Mongoose rebuild project

ChrisF

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knew a little side project can be so trying ...  :cursing:   :wacko:

Maritz wants a top cap that displays the SA flag .... good luck in finding this in-store.

And so I got the idea to try and paint the flag onto a top cap. I mean, just how difficult can it be ?  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Bit of planning, and a design is drawn up ... I now have dimensions to apply to the top-caps ....

post-110956-0-00688700-1556466088_thumb.jpg

couple of bottles of model paint, and SMALL brushes ....

post-110956-0-93181200-1556465782_thumb.jpg

.... I sand down two top caps, and apply an etching base coat spray.

post-110956-0-82618000-1556465754_thumb.jpg

Working on such a small scale it helps to have a mount, with a magnifying glass and built in light.

post-110956-0-47080000-1556466182_thumb.jpg

The lines are marked onto the top cap

post-110956-0-11518100-1556466209_thumb.jpg

And standard 3mm pin stripes are cut in half and applied as per the marks

post-110956-0-08285600-1556466267_thumb.jpg

With the fine and boring work out the way, time for Maritz to come do the honours ...

post-110956-0-81485000-1556466341_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-16043900-1556466361_thumb.jpg

A few more coats and the job looks promising  :thumbup:

Removing the pin-stripes went okay .... and then the finest of fine brushes were not even remotely fine enough for a 1,5mm wide line ...  :wacko:   :thumbdown:   From here the job went sideways quickly .... attempt 1 binned ....

For attempt two I took a different approach.  This time I painted the white and yellow lines first, and a wider than needed.  After baking in the sun until properly hardened I applied 2mm wide pin stripes over the white and yellow lines, and painted in the various colours .....  Removing the pin-stripes caused a few minor issues ..... after some minor touch ups, the final looks like this (actually looks better than the photo shows) -

post-110956-0-73084500-1556466673_thumb.jpg

I will give it a few days to properly dry and harden, then apply a clear top coat.

Up to Maritz to decide if he wants this, or a pristine off the shelf top cap ..... 

must be the most hours I have put into a little project ... and not super stoked about the final product ..... even though it does look better than the photo suggests.  But hey, that IS the nature of custom projects ... some things work better than expected, while others really test you ....  :whistling:

Not much more I can do now.  Need the frame to start the re-assembly ...

Edited by ChrisF

Okaaaayyyyyy ....  what a long week !

Garage has been cleaned, and re-packed, and the floor swept - - - twice ......

Just got the GOOD news.  Frame will be ready by Tuesday.  :clap:   :clap:

now in all fairness - this is the EXACT lead time they gave pre-quote, to the day.  :thumbup:   But man, why does it feel so much longer when you perv at the gallery on their website ....  :whistling:

All credit to Carbon Bike Repairs in Durbanville !!  From the first phone call, through the whole process they have been professional and punctual.  

The saddle that came with the Mongoose is one of those thick gell saddles, for a wide adult butt .... way over-size for Maritz.  Nice little task .... go from bike shop to bike shop, and get a couple of small things.

Who knew it would be so difficult to buy a saddle for a kids bike  :eek:   :wacko:

I like to drive to a shop, buy that item that I need ... then perv at all the parts and extras that I may need tomorrow ....  :whistling:

Bike Addict has one "Junior saddle" in stock.  Sadly this has blue trimmings, that probably wont work that well with the Green Machine ....  But now I know that Giant has a junior saddle ... so off to Giant Durbanville ..... NOPE, they dont carry stock for kids bikes.  So let's try EvoBikes, oops, been galavanting too long, and they are closed.  Off to CWC, now you must know I am desperate, some nice junior saddles on the Titan 24-9er bikes .... NOPE, they dont carry stock of these ... will have to order.

Worth noting the Giant Junior saddle has extra long rails !!  Making it perfect to tweak the bike setup as the kid grows.  I DO like this product !  :thumbup:

Guess I will be asking Mark to order a "junior saddle" ....

And YES, if one of the hubbers have gone through this and provide input on the best saddle for juniors ir would much appreciated.  :thumbup:   :thumbup:

Edited by ChrisF

Chris, it’s Tuesday, whoop whoop!

het nie baie geslaap nie ....  :whistling:

In office nice and early, get the work done, then go pick up the frame ....  :w00t:

and then ... pichas ...  :thumbup:

het nie baie geslaap nie ....  :whistling:

In office nice and early, get the work done, then go pick up the frame ....  :w00t:

and then ... pichas ...  :thumbup:

Voting for the Mongoose Party tomorrow? :whistling:

Voting for the Mongoose Party tomorrow? :whistling:

I was nice of them to give us a special day to work on the Mongoose ...  :devil:

BIG shout out for Carbon Bicycle Repairs in Durbanville !!  https://www.carbonbicyclerepairs.co.za/

Their website says 2 weeks turn around on a spray job.  Even with all these short weeks, they managed exactly 10 working days.  :thumbup:   :clap:

I even had the odd email from them to check details.

From a chat, and a very open brief, they managed to deliver exactly what Maritz wanted  :clap:   :clap:

post-110956-0-42532700-1557250534_thumb.jpg

The paint has very nice metalic finish in the sun ... not so easy to capture on camera in full cloud cover

post-110956-0-55149600-1557250561_thumb.jpg

Maritz wanted the theme of the SA flag, and I love the way they worked that around the bottle cage .... you know it is there, and yet it is not in your face.  :thumbup:  Oooo, and the flag was sprayed on the frame.  It is not a sticker.  That must have been LOTS of man hours for that "small" detail !!  :thumbup:   :clap:   THANX CBR !!

just in case wondered about his reaction  :clap:

post-110956-0-84227900-1557250666_thumb.jpg

For the keen eyed observers .... the shock was dropped off at Mark for a full service.  LOVE what CBR did with it !!  It is a black REBA shock with LOTS of blue decals .... they removed all the decals and made decals that fade from green to white.  Looks like it came from the factory, to match our one-off paint job.

PS - they even gave us a couple stickers that Maritz can put on the frame.  How is that for involving the young man in the project !!

Edited by ChrisF

Maritz is our godson, as such our project time is limited to when he visits us ....  

While waiting for Maritz to come visit us I prepped the garage, come studio, for the project.

post-110956-0-05443500-1557322389_thumb.jpg

Also packed out the parts neatly, so we can plan our install.  Though we were obviously limited with the shock having been dropped off for a major service.

post-110956-0-71140900-1557322412_thumb.jpg

And then it was time to start .....  Maritz knows that the bike gets put onto the workshop stand via clamping onto the seat post.  So step one would be the seat and seat post.

post-110956-0-04139200-1557322511_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-59501000-1557322589_thumb.jpg

A bit of over-spray was noted inside the tube.  Nothing a bit of 800-grit paper could not resolve.

post-110956-0-18661700-1557322659_thumb.jpg

Time to fit the quick release bracket - without scratching the new paint.  A bit of grease on the inside of the quick release, and then pry it open a tad with a large screw driver while slipping it over the new paint.

post-110956-0-26812800-1557322760_thumb.jpg

And Maritz installs the seat

post-110956-0-49179300-1557322784_thumb.jpg

Time to put the frame on the workshop stand ... Man you should have seen the joy on his face at being to do that without any help.  :clap:   (the bikes are too heavy, so he has not been able to do this before)

post-110956-0-36544900-1557322843_thumb.jpg

Okayyyyy, so what next .... 

post-110956-0-20236900-1557323019_thumb.jpg

After some subtle guiding, it was decided we should start with the BB and crank.  Got everything ready, cleaned all the parts, and talked about keeping the spacers as it was during the removal.

post-110956-0-75100100-1557323112_thumb.jpg

BUT, parts are ALWAYS fitted by hand, and the first few threads hand tightened before using any tools !!  Darned if I could get the BB threaded .... neither the left nor right hand side would thread (and jip, I was very aware of the arrow showing the direction).  CBR did clean the thread of any over spray, but somehow something needs a bit of TLC .....  I tried the normal tricks, but without a tap to clean the thread I was not able to progress with this ....  O-well, anybody that has done a custom build knows these things do happen at some point.  Will pop in at Mark tomorrow for some expert help.

