Tools for bike build

Pieter1

I see an opportunity for a shameless punt  :blush: I have some tools I am clearing out at very low prices - http://www.tri-cycles.net/workshop/

I don't have everything you need but might cover a few of the parts (chain whip, cassette tool and cable cutter are the easy starting point). The dust cap tools are also very useful if you have a shimano crank.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see an opportunity for a shameless punt :blush: I have some tools I am clearing out at very low prices - http://www.tri-cycles.net/workshop/

I don't have everything you need but might cover a few of the parts (chain whip, cassette tool and cable cutter are the easy starting point). The dust cap tools are also very useful if you have a shimano crank.

Thanks dude!

I watched this video a while back and its really helpful... lists everything the basic bike needs to build and maintain his/her bike right from starting out. It gives you the budget items and what you should spend your money on.

https://youtu.be/VgSRoQULvvI 

Edited by The Beard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYwNo02o7yU

Computer, modem, internet access - essential if you haven't done it before. Doing things in the right order and in the right way will make it a lot easier. Watch this, a Giant Anthem build, but you can also find many others that will show road and old classic builds.

Much easier than I thought. Thanks!

Ah okay. Cool thanks guys. What grease should I get? Also had a look on amazon for a torque wrench. Are all created equal or should I bite the bullet and get a park tool one?

Look for something with a decent calibration cert. Park tools very expensive for what you get IMO. Pedros make a good torque wrench for much more sensible prices.

judging by the above posts he is the only one that knows the difference :thumbup: 

Not really, so did you.....

What Meezo said and -

* Pliers for cutting outer cable housing.

* Torque wrench (if you want to do it properly).

* You might need a T25 and/or a T30 Torx Wrench.

* Hanger alignment tool (might not it but can save you struggling to set gears).

You should not need a hanger alignment tool on a new frame and new components....

You will find that as you build you need a number of general and specific tool and you need a repair stand. You can do the research on the tools and maybe get the Parktool repair book but note that with all the different variations on parts make sure you get the right BB tool,rotor tools etc. A bleed kit + mineral oil for Shimano is a must and a hydraulic line cutter and needle driver makes the job easier. Get a good cable cutter, you will not regret it. Always use a torque wrench for everything and be careful with carbon. Get a 3/8 and buy some 3/8 torxs and hex bits. Use good grease, I like the Motorex Calcium based greased, seems to be similar to the snot Shimano uses. You will have to cut the fork and maybe the bars. Get a cutting guide and a good hacksaw. Carbon paste...the list goes on and on

Good luck with the build.

I agree partly, I think Park is great for specific bike tool but for a torque wrench I would most certainly look at Gedore and Norbar. Norbar makes a very nice 1-10NM in 1/4 and 3/8 and you can buy directly from them. Do not drop the thing, a recalibration is R750 last I looked. The wrench is probably around 1500. Do not skimp on a torque wrench. Another thing, I find a vernier a very useful tool (one that does mm, inch and fractions).

BB tool

Cassette tool

Chain whip

Allen keys will do almost everything, except you need a hex for the rotor bolts. Also if you cutting/shortening the hoses of the brakes you'll need a bleed kit

Technically you won't need a chain whip to put the bike together........ just saying  :whistling:

Pieter you are in the ideal position to take a step back and consider the bigger picture ....

Those of us with tools, end up paying premium for one or two tools at a time.

You can often find "complete kits" on special price from the various shops .... often at a fraction of the individual components ...