Lever driven road bike

Chris NewbyFraser

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From an engineering perspective, i think its a fantastic development, it pushes the boundaries of bicycle design and probably the best ive seen from all the other inventions over the years. I suppose you'll get the pessimists and the haters, like with E-bikes. It was probably the same when many years back the bicycle design moved from Penny Fathering direct drive on front wheel to chain driven on the back wheel - to quick release - to gearing - to cleats etc etc. All these inventions moved cycling forward to where it is today.

If these were available i'd buy one in a heart beat

never going to happen cause you would just look like a knob bouncing along like that   ^_^ 

and seriously for a moment what joint pain ...? it sounds like its being marketed like a TV snake oil product - sell it on efficiency but not on bogus nonsense

Edited by bikebloke

It's interesting but I don't see it really going anywhere. I just don't see you achieving anything like the kind of cadence you can with the normal rotary set up. Also, muscle usage is quite different – I think that people who are used to rotary setups may struggle to adapt to this. May also be less efficient for that reason. 

The History of Nubike

When Rodger Parker saw riders struggling with greasy chains to fix a flat, he thought there has to be a better way. When he saw riders walking out of the hills with broken chains and clothing destroyed by chains, again he thought, there has to be a better way. When his wife ended up with a knee problem likely caused from years of extensive riding, he knew there had to be a better way.  Rodger found it hard to believe that in the 150-year history of the bicycle, no one solved these problems. So, he thought…let’s fix it!

Gates-Belt-Drive-Amsterdam-Upgrade-kitt.

At the end of the day the market and big business decides... Sure this may be better engineering, more efficient but unless the big bike companies jump on board I doubt it will go anywhere... (also you do look a bit like an idiot on one of these and most cyclists dont want to look like idiots)

think Blue-ray vs HD DVD or rotary vs piston engines... sometimes the "better engineered" doesnt always win... maybe not the best examples but this lever technology is probably been patented by this american bloke and I doubt wether Shimano or Sram who probably cover about 95% of bicycle drivetrains and own a plethora of their own patents are going to start switching over to lever and paying royalties.