Not ready to call it a day just yet we played a bit more.  :thumbup:

The frame has place for two water bottles.  Nice small bolts to close the holes on the one, and then fitting the holder to the other.  While taking time to show Maritz how we use blue LockTite, and to explain why.

post-110956-0-88258400-1557323518_thumb.jpg

Last item for the day, fitting the hanger

post-110956-0-92987500-1557323566_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-50334600-1557323588_thumb.jpg

sorry guys, really wanted to do a lot more for the day .... but these things happen  :whistling:

Gee, Chris, your garage / workshop is seriously well organized! :clap:

Sadly I don't have a dedicated work space, so everything must be packed away in the toolboxes, but if I had the space, I'd want it to look like yours, although I'm sure it won't stay like that for long :blush:

Nice.

Tell me more about that bike stand, more specifically the clamp.

Did it come off a free standing stand ?

I’ve been planning a workshop stand for my shed, the only thing I wasn’t sure of was how to do the clamp.

Nice.

Tell me more about that bike stand, more specifically the clamp.

Did it come off a free standing stand ?

I’ve been planning a workshop stand for my shed, the only thing I wasn’t sure of was how to do the clamp.

Ouzo I bought one of the CWC stands, and use it when washing the bikes out in the driveway .... it is handy, but I dont like the way the bikes "sway" in this stand when working on it .... also hate tripping over the stand-feet on the ground.

post-110956-0-12279900-1557331340_thumb.jpg

So I set about making a stand that hangs from the roof, and that can fold up into the trusses when not working on the bikes.  Drop the arm down, and clamp it firmly in place 

post-110956-0-86145000-1557331285_thumb.jpg

With the cross braces the stand provides a very nice firm base to work on the bikes

post-110956-0-82012600-1557331305_thumb.jpg

Initially I made this clamp -

post-110956-0-52946600-1557331362_thumb.jpg

But the clamp on the CWC stand is much nicer (at least this quick release one)

post-110956-0-87983400-1557331467_thumb.jpg

I then realised that with a PVC bush I could use the CWC clamp on my stand  :thumbup:

post-110956-0-64183400-1557331541_thumb.jpg

PS - CWC do sell a clamp-and-WALL-mount bracket .... this is nice for those with limited space.

Edited by ChrisF

Ouzo I bought one of the CWC stands, and use it when washing the bikes out in the driveway .... it is handy, but I dont like the way the bikes "sway" in this stand when working on it .... also hate tripping over the stand-feet on the ground.

attachicon.gifMongoose revamp-137.jpg

So I set about making a stand that hangs from the roof, and that can fold up into the trusses when not working on the bikes. Drop the arm down, and clamp it firmly in place

attachicon.gifMongoose revamp-139.jpg

With the cross braces the stand provides a very nice firm base to work on the bikes

attachicon.gifMongoose revamp-138.jpg

Initially I made this clamp -

attachicon.gifMongoose revamp-136.jpg

But the clamp on the CWC stand is much nicer (at least this quick release one)

attachicon.gifMongoose revamp-135.jpg

I then realised that with a PVC bush I could use the CWC clamp on my stand :thumbup:

attachicon.gifMongoose revamp-134.jpg

PS - CWC do sell a clamp-and-WALL-mount bracket .... this is nice for those with limited space.

Awesome

Will look into the Cwc clamp.

I want to do something similar by having the stand drop from the roof. Don’t have the space for a free standing stand to sit around.

Love checking into this thread from time to time to see the progress! Really digging it as I also service / rebuild all my bikes at home. Also good on you for mentoring the young one, watch him become a successful racer or master bike mechanic one day!