Ticking/Creaky Sram Eagle 12 Sp Cassette

love2fly

Good to get the feedback re Sunrace. I am coming up on a cassette replacement and have been eyeing a Sunrace 12x. Listening to all the bad reviews from Sunrace I will opt to go OEM SRAM rather. Same for the chain. 

"goedkoop koop is duur koop" rings true in this instance.

That grinding on the dinner plates is often a B-screw adjustment. I hope it is.

Taking things apart and putting them back together too often normally just leads to more problems

It is set according to the manual. Will revisit that to make sure it is 100%  Thank you.

SLX may still be OK but Sunrace, no thank you not for me.  I remove & replaced it as soon as the opportunity popped up on the hub.

Pretty expensive fix for me. I'm tempted to "borrow" the SO's NX cassette for this weekend to test.

If it works I'm "only" out R3500 (includes chain which needs replacement anyways) compared to switching to to microspline freehub + shimano slx cassette + chain at R4100

Pretty expensive fix for me. I'm tempted to "borrow" the SO's NX cassette for this weekend to test.

If it works I'm "only" out R3500 (includes chain which needs replacement anyways) compared to switching to to microspline freehub + shimano slx cassette + chain at R4100

I feel your pain, thats why I'm still 11 speed.  If I go 12 speed, I want to do XT for shifter, derailleur and chain with a Garbaruk cassette, and then also the small but expensive DT Microspline freebody.  Thats going to a crap load of bucks, hence will have to wait.

My current 11 speed setup is still good for quite a while.

ChrisF.... Is Maritz ready for a real bike?

I'm about to put my Camber Grom up for sale...... Just saying. 110mm of jump landing, trail shredding squish front and rear.

(Cries after such a shameful punt)...

But seriously.... :ph34r:

He is now riding the Titan 24-9er ... it is a 26" bike with extra small frame.

The green machine is waiting for him .... as soon as he can stand over the top tube.

My wife may just kill me dead if I line up number three in this point ... :)

He is now riding the Titan 24-9er ... it is a 26" bike with extra small frame.

The green machine is waiting for him .... as soon as he can stand over the top tube.

My wife may just kill me dead if I line up number three in this point ...

Ha..

What a pity. I shall throw it onto the classifieds and see if anyone bites

Are you certain it's coming from the crank? Is it not 'referred' noise and vibration from elsewhere? I have found that if my chain is dry or dirty then it seems as if my whole front mech is shot, i.e. BB and crank bearings. Then I lube up and voila, sorted.

Problem I am currently having is that my rear hub sounds like it's finished. Just pushing the bike around makes it sound like a worn out bucket of jarring metal. Riding alternates between clicking, grinding and a high pitched whistling sound coming from the back...

Actually have no idea, was thinking it might be the chainring. Not sure if I need a 1x12 specific, or will any narrow wide work? Could it be the chain line?

Haven't had the chance to do a proper ride (New build) so its hard to say. My cassette also has a slight wobble, guess the shop didn't fit it right.

Edited by Bomberman

Actually have no idea, was thinking it might be the chainring. Not sure if I need a 1x12 specific, or will any narrow wide work? Could it be the chain line?

Haven't had the chance to do a proper ride (New build) so its hard to say. My cassette also has a slight wobble, guess the shop didn't fit it right.

If your cassette has a wobble, it could be poor fitting, or it indicates damaged hub bearings. 

I suspected my freehub body was damaged, but luckily that was not the case, but I have worn out rear hub bearings, and am awaiting new replacement parts.

But now that I reread your last question, I recall having the same feeling on my crank (almost like a very slight vibration when putting torque on the pedals). My drivetrain has about 8000 odd km on the hubs and around 4500 odd km on the NX cassette, chain and chain ring.

I am thinking it is indeed referred noise / vibration from the rear hub assembly via the chain due to the worn hub bearings. 

Disclaimer  - I cannot absolutely verify the above, but to me its the most likely cause. 

Having a similar problem on my bike at the moment. In the biggest 3 gears at the back it's starting to sound like i'm grinding something. On the repair stand I am hearing what sounds like bearings running rough so I guess I'm stripping down the hub and checking it out this weekend. 

Funny enough when the chain is freshly lubed the grinding sound goes away. 

Another noise was also called by the chain touching the bottom of the cage. Straightened it out and things seem quite again. 

Just the ticking left on gear 4 or 5 from the top to find and fix. 

Not impressed with this Sunrace / SLX combo to be honest. 

I run an oval chainring (first was Absolute Black) and now CSixx...they seem to last less time than the round type, but each time I have had to replace it was indicated by a grinding sound from the chainring when on the top 3 (largest) gears...