Tubeless inflation

Sepia

Gooday All

Some opinions please from those who have tried this.

Does inflating a tubeless tire initially (new or old) on the rim (say 21mm) without any sealant enhance the ease of seating the tire with sealant and using a compressor afterwards, with or without the valve core? (if this makes sense)

I ask this because it has been suggested that this is the best way. I have tried it but the air escapes before the bead can actually seat itself. This is visually apparent before you even start so how can this be possible?

Look forward to the replies.  Thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I normally fit without sealant.

soapy water on the bead (both sides of the tire) and pump till they go pop.

I use a floor pump (except for kenda and maxxis tires, them ******* need a compressor)

then I deflate and add sealant via the valve

I remove valve core, fit the tyre, attempt to pump it with a floor pump let all the air out, add sealant through the valve and then refit the core and pump up. If it doesn't seat with the floor pump, I have to either use a bomb or head to the local garage to seat. 

I've never tried it, solely because I'm lazy  :D

My goal, always when doing tubeless is to not use a compressor, my conversion needs to be so snug that I can inflate the tire with a foot pump  ;).

My method to achieve this: 2 layers of Gorilla Tape. Once the tire sits on the rim I can not move it around, some tubeless tape is quite thin and do not provide a good seal, they also shift under the pressure of the wall of the tire.

Gooday All

Some opinions please from those who have tried this.

Does inflating a tubeless tire initially (new or old) on the rim (say 21mm) without any sealant enhance the ease of seating the tire with sealant and using a compressor afterwards, with or without the valve core? (if this makes sense)

I ask this because it has been suggested that this is the best way. I have tried it but the air escapes before the bead can actually seat itself. This is visually apparent before you even start so how can this be possible?

Look forward to the replies.  Thanks

Nothing wrong with doing it that way.Just remember to use some Sunlight liquid to help the tyre seat.

I always seat my tyres before adding sealant.  Never had a problem doing it that way.  As the previous hubbers have said, a bit of soapy water helps with the seating.

What are you using to inflate the tyre?

If you haven't heard the pop then normally you haven't seated the tyre properly and the bead will retreat once you deflate.

Ive done it both ways... I now only use sealant first time if I know the tyres will seat, otherwise you need to play with the tyre to get it to pop, then no sealant... Use soapy water and an old paint brush, works great.

Nothing wrong with doing it that way.Just remember to use some Sunlight liquid to help the tyre seat.

Yip, forgot to mention using Sunlight liquid mix.

I always seat my tyres before adding sealant.  Never had a problem doing it that way.  As the previous hubbers have said, a bit of soapy water helps with the seating.

What are you using to inflate the tyre?

Compressor and soapy water.

I probably install 5-10 tyres a week and use a nice, but not overly fancy track pump. It's a MTB high volume one by Lezyne, but not one with a pressure chamber.

Let's assume we're talking about tubeless ready tyres and rims designed for use with such tyres, ok?

I wrap the tape around the rim twice, install the tyre on one side, add sealant and close the tyre. I then spray a soapy mixture from a spray bottle between tyre and rim, and pump until the tyre seats. I don't stop pumping until I reach 3 bar, or the tyre has seated evenly on both sides, all the way around.

If you're struggling to get your tyres to seat, you're either using non-tubeless-ready tyres, or your rims aren't designed for tubeless i.e. they don't have a tubeless-specific inner profile:

If your rim looks like the one on the left, don't use it tubeless. If you have a flat out no the trail, you'll really struggle to get it inflated again and will have to put in a tube. If your rim looks like the one on the right, the tyre should stay seated even with a flat, and you should be able to plug the hole and get going again.

post-72928-0-69774000-1551261529_thumb.jpg

Let's assume we're talking about tubeless ready tyres and rims designed for use with such tyres, ok?

I wrap the tape around the rim twice, install the tyre on one side, add sealant and close the tyre. I then spray a soapy mixture from a spray bottle between tyre and rim, and pump until the tyre seats. I don't stop pumping until I reach 3 bar, or the tyre has seated evenly on both sides, all the way around.

Exactly what I have been doing but using a compressor.  Maybe the pressure of the air is too high......although the volume should be ok.

I too have seated many tires but I have this one difficult tyre.  Very much like having a difficult poo because you just have to be patient, and then some.

I prefer to install and bead the tyre first without sealant. You then already get a good idea of how well yout tubeless setup is sealing.

I then remove the valve cores and add sealant that way.

Curious about the hookless rims - how well do tyres stay seated on them?

Easily. Just as they stay put on car rims, which are also hookless. As are the majority of carbon rims. The pressure of the tyre and the profile of the rim work together to ensure a stable fit. There's normally a little channel or slight chamfer that the bead sits on to "keep" it there.

Exactly what I have been doing but using a compressor.  Maybe the pressure of the air is too high......although the volume should be ok.

I too have seated many tires but I have this one difficult tyre.  Very much like having a difficult poo because you just have to be patient, and then some.

Nah, compressor is just perfect for seating tyres. Preferred way, in fact. 

Archived