Lever driven road bike

Chris NewbyFraser

Well the first step in being innovative is to believe that something can be improved upon, despite it's provenance. Of course the second step is having an idea which doesn't require an alternate set of governing principles for it to work...like Newton's #1.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a reason that bicycle design hasn't really changed much in the past few decades: Its actually a pretty good design. It might have a few flaws, but clearly not enough to render it obsolete.

This lever thing will end up in the same place as these abominations: Cruising the promenades of Florida

maxresdefault.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nN1epv1uAqk/UHmlvr2e-XI/AAAAAAAAFJE/guPcBw2oBqM/s1600/flitz.jpg

573f14c88a4565973c6a3437-523-392.jpg

How did anyone ever think that the first two were good ideas?!

Reminds me of how the designer of the Fiat Multipla must feel...

yeah that first one is just a really nasty fall waiting to happen with all kinds of strap attachments to rip your **** off ,bars to puncture your lungs and a frame to smash your face into :clap:

Edited by bikebloke

So it's been a slow day...and I got to thinking about my Newton's #1 comment above. And I wondered about the 'doubling power' comment and how inefficient we and the bicycle is.

So a bike is pretty efficient (pedal input to road wheels) with 1-2% inefficiency for fixed speed and around 10% for a rear mech. So no scope to double power through improving inefficiencies there.

But rider muscle efficiency (food to mechanical) is another story as that sits around 20 to 25% (very similar to a car engine ironically) and it might be tempting to say this could be significantly increased by, for instance changing rider pedalling position so the muscles operate differently (recumbent anyone?). But food to ATP efficiency seemingly is only at 40% so other efficiencies must sit around 50 to 60%, so some scope theoretically here perhaps? But it would suggest these other efficiencies would need to be maxed out at 100% to get a doubling of muscle efficiency.

Anyway I then looked at the inventor's patent and got bored. Lots of improvement claims from eliminating the conventional pedal dead spot with levers. Over to someone else!

But rider muscle efficiency /cut/  might be tempting to say this could be significantly increased by, for instance changing rider pedalling position so the muscles operate differently (recumbent anyone?).

. Over to someone else!

The first (of about 7 times) I got the Whatsapp, I looked at the riding position and figured that there is no ways in which you I could recruit your my glutes on that up and down machine. I recon it is quads only and as such must be less efficient that a circular stroke.

The first (of about 7 times) I got the Whatsapp, I looked at the riding position and figured that there is no ways in which you I could recruit your my glutes on that up and down machine. I recon it is quads only and as such must be less efficient that a circular stroke.

Why not? If you said hamstrings, I would perhaps agree

Ha ha ha I remember seeing a sales person from a Fiat dealership driving one, with vinyl stickers on the side stating "I am beautiful inside'...

Maybe the reason the chain has been around so long is because it really is the best way to transfer power from the legs to the back wheel.

yeah that first one is just a really nasty fall waiting to happen with all kinds of strap attachments to rip your **** off ,bars to puncture your lungs and a frame to smash your face into :clap:

Now that you mention it, I kinda wouldn't mind seeing someone grop off a thing like that....

Maybe the reason the chain has been around so long is because it really is the best way to transfer power from the legs to the back wheel.

From a motorbike information site:

A chain drive is about 3% power loss.

Belt drive is about 9% power loss.

Shaft drive is about 25% power loss.

Yes, maybe those ratios become over-blown because of high rotational speeds and much higher power / torque in motorbike transmissions, but I was always led to believe that a well maintained chain drive system is one of the most efficient means of power transfer.  

From a motorbike information site:

A chain drive is about 3% power loss.

Belt drive is about 9% power loss.

Shaft drive is about 25% power loss.

Yes, maybe those ratios become over-blown because of high rotational speeds and much higher power / torque in motorbike transmissions, but I was always led to believe that a well maintained chain drive system is one of the most efficient means of power transfer.  

And there we have it. This is also why performance motorcycles almost always have a chain, not a shaft.

Same as this badboy. 1401416356f619f4da6674857c44fcd5.jpg

Fk that was a skin eater of note. I lost a lot to the tar, no hemut, but big roasties. It is a classic thou.

maxresdefault.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nN1epv1uAqk/UHmlvr2e-XI/AAAAAAAAFJE/guPcBw2oBqM/s1600/flitz.jpg

Hahahahahaha

The engineer in me cringed from start to finish.

Is it magic pixie dust that lifts his legs back from the bottom of the lever stroke to the top?

Further with less effort?

More power requires less gears?

Gravity allowes Nubike to pedal itself - woohoo perpetual motion - he has just solved the world's energy crisis.

Nubike handles knee pain for you?

Aaaaah he studies film and video in college - it all makes sense now....

All of that said - it is an interesting engineering oddity!

Hey Eldron

Given the patently clear benefits that can be gained from these designs, that just need a bit of tweaking, can we set up a design review meeting to turn this beaut into an MTB fit for the Cape Epic?

maxresdefault.jpg

Hey Eldron

Given the patently clear benefits that can be gained from these designs, that just need a bit of tweaking, can we set up a design review meeting to turn this beaut into an MTB fit for the Cape Epic?

maxresdefault.jpg

If the design review meeting is in Cape Town I'm in. It's currently hovering around zero with rain here!

That design would certainly smooth out the Epic :-)