Should the CTCT race format change?

DieselnDust

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Using Constantia Nek for the shorter route would be a poor choice as it shuts Hout Bay down for the day. Spectators won't be able to get in, residents won't be able to get out and they already hate cyclists it seems. Guess I'm a bit of a NIMBY in this regard.

Using Constantia Nek for the shorter route would be a poor choice as it shuts Hout Bay down for the day. Spectators won't be able to get in, residents won't be able to get out and they already hate cyclists it seems. Guess I'm a bit of a NIMBY in this regard.

There is still chapmans peak to get in and out of Hout Bay. If there are 5000 riders they should be through by 10am so not a major issue.  The descent into Hout Bay probably more dangerous, but probably not more than paradise motors or down onto the blue route.

Short route will have to include Chapman's Peak to be a viable idea. I'm banking on the route being same as Sunday except cut across black hill then Chappies and Suikerbossie.

the smart move would be to make the MTB on the Saturday, starting on the Parade, up through Table Mountain reserve, (Epic PRologue,) then cut across and follow the Newlands, Kirstenbosch , Cork tree trails to Southern Cross, green belt and onto Tokai, through Silvermine and onto Chappies and Suikerbossie to get home.

too much tar?? well that would strip out the "i-did-the-Argust-on-a-mtb-with-knobbie-tyres!"

Short route will have to include Chapman's Peak to be a viable idea. I'm banking on the route being same as Sunday except cut across black hill then Chappies and Suikerbossie.

the smart move would be to make the MTB on the Saturday, starting on the Parade, up through Table Mountain reserve, (Epic PRologue,) then cut across and follow the Newlands, Kirstenbosch , Cork tree trails to Southern Cross, green belt and onto Tokai, through Silvermine and onto Chappies and Suikerbossie to get home.

too much tar?? well that would strip out the "i-did-the-Argust-on-a-mtb-with-knobbie-tyres!"

Sho, that wont make it much shorter than the full route, add you get a lot of Freeway in that.  Also road closure for the whole of the deep South for 2 days in a row... 

think this is most likely... maybe even via fish hoek instead of black hill.

if we going on about inclusivity as basis for the shorter route, why not expand the concept to cycling in other areas. Take the shorter route through another different part of cape town? I can well imagine though, the logistics could be problematic, but everything is hard in the beginning.

if we going on about inclusivity as basis for the shorter route, why not expand the concept to cycling in other areas. Take the shorter route through another different part of cape town? I can well imagine though, the logistics could be problematic, but everything is hard in the beginning.

Well, not everything. 

First year will probably be the fire shortened route as its just high ways and is easy to do. 

Maybe the next year they get it out to Atlantic sea board, that would be more of a head ache but more awesome. I dont think it will be more than 50km to try and get 6 year olds etc to be able to do it, 65 would be too far. 

When you say 'Include other parts of Cape Town', which parts do you mean?

I would suggest Chappies and the Atlantic Sea Board would be the 'main attraction' so would it make sense to roll down The M3, turn right at Rhodes drive, go down the Nek, over Chappies and back?

That can't be more than 50km?

Also, why are we assuming it would start in the same place? Surely it could start at Fish Hoek Athletic club or another venue?

Setting up start chutes is easy and inexpensive.

I would suggest Chappies and the Atlantic Sea Board would be the 'main attraction' so would it make sense to roll down The M3, turn right at Rhodes drive, go down the Nek, over Chappies and back?

Also, why are we assuming it would start in the same place? Surely it could start at Fish Hoek Athletic club or another venue?

You would need to get new approvals and assessments done, not that simple.

Depending on how long they want to make it, how about a Simonstown start and either along the usual route from there or up Blackhill and pick up the route in Sun Valley ?

My vote for the shortened route would be start in the same place Maybe on the same day? Some of the other roadie races do this. Admittedly with far fewer riders

Follow the same route. But at Fishhoek circle hang a right towards Kommetjie. Rejoin the long route at the Long Beach mall. That stretch is only 5ish km long so no need for refreshment stations either.

The only negative would be the whole of Fishhoek being cut off from the world till 12ish. But let's be honest. Genetically they've been cut off from the rest of the world since people first arrived there.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I know it didn't happen in 2019, but last year watching the XCO Stellenbosch on Argus saturday was the best cycling related thing to do by a country mile.

The only negative would be the whole of Fishhoek being cut off from the world till 12ish. But let's be honest. Genetically they've been cut off from the rest of the world since people first arrived there.

True, but a second negative is congestion as two races join and you end up with children and those frantically chasing the sub-whatever on the road at the same time 

Depends on the number of entrants. Also the logistics for a Parade start is already in place

Short route options? Interesting question that!

1. I assume they would want to have the same start and finish because it will use the same logistics at both venues. Just makes financial sense too.

2. I assume they would want to use as much of the long route as they can for the shortie, again to save on logistics. That means Grand Parade, M3, Constantia Neck, Hout Bay, Chappies, Green Point. Like Savage said!

3. Unless of course they want to use the short route as an experiment up the West coast to judge how it could work and how it would be recieved as an alternative in future, in case unrest or disaters, like fire or floods, close the main Southwards route. If that is closed again on short notice, then having half of the logistics on the alternative route all ready to go, would be a huge advantage. Lets say a 60 km short route to melkbos and back gets added to the M3 short ride we had a few years ago - it will give you roughly a normal length 110 km race (fast and furious).

4. Personally I would love if the short route includes both Chappies and Suikerbossie, and I would think using the M3 all the way to Fish Hoek and then through Sun Valley and over Chappies would be fantastic, but it may be a bit tougher that ideal for an easy short family friendly route.

5. Easy flat routes mean going North towards Melkbos, but that means major Southeaster risk for the less experienced short route riders. On a good day the views will be iconic though!

6. So, yes, I think the Savages are probably right with their first choice!

7. Where are the bookies?

Edited by DJR