Strongest deeper rim for heavier rider

varkie2

Hi Guys

So i was looking at replacing my epic with a new bike, but im going to lose to much money as the epic is still in great nick.

So i want to replace the rims on my HOPE/arch wheelset with a wider and deeper carbon or alloy set. Im not a weight weenie at all. I just want a bulky looking strong rim that wont buckle or give me problems. Ideally between 25 and 30mm deep. And that i can put a bit bigger volume tyre on. Ideally the Stans Flow but would prefer something deeper as my XL frame looks as if has marie biscuit for wheels on at the moment.

I dont do enduro riding i am more of a XC/epic style rider. 98kgs heavy

Also looking at getting the Fox stepcast 34 120 fork with it.

What can you advise with regards to the rims

Would really appreciate it!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at some Chinese Carbon Rims.

I'm 110kgs and ride on a set of 24mm internal width carbon rims (28s) from YishunBike. I've broken an axle but not the rim so that's got to count for something.

Nextie also have some great looking options but a but bit pricier.

Carbon is the most likely rim material to give you that deep section look you're after, but there are some alu rims that come close. 

My standard recommendations for alu wide rims (~30mm) are the WTB i29, Kore 3.0 and Lyne AMP30. All will be fine for your weight, and allow you to go a bit wider on the tyres and support the sidewalls better than a narrower rim. Wide is definitely good, but I'm less sure of the benefits of going from wide (~28mm) to super wide (~35mm) Still forming a proper opinion on that. 

For carbon, I have 3 recommendations.

Firstly, XMCarbonspeed in the east do what seems to be a decent rim, and they're very well priced. Excellent reviews online and from v12 man. A well-respected builder has been very impressed with their quality. But you'll have to wait a while to get them.

Secondly, Derby. Great quality, but top level price as well. Ridden a few sets of these in teh 35mm wide (internal) size and they're lovely. 

Lastly - South Ind (what I have) - strong, light, stiff. Reasonably priced as well, and they have the SavageProof stamp of approval (Andrew Savage of Stoke Suspension Works hasn't managed to break a rim, yet) 28mm wide internal, and they're performing very well so far. Not that large a section, but still *** lekker. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I am exactly the same weight .Just finished 2019 Epic on Hope and Stans Arch MK3 Wheelset .No issues at all ! .My other wheelset has raceface27 rims .Also great set .I Bought Mavic carbon pro recently.They have 24mminner width.Quality set with 3year warranty.Weight limit is 120kg

OK. This thread got me all segwayed up. Damn ADHD.

OK. So. What I found was. From personal experience... The mtx33 feels nice and stiff. It heavy AF. Also. The QC isn't always great as my set came tack welded instead of completely seal welded. Had to send them back. If it wasn't for that... I'd probably still be riding them without issue.

On the complete other side of the spectrum is the AC smokin gun. Cheese soft alu with alu nipples and slow engagement hub. But just go read about what bill shook said about the hub flange placement. I'm VERY interested in the smoking gun wheels.

Maybe I love them. Maybe I should buy multiple sets since AC has gone the way of the dodo. Maybe this is all just expensive school fees.

Meh. Such is cycling.

Have a chat with Dayle from Lyne components their wheelsets are awesome and pocket friendly and they have recently brought out their high engagement hub.

OK. This thread got me all segwayed up. Damn ADHD.

OK. So. What I found was. From personal experience... The mtx33 feels nice and stiff. It heavy AF. Also. The QC isn't always great as my set came tack welded instead of completely seal welded.

snip

yes they are VERY heavy by todays standards. 29" is about 750g. it used to be one of the best (stiffest) 29" wheel you could get (circa 2010) etc so i guess weight was not really too high on the design criteria list seeing that the average DH casing tyre also weighs well over 1kg.

ps the 29" version has always been sleeved. The 26" one seam welded, which they still sell for DJ purposes because it's so strong. I have both. anyway, there are plenty of other options...these are just a cheap and proven old rim I like.

edit:

post-64325-0-22376700-1553575954_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

if you say carbon and wheel in the same sentence, my brain defaults to ENVY

expensive, but IMO there's nothing else that compares, maybe its just because they look cool ;)

yes they are VERY heavy by todays standards. 29" is about 750g. it used to be one of the best (stiffest) 29" wheel you could get (circa 2010) etc so i guess weight was not really too high on the design criteria list seeing that the average DH casing tyre also weighs well over 1kg.

ps the 29" version has always been sleeved. The 26" one seam welded, which they still sell for DJ purposes because it's so strong. I have both. anyway, there are plenty of other options...these are just a cheap and proven old rim I like.

edit:

Yep. Lovely rim through and through. About the sleeve 29...aparently a whole batch of of them had to be sent back with mine as they weren't sleeved. Just tacked and leaking through the rim sidewall itself. I suspect they tried something new and decided on a recall. This was in 2016.

Thank you for all the tips. Did some research last night and both Nextie and Light bicycle (both chinese) are really appealing to me, they have the dimensions i am looking for, just hope they are strong wheels. But the reviews are very good.

When is a rim too wide? for XC atleast. Is it a issue riding with enduro wheels on a XC bike?

Also is carbon really that much better than Alloy, i know the topic is weelllllll discussed but is it stronger than alloy, weight not being taken into consideration.