Has anyone done the BIG snip?

Beard

I hear you, and trust me Im not going cheap for cheap sake... if I could afford to go for the best all the time I would but im trying to do the best with what I have which is not a lot. 

Fully understand, good medical coverage ain't that cheap these days. Was just taking the p#$% a bit.... sorry

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive tried searching the forums (and the net) but Im struggling to find any recent info on having a Vasectomy without going broke. Has anyone had one recently? Where does one go and How much? 

I know first port of call should be your GP who will probably refer you to a urologist for the 10-15min procedure. But some of the pricing I am seeing is R15000? Surely not. R1000/min for some ball play from an older gentleman, I dont have money for that (but if you do and thats your game, Power to you!) 

It seems that only if you on the all bells and whistles option of medical aid will they cover that. Surely there must be some more affordable method for us mere mortals who have to pony up ourselves and (thank you to our kids who we love very very dearly BUT dont want more)  dont have thousands of rands lying around.

I have seen some family planning clinics do it for free/minimal amounts but they are in rather "rough" areas... at least the ones near me. Im trying to find the middle ground... the working mans ball snipper!

Finally... how long before I can grace the bike seat again?!

Id really appreciate any input.

Phone the GP's in your area and find out who does the procedure in-house and estimated cost.

Then obviously work from there as this will be the cheapest deal. And yes, the majority of GP's have the training and facilities to do it in-house.

I had mine done on the 8th Feb (just over a week ago).  I don't have med aid and went to Victoria Hospital - it's completely free.  Went in at the beginning of January for the counseling (mandatory) and then booked for the op which was four weeks later.  Went into the hospital at 7am and was out at 9:30 - quick and easy.

The actual op was fairly straightforward - uncomfortable feeling, but not painful/shameful/weird.  It felt like being in any other theater.  I put it off for years, but it really wasn't bad at all.  I drove myself home afterwards.  The next day I did a 3km run with my kids, then on Sunday I rode 50ish km's on the trainer.  From then on I rode every day as normal and this weekend I did two 100km+ rides.  No loss of riding intensity at all.  The first few days was a bit tender for the first couple of minutes on the bike but it went away quickly. 

The bruising was next level, but the pain I'd classify as mildly uncomfortable rather than painful.  The evening of the op was the worst, but even then not so bad.  Now a week and a bit later its just about completely normal. 

Edit - the doc doing the procedure comes in especially for these and only does three a week.  He was an older gentleman (Dr Weber) and was clearly very experienced.

Edited by dirtypot

Ive tried searching the forums (and the net) but Im struggling to find any recent info on having a Vasectomy without going broke. Has anyone had one recently? Where does one go and How much? 

I know first port of call should be your GP who will probably refer you to a urologist for the 10-15min procedure. But some of the pricing I am seeing is R15000? Surely not. R1000/min for some ball play from an older gentleman, I dont have money for that (but if you do and thats your game, Power to you!) 

It seems that only if you on the all bells and whistles option of medical aid will they cover that. Surely there must be some more affordable method for us mere mortals who have to pony up ourselves and (thank you to our kids who we love very very dearly BUT dont want more)  dont have thousands of rands lying around.

I have seen some family planning clinics do it for free/minimal amounts but they are in rather "rough" areas... at least the ones near me. Im trying to find the middle ground... the working mans ball snipper!

Finally... how long before I can grace the bike seat again?!

Id really appreciate any input.

Mine was covered my hospital plan.  Discovery paid in full.  

2 weeks before I got onto the rollers again.  Road surface' bumps has a certain eina to it.

Sex.....well.....you can go the day after it.........it's just not "safe"......

Think I had to go do the test like 6 months after the opp to get an all-clear.  

Definitely worth it.

There is a VERY detailed thread on this somewhere on the hub.  

But maybe you don't wan't to look for it though......loads of "what went wrong" stories on there.....heheheheh

Mine was covered my hospital plan.  Discovery paid in full.  

2 weeks before I got onto the rollers again.  Road surface' bumps has a certain eina to it.

Sex.....well.....you can go the day after it.........it's just not "safe"......

Think I had to go do the test like 6 months after the opp to get an all-clear.  

Definitely worth it.

There is a VERY detailed thread on this somewhere on the hub.  

But maybe you don't wan't to look for it though......loads of "what went wrong" stories on there.....heheheheh

this bit depends entirely on what the anaesthetist and uro charge, and what your plan covers. 

If your plan covers you at 100% of the *insert med aid* rate, and your docs charge 200%, there will be a gap you'll have to either settle yourself, or cover through GAP cover. 

If your plan covers 200% and your docs charge 400% (very very possible) then you'll also have to cover the gap yourself, or through Gap cover. 

this bit depends entirely on what the anaesthetist and uro charge, and what your plan covers. 

If your plan covers you at 100% of the *insert med aid* rate, and your docs charge 200%, there will be a gap you'll have to either settle yourself, or cover through GAP cover. 

If your plan covers 200% and your docs charge 400% (very very possible) then you'll also have to cover the gap yourself, or through Gap cover. 

Thanks for the Info... Im on Momentum and I am my own Gap cover. I suppose it depends a lot on who you go to and how many multiples of medical aid rates they charge. 

Edited by The Beard

Went to my Local Gp .

Local anesthetic and was an Ox 20 mins later.

All paid for by Medical aid, just make sure you get it pre authed.

I did tell him not to Play down there :whistling:

Had it done on the Friday was back at work on the Monday.

A little uncomfortable for a few days.

Im now a SPORTS model

Thanks for the Info... Im on Momentum and I am my own Gap cover. I suppose it depends a lot on who you go to and how many multiples of medical aid rates they charge. 

which option, and which gap? How long have you been on the gap cover?

Had mine done this past Friday. Fully covered by hospital plan. Left hospital straight into a weekend away camping with family and friends. I did take it easy but haven’t had pain as such. Very slight discomfort every now and then but nothing hectic.

My question is not when I can ride again but when can I get back on the job?

Hope my mother in law doesn’t read this

Had mine done this past Friday. Fully covered by hospital plan. Left hospital straight into a weekend away camping with family and friends. I did take it easy but haven’t had pain as such. Very slight discomfort every now and then but nothing hectic.

My question is not when I can ride again but when can I get back on the job?

Hope my mother in law doesn’t read this

Depends entirely on your capacity for pain thanks to the bruising. Some recover faster, some take a bit longer (yeah, did a lot of research on this before I did it) 

Give it a go, and see what happens. 

if you have a med aid / hospital plan, take out a gap cover, wait the couple of months for the thing to kick in and then get it done.

A few months could be too long :ph34r:

if you have a med aid / hospital plan, take out a gap cover, wait the couple of months for the thing to kick in and then get it done.

3 month general waiting period applies for any new gap entrant, normally. 

I assume you don't have Medical aid OP?

Mine was fully covered by medical aid.

Edit:

Recovery time depends from person to person, I had quite a bit of discomfort, was back at work on the third day, spent quite a bit of time walking on site, and it was not fun. Had a larger (quite) than normal testicle. 

I had to check to make sure you said walking  :w00t: