Using heart rate variability to know when to rest etc?

Has anyone tried tracking heart rate variability and using that to decide when to rest? How well does that work?

Knowing when I should rest is something I struggle with.

Usually I can feel the pressure buildup. Check the HRM and if it is high, I slow down or stop and rest. Bleeding eyeballs happen after this and I never go that far, 

I am very cautious about this. One day I may have a bug I am unaware of so I listen to my body and the warning signs.

Yep, been using the app HRV4Training https://www.hrv4training.com/ for the last year or so. Record daily and sync with trainingpeaks and Golden Cheetah so not only monitor on a daily basis but also historically have the information so that I can monitor trends with regard to training load (TSS/IF) and the build up to certain races.  Typically my Category A races/events.

Yep, been using the app HRV4Training https://www.hrv4training.com/ for the last year or so. Record daily and sync with trainingpeaks and Golden Cheetah so not only monitor on a daily basis but also historically have the information so that I can monitor trends with regard to training load (TSS/IF) and the build up to certain races.  Typically my Category A races/events.

Tx. I installed that app on my iPhone 8+ earlier today. Will see how it goes. Unfortunately will take some time to get a baseline etc. and I have to remember to use the app in the AM.

Tx. I installed that app on my iPhone 8+ earlier today. Will see how it goes. Unfortunately will take some time to get a baseline etc. and I have to remember to use the app in the AM.

It is much easier than putting a HRM on and then taking the reading and you quickly get into a routine.  The other app I looked at was Elite HRV https://elitehrv.com/ but as I use Golden Cheetah extensively, HRV4Training data sync is easier and integrated to GC.

www.whoop.com

Have a look at these. I have not used one myself, but my boet and Dad have. They are positive about them. 

David I bought the Garmin 520 to be able to monitor my cadence and my heart rate.

If I "grind" the gears my heart rate goes through the roof - and then my knees are buggered for a few days (arthritis...)

I had to experiment to figure out that a cadence of 70+ on steep sections is ideal for me.  When the hill is too long, too steep, or I am simply to tired (unfit) then my cadence drops and heart rate shoots UP .

My heart rate on the day is a function of just how had I push, and the hills, etc ... So looking "only" at my heart rate could be most misleading !

That said, doing a known trail I quickly know when my heart rate is "off" .... if I have a bit of flue, or coming back from the flue,  it does not drop when I back of the throttle .....

I like to look back at historical data, comparing distance \ time \ speed on hills \ heart rate, etc.  Nice to see the improvement in my stats.

But I now typically dont monitor the Garmin too closely during a ride ... my body tells me quick enough if something is off, then I check the computer and adjust as needed.

DISCLAIMER - as a rookie the above is just how I do it.  I AM certainly open to reading the input from the experienced riders, and ready to learn and improve.

Im very tuned into my resting HR. If its elevated around 5 to 7 beats over a couple of days I need to take it easy. 10 beats and more and Im getting sick.

Resting heart rate might not be the best, but it works for me as well.  And similar to mudsimus: around 5 beats to high when i wake up means i need to chill.  10 or more and the cold is coming.

Heart rate variability also sounds great, but just more difficult to measure accurately except with great watch as far as i'm aware.

David I bought the Garmin 520 to be able to monitor my cadence and my heart rate.

If I "grind" the gears my heart rate goes through the roof - and then my knees are buggered for a few days (arthritis...)

I had to experiment to figure out that a cadence of 70+ on steep sections is ideal for me.  When the hill is too long, too steep, or I am simply to tired (unfit) then my cadence drops and heart rate shoots UP .

My heart rate on the day is a function of just how had I push, and the hills, etc ... So looking "only" at my heart rate could be most misleading !

That said, doing a known trail I quickly know when my heart rate is "off" .... if I have a bit of flue, or coming back from the flue,  it does not drop when I back of the throttle .....

I like to look back at historical data, comparing distance \ time \ speed on hills \ heart rate, etc.  Nice to see the improvement in my stats.

But I now typically dont monitor the Garmin too closely during a ride ... my body tells me quick enough if something is off, then I check the computer and adjust as needed.

DISCLAIMER - as a rookie the above is just how I do it.  I AM certainly open to reading the input from the experienced riders, and ready to learn and improve.

He is asking about heart rate variability, it has nothing to do with heart rate monitoring when going hard or easy, or your resting heart rate, but the variability of your resting heart rate.  It is a measure of the variability between heart rate beats.

Perhaps more should read up on it before commenting incorrectly.  More reading here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate_variability , 

https://www.hrv4training.com/blog/heart-rate-variability-a-primer and https://www.firstbeat.com/en/blog/what-is-heart-rate-variability-hrv/

By monitoring and understanding the HRV you can assess and give better analysis to the stress on the body and whether to change a proposed workout from going for it hard or to changing to a recovery workout or even full rest.  As such adjusting your training to the stress/tiredness of your body which can be accurately measured via your heart rate variability and best monitored as soon as you wake with your resting heart rate can from research give greater benefit to your training and results.

Edited by shaper

Data can can be exported as CSV file which am sure can be imported?

That would work but automagic sync is much nicer but I suppose even manual entry would be ok as a start. I would like to see how HRV matches up with training load charts.

Anyway I remembered to do my first measurement this AM, so we will see.

That would work but automagic sync is much nicer but I suppose even manual entry would be ok as a start. I would like to see how HRV matches up with training load charts.

Anyway I remembered to do my first measurement this AM, so we will see.

With HRV4Training you can link any of Trainingpeaks, Todays plan, Sportstrack, Genetrainer, Final Surge and Train as One you can push your HR and HRV data to.

For Strava it only says it can get workouts from, but not push HR and HRV to.  So not sure if there is a way to do it automatically via Strava.

Edited by shaper

The long and the short of it is that this measure isn't good enough to guide training yet.

We trialed HRV4 and were in contact with the developer. We do know that measures of HRV do change after hard training or racing but the nature and amplitude of change is too complex to spit out a number on what our training should be.

The PMC is your best tool for monitoring load and subjective measures such as daily questionnaires (fatigue, muscle soreness, mood etc.) are actually superior to objective measures such as RHR.