Is this behaviour ok?

Quagga

When I said to the cyclist that he skipped a red light, I was told to "F*&^ Off"

Should we not adhere to the road rules, like not standing 3m ahead of the white line?

What do you think....?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you stand way in front of the cars, you have a better chance of being seen

skipping lights = not on

if you stand way in front of the cars, you have a better chance of being seen

skipping lights = not on

Agree but not that far that you in the other lane.

No, it's not OK to skip a red light. Its illegal and dangerous.

It's amazing how some cyclists always fight for their rights to use the road, then think it's OK to break the rules of the road.

I often go far forward so all the vehicles know I am there and so I don't get cut off by people turning left + less fighting for space while trying to clip in when it goes green.

I do jump lights when its the safest option for me (on flat side of T-junction, turning left and nothing coming, no shoulder on other side of the light + nothing coming so better to get a head start on the traffic).

No, it's not OK to skip a red light. Its illegal and dangerous.

It's amazing how some cyclists always fight for their rights to use the road, then think it's OK to break the rules of the road.

And it does not help when driver already hate us.

I often go far forward so all the vehicles know I am there and so I don't get cut off by people turning left + less fighting for space while trying to clip in when it goes green.

I do jump lights when its the safest option for me (on flat side of T-junction, turning left and nothing coming, no shoulder on other side of the light + nothing coming so better to get a head start on the traffic).

So you want to be treated with respect by other road users but they have to obey the road rules and you are above the law?

As a commuter my take on this :

- I STOP at robots, feet off the pedals and only proceed when it is SAFE to so.  Ironically, at the Bill Bezuidenhout and Suikerbossie crossing it typically means the only safe time to cross is after the first cars used the left turn arrow, I then proceed to the island and cross the red when safe to do so .....  crossing while green is simply too dangerous at THIS intersection.  BUT, the key being that I come to a complete stop, and only proceed when 100% safe to do so.  Doing this I often find cars stopping and waving me through  (at 6:00 in the morning there are not that many cars at this intersection ...  this same crossing would be VERY dangerous during peak hour !!)

- stopping past the solid line - this may well be the safest for that intersection, there is one intersection on my afternoon commute where I sometimes do the same ....  Though I prefer to stop next to the pavement and wait until it is open, clear and safe (same as the camera man did)

I prefer to ride in a manner that maximize my safety, which typically means 95% compliance to the road rules ....

So you want to be treated with respect by other road users but they have to obey the road rules and you are above the law?

I do whats safest for me on the bike. And sometimes its safer skip the light and have the road to yourself. I know thats controversial but I like to stay off the deck :)

As a commuter my take on this :

- I STOP at robots, feet off the pedals and only proceed when it is SAFE to so.  Ironically, at the Bill Bezuidenhout and Suikerbossie crossing it typically means the only safe time to cross is after the first cars used the left turn arrow, I then proceed to the island and cross the red when safe to do so .....  crossing while green is simply too dangerous at THIS intersection.  BUT, the key being that I come to a complete stop, and only proceed when 100% safe to do so.  Doing this I often find cars stopping and waving me through  (at 6:00 in the morning there are not that many cars at this intersection ...  this same crossing would be VERY dangerous during peak hour !!)

- stopping past the solid line - this may well be the safest for that intersection, there is one intersection on my afternoon commute where I sometimes do the same ....  Though I prefer to stop next to the pavement and wait until it is open, clear and safe (same as the camera man did)

I prefer to ride in a manner that maximize my safety, which typically means 95% compliance to the road rules ....

I do whats safest for me on the bike. And sometimes its safer skip the light and have the road to yourself. I know thats controversial but I like to stay off the deck :)

I am going to disagree with you both. I stop at stop streets and Red lights I do not SKIP a light at all and I have never been knocked over.

While on a strait road I have often been passed CLOSE by ignorant driver or driver who hate us.

Funny how people try and justify their actions.

another moaning thread i know its friday but .........

You posted this while driving hey?

At least I try and do something about it......

@ Quagga

How many hours do you cycle per week?

Do you actually train or do you just commute? 

What is your current PPA Seeding ?

You posted this while driving hey?

At least I try and do something about it......

of course i did .........just ride your bike and make sure you dont get driven over and let other grownups be responsible for themselves :thumbup:

of course i did .........just ride your bike and make sure you dont get driven over and let other grownups be responsible for themselves :thumbup:

Would you want people to have the same attitude "mind their own business" when they see a murder or house breaking or accident....?

Or do you cherry pick when other people can get involved.

How do you end up in front of him every time?

Imagine how *** slow he would be if he stopped everywhere  :whistling:

Archived