Has anyone done the BIG snip?

Beard

Then go for the general anesthetic option. I had the choice of a general or local anesthetic, and went for the local. Really regret it.

Otherwise not bad, a couple of days of discomfort, that was about it. 

Recovery and risk post anesthesia are not worth it imo - just do the local and move on - it's a quick and small procedure - ask for a tranquilizer beforehand and that will take the edge off during the op.

Post op discomfort does to some extent depend on who does the procedure - I certainly don't recommend driving yourself home and walking 18 holes the next day like I did, but I survived fine - but others may not - in hindsight it would have been better to groan a bit and elicit some spousal sympathy for the great sacrifice.... as unlikely as that would be to come from my ex.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/180964-has-anyone-done-the-big-snip/?p=3461709

Dude ... it took you nearly a year from asking to going to see the Dr

I think we will also be taking the same steps in the near future....brought it up with the wife recently, so will see how it goes.

Bud, I have been putting it off. I came up with so many excuses but I am now running out of them and I can't re-use any because you know how woman remember stuff like that. So I know I am already going to suffer at CTCT so think I might do it afterwards to reduce the suffering.

I broached it with my wife a few years ago and got a strange response: What if I die and you remarry and want to have more kids ?

'Gee, like I hope not, I dunno and definitely not' were my answers and that sort of ended the conversation.

I think at that stage, she was harbouring thoughts of having a 3rd kid. Hopefully she is over that now that our two are 13 and 11 years old and our life is full and busy (and we realise how expensive kids are!).

Recovery and risk post anesthesia are not worth it imo - just do the local and move on - it's a quick and small procedure - ask for a tranquilizer beforehand and that will take the edge off during the op.

Post op discomfort does to some extent depend on who does the procedure - I certainly don't recommend driving yourself home and walking 18 holes the next day like I did, but I survived fine - but others may not - in hindsight it would have been better to groan a bit and elicit some spousal sympathy for the great sacrifice.... as unlikely as that would be to come from my ex.

That was the reason I opted for the local initially. However, during my procedure I started stressing a bit and getting anxious. According to the doctor, when your adrenaline starts pumping, the anesthetics wear off quicker, so half way I started feeling the cutting and a bit of pain and he had to readminister the anesthetics. Apparently I had nearly double the normal amount in the end. If I had known about taking a tranquilizer before, I would have!

So if you're harder than me and it doesn't bother you and you won't stress during the procedure, go for local

I broached it with my wife a few years ago and got a strange response: What if I die and you remarry and want to have more kids ?

'Gee, like I hope not, I dunno and definitely not' were my answers and that sort of ended the conversation.

I think at that stage, she was harbouring thoughts of having a 3rd kid. Hopefully she is over that now that our two are 13 and 11 years old and our life is full and busy (and we realise how expensive kids are!).

My brother in law had it done a long time ago, froze some sperm before doing it.

He later got divorced and is now remarried.

The youngest of his 2 kids from teh first marriage is 20, his new wife's youngest from her first marriage is 16.

New wife is now preggies again. I didnt get all the details (dont really want to pri) but from what I've been told is she had AI done. Weather they harvested from him surgically or used the frozen stuff i dont know.

For me, I really dont want any more kids, whether that be with teh current wife or should crap hit the fan and we split and I marry again, the new wife.

That was the reason I opted for the local initially. However, during my procedure I started stressing a bit and getting anxious. According to the doctor, when your adrenaline starts pumping, the anesthetics wear off quicker, so half way I started feeling the cutting and a bit of pain and he had to readminister the anesthetics. Apparently I had nearly double the normal amount in the end. If I had known about taking a tranquilizer before, I would have!

So if you're harder than me and it doesn't bother you and you won't stress during the procedure, go for local

not the sort of conversation for this thread .........

My brother in law had it done a long time ago, froze some sperm before doing it.

He later got divorced and is now remarried.

The youngest of his 2 kids from teh first marriage is 20, his new wife's youngest from her first marriage is 16.

New wife is now preggies again. I didnt get all the details (dont really want to pri) but from what I've been told is she had AI done. Weather they harvested from him surgically or used the frozen stuff i dont know.

For me, I really dont want any more kids, whether that be with teh current wife or should crap hit the fan and we split and I marry again, the new wife.

I still have the ability to produce swimmers..i.e.. Not had the snip done... But definitely don't want anymore kids

I still have the ability to produce swimmers..i.e.. Not had the snip done... But definitely don't want anymore kids

For me, it's not that I don't want more kids, I can't flipping afford more!!!! LOL It sounds so bad when we say things like we definitely don't want more kids.

@stretch after the op you still produce swimmers, they just can't get to the storage sack that they end up at. That's also why there's a delay inbetween getting the procedure and being sterile: the sack needs to be emptied.

Also, it is reversible.

For me, it's not that I don't want more kids, I can't flipping afford more!!!! LOL It sounds so bad when we say things like we definitely don't want more kids.

there is the money side of things, but there is also the time side. As it is with 2 kids i dont feel like I give them as much of my time as I should.

Ad to that we had various pregnancy issues that were rather emotionally taxing.