Not a new build....

gummibear

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've given yourself a lot of unnecessary hard work.  :whistling:

Plascon has a product called "Remove-All" (not sure if you get it there across the sea.Works a treat, is water soluble and removes the most stubborn paint.

Currently busy with my "gravel bike" from my old hardtail frame. Used Rustoleum paint (paint and primer in one) and clearcoat. I was in a bit of a hurry when starting to polish it up (did not give the clearcoat enough cure time) but it is a bike I will be riding, not a show piece, so the few blemishes just adds character.

Enjoy the rest of your rebuild, looks like it's gonna be a neat bike.

Yeah Ive used paint stripper but it’s not working well.

Strips the paint but not the primer.Seems like old Tom uses some potent primer on his bikes[emoji106]

Going to be busy for a while on this one .

Gives all of us somewhere to come everyday to see what you've been up to  :thumbup:

I love these rebuild/restore threads

Plascon has a product called "Remove-All" (not sure if you get it there across the sea.Works a treat, is water soluble and removes the most stubborn paint.

Remove-All is the business. Not as aggressive as solvent based stripper but more effective IMO. I have stripped 2 frames with it and both times have been very happy with the results. The trick is to give it time to do it's thing.

Another vote for Plascon Remove-all. I've even used it on plastic panels from my BMW 800GS.

On stubborn paint, apply, strip and repeat the process again on the next layer below.

1st coat of clear coat is on.

Looks great in the sun but still not properly dry so don’t want dust on it[emoji3508]

34761135389c3f96cab4ac5bfe0e1c74.jpg

Take my advice, give it at least 24hrs cure time before you start wet sanding / buffing it up to remove any orange peel, otherwise you just stuff up your handywork.

Don't be like Wannabe, be patient with it.  :blush:  :whistling:

edit: Looking great  :thumbup:

Take my advice, give it at least 24hrs cure time before you start wet sanding / buffing it up to remove any orange peel, otherwise you just stuff up your handywork.

Don't be like Wