1x12 or 1x11

Dezziboy

The time has come for a new cassette and chain and well basically... Grouoset. Currently on the slx 2x10 but now everyone is on 1x12 I see. What would be the better option when it's money saving upgrades.

Sunrace 1x12 11-50 or slx 1x11 11-46?

Any thoughts or pointers?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NX 1x11 or you mean 1x12?

It does cost a few extra pennies but I do understand quality over cheaper parts.

It does cost a few extra pennies but I do understand quality over cheaper parts.

Unless you are seriously weak you won't need that 500% range, 1x11 has more than enough range, it's cheaper, lighter and the detailer it's so gigantic that you have to worry about every single rock

NX 1x11 is my choice, however it's up to you

On my previous bike I have been on SLX 1x11 with a Sunrace 11-50 cassette. Highly recommend it. The gear jumps aren’t that different from a 11-50 12-speed.

On NX 1x12 I feel the close spacing of the gears are harder to set. There is always that one gear that does not sync properly.

Edit: SLX 11-46 is a bad setup. Gear jumps are too big between the last two gears.

Edited by Engel-a

Depends where you ride, if it is malnly trail 11x is fine, had no problem before I moved. Then moved to a new town with a different riding culture ( more road training than I was used too) and I started running out of gears on the flats so I upped the size of my chain ring, perfect until we went on the trails. You either loose out on the top or the bottoms end.

Changed over to GX 12x as the NX gives you a similar scenario with loosing a bit in the top or bottom, admittedly a smaller loss, but add on the better longevity of components as you move up the spectrum to the greater range ( remember NX is not 500%) I felt that GX was better in the long run. So far to me GX 12 beats the Xx 11 I had before

Actually about to take the brave move of moving my wife’s bike to GX 12 from a 2x10 setup with ladies gear range, I could not do this before us to the difference in her current setup compared to what the 11x or even nx could offer ( 30 chain ring on a 11x you don’t go nowhere fast but you have a nice granny)

My bike came with GX12. I destroyed the derailleur but luckily had a GX11 shifter & derailleur lying around. So currently running 11 of the 12 cogs on the Eagle cassette (10-42 on a 32T chainring & 29" wheels)...its enough for trail riding/enduro races in the WC. Pretty tough on an XC race when your legs are poked and you have to climb a long or really steep hill. In JHB a bigger chainring would definitely be necessary for the flatter terrain.

Edited by Christofison

With the price and accessability of 1x12 at the moment I don't see any reason not to get it. I've had NX 1x11, XO1 1x11, GX 1x12 - they all work very very well.

Buy a GX Eagle groupo if you can afford it (that 10t small cog on the cassette adds a massive amount of top end range), if budget is an issue go NX Eagle, and if you feel range lacking replace the cassette with a GX Eagle and XD driver when the NX cassette is worn out.

Living in Gauteng I would also say 1x11 is enough, having moved to Western Cape recently I'm of the opinion that 1x11 is enough if you are fit, but when you are climbing Saaltjie for an hour straight that 50t on an Eagle groupo is damn nice. I see no reason to not go 1x12.

NX 1x12 (either NX or Sunrace 11-50 cassette) with a 34t chainring is a quality drivetrain and a reasonably priced upgrade from your current setup. 455% range at better spacing than the Shimano 11-46. Decent top end, great climbing gear.

GX 1x12 adds the xd freehub requirement that is always more costly than you think, on top of the added cost of going GX. I'd spring for it if in your budget though, installed it on my wife's bike and it gives phenomenal perception of quality.

Whatever is cheaper. XT 1x11 or NX 1x11

1x12 is a nice gimmick.  I am not a strong rider and 34T x 11-46 is more than enough for anything I have ever ridden

I just love how no one is recommending Shimano here. 

I'm running 1x11 X01 currently on a 11-42 setup and I feel the range is good and reliably harder/easier when shifting. 

I have personally been looking at options as my chain is nearly at replacement stretch and have come to the realisation that a extra gear is not worth the price investment as within the next 6 months something new comes out tanking that pricing.

If you like your 2x10 system currently dont change. There is nothing wrong with 2x10 and still gives you a lot more range than the 500% eagle setups will give.

My personal opinion would be stick with your 2x10 or if you MUST upgrade go to a 1x11 basic setup and spend the saving in components on new pedals or seat or a new bib etc.

Edited by MTB-More

The time has come for a new cassette and chain and well basically... Grouoset. Currently on the slx 2x10 but now everyone is on 1x12 I see. What would be the better option when it's money saving upgrades.

Sunrace 1x12 11-50 or slx 1x11 11-46?

Any thoughts or pointers?

So basically you need a Shifter , derailleur, cassette and chain.

I'd go 12spped and go NX Eagle 1x12. You won't need the XD driver for the NX eagle 11-50 cassette.

If you spring for a little more money get a Eagle X01 Shifter and it'll feel like XX1 but at Slightly above NX cost.

My opinion is to go for XO1 eagle. Yes it is more expensive than NX or GX but from my experience will last almost 3 times longer so in the long run works out cheaper...