my front wheel . This is annoying as it tends to throw  me off my rhythm and also sometimes nearly come off as my wheel hits the ground . I go back on my saddle when i climb and am now at 86kg . I ride a Silverback Sido 2 with Maxis tyres .

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a steepish climb, Don't go back on the saddle. Slide forward and put some weight over the handlebars. It's not quite as fast, but the wheel will stay on the ground. 

Try to "tuck" your elbows in when you climb, e.g. pull them closer to the centre of your body. This should centre your weight more over the bike and make it less likely for the front wheel to lift or rear to spin out, but still allow you to be able to turn your bars if required. You should also find that this helps you to optimise the way you pedal straight into the pedals rather than bouncing on the bike. I hope this makes sense...

I go back on my saddle when i climb and am now at 86kg .

I am by no means a guru, but when things start to go up, you need to position yourself ever more forward on your bike to maintain balance and traction. Inverse is also true: position yourself more and more backwards when going down steeper and steeper downhill sections.

It might be that your starting position is wrong, as in your bike is not the right size or you need to go for a bikefit to adjust your current setup.

Have you had a bike setup? If not, there are a few things you can try.

If your front wheel lifts your weight is obviously shifted too far backwards, and you are probably in a very light gear.

If you have not had a bike setup, try to get your saddle height and handlebar height at the grips level with each other. Other things can be a very short stem length resulting in a very upright position, once again causing weight to shift backwards.

Also one needs to lean more forward when climbing, bending your elbows etc.

Edited by Wimmas

Could be as they guys say you need to move your weight more forward. I had the problem even with my weight more over the bar but started climbing in heavier gears and the problem is better especially with steep switchbacks.

An old xc rule of thumb, your seat should be 2 inches higher than your bars.

Basically setup.

Julian Louw taught the following to a recent class :

SHORT very steep climb -

- stay seated

- drop the wrists 

- tuck elbows in

- lean forward with your body to get your centre of gravity forward.  moving forward in the saddle also helps

- PULL on your handle bars, which gives you a lot more kick onto the peddles

This works both for keeping the front on the ground, and getting that explosive power to get up the hill.

I have been experimenting with some of these components on slightly longer steep climbs recently .... 

Edited by ChrisF

Juliam Louw taught the following to a recent class :

SHORT very steep climb -

- stay seated

- drop the wrists 

- tuck elbows in

- lean forward with your body to get your centre of gravity forward.  moving forward in the saddle also helps

- PULL on your handle bars, which gives you a lot more kick onto the peddles

This works both for keeping the front on the ground, and getting that explosive power to get up the hill.

I have been experimenting with some of these components on slightly longer steep climbs recently .... 

Thats probably the problem

Dont throttle the bars and relax your grip.

Dont pull up on the bars.Its in the legs

Thats probably the problem

Dont throttle the bars and relax your grip.

Dont pull up on the bars.Its in the legs

If you engage your core it shouldn't be a problem.

People who road cycle and start MTB usually have this problem initially. MTB requires the rider to move and shift weight for and aft.

Slide forward on the seat or hover just above it to keep the front wheel pinned and retain traction at the rear wheel. Its a balancing act you need to practice.

Engage core,  drop wrists, tuck elbows in, pull on the bars ?

Maybe when I push my elbows down, I achieve all of that and it stops my front wheel from wondering around.