Should the CTCT race format change?

DieselnDust

My vote for the shortened route would be start in the same place Maybe on the same day? Some of the other roadie races do this. Admittedly with far fewer riders

Follow the same route. But at Fishhoek circle hang a right towards Kommetjie. Rejoin the long route at the Long Beach mall. That stretch is only 5ish km long so no need for refreshment stations either.

The only negative would be the whole of Fishhoek being cut off from the world till 12ish. But let's be honest. Genetically they've been cut off from the rest of the world since people first arrived there.

maybe earlier...and they say Australia is the land evolution forgot....

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

........The only negative would be the whole of Fishhoek being cut off from the world till 12ish. But let's be honest. Genetically they've been cut off from the rest of the world since people first arrived there.

Ha ha, I thought isolating Fish Hoek a positive! :ph34r:

Short route options? Interesting question that!

1. I assume they would want to have the same start and finish because it will use the same logistics at both venues. Just makes financial sense too.

2. I assume they would want to use as much of the long route as they can for the shortie, again to save on logistics. That means Grand Parade, M3, Constantia Neck, Hout Bay, Chappies, Green Point. Like Savage said!

3. Unless of course they want to use the short route as an experiment up the West coast to judge how it could work and how it would be recieved as an alternative in future, in case unrest or disaters, like fire or floods, close the main Southwards route. If that is closed again on short notice, then having half of the logistics on the alternative route all ready to go, would be a huge advantage. Lets say a 60 km short route to melkbos and back gets added to the M3 short ride we had a few years ago - it will give you roughly a normal lenth 110 km race.

4. Personally I would love if the short route includes both Chappies and Suikerbossie, and I would think using the M3 all the way to Fish Hoek and then through Sun Valley and over Chappies would be fantastic, but it may be a bit tougher that ideal for an easy short family friendly route.

5. Easy flat routes mean going North towards Melkbos, but that means major Southeaster risk for the less experienced short route riders. On a good day the views will be iconic though!

6. So, yes, i think the Savages are probably right with their first choice!

7. Where are the bookies?

>2> You realise that Constania Nek is dangerous nd also does not spit you out in Noordhoek. So to go this way riders would need to ride up the North side of Chappies and come back down the same way...

>3> that could work 

>4> I'm betting that this is the ideal solution as it still presents a challenge for participants without the hassle of the extra 40km

>4> I'm betting that this is the ideal solution as it still presents a challenge for participants without the hassle of the extra 40km

Guys it's getting boring doing all the thinking around here.

i reckon a start/finish in fishhoek is an option

only really because anything in town is an inconvenience to more people.

could even include a loop in cape point NP, to make it 60

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/-34.2664386,18.46298/-34.1264151,18.404455/-34.3301646,18.4605548/@-34.1811865,18.3764407,40930m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m10!4m9!1m0!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d18.3237572!2d-34.146113!3s0x1dcc6ca7f483bed1:0xf85ea275c471f4e7!1m0!3e0

You would need to get new approvals and assessments done, not that simple.

For sure, but this is CTCT.

I'm sure the Fresh Prince could have that arranged in a second!

>2> You realise that Constania Nek is dangerous nd also does not spit you out in Noordhoek. So to go this way riders would need to ride up the North side of Chappies and come back down the same way...

>3> that could work 

You dont need to do Chappies, rather the Nek and Suikerbosie. 

Its better than just the highway out and back. 

You cant cut off the whole of Hout Bay. 

Think 45km would be ideal.

Hence this may be best - a loop to milnerton then suikerbosie on back. Sort of like the 12 one run vibe. 

https://www.strava.com/routes/19465205

You dont need to do Chappies, rather the Nek and Suikerbosie. 

Its better than just the highway out and back. 

You cant cut off the whole of Hout Bay. 

Think 45km would be ideal.

Hence this may be best - a loop to milnerton then suikerbosie on back. Sort of like the 12 one run vibe. 

https://www.strava.com/routes/19465205

AFAIK, constantia nek is not used for any races anymore for a reason.

PPA used to start lots of them in from constantia village and this would be the first test.

BUT it's a windy descent into HB, there were multiple serious accidents over the years and eventually that was that.

PPA used to start lots of them in from constantia village and this would be the first test.

BUT it's a windy descent into HB, there were multiple serious accidents over the years and eventually that was that.

safety was the reason to drop it. But that was with the road open to traffic. Two head on cyclist with motor vehicle collisions effectively stopped the Nek from being viable

A 16 year old kid kit a bus coming up the nek in the group ahead of us in the mid 00’s. But this will be a closed road event, no cars.

I think the decent is safer than paradise motors or onto he blue route as not as wide and not as steep.

Suikerbossie, Constantia neck ... might as well be 109kms ;P.

I thought this route was aimed at beginners i.e I'm hoping to enter with my 11 year old book worm daughter on a route that is a step up from the kiddies 7.5km loop. I think the Fish Hoek via Cape Point through Scarborough back via Kommetjie to end at Noordhoek would be a simpler route with less climbing/no steep climbing (they mention 47 odd kms). It also gives you some awesome sea views.

Anyways, looking forward to the route - now to get my daughter as excited as I am about it!

Edited by MDJ

I sit in Jo'burg so know nothing, but my thought about a Fishoek/Simonstown start is that it does not shut down the city as it would do if the race were to start at the usual spot.

Imagine the logistics of arriving from out of town and needing to get to the stadium to register or your hotel in town with a race in progress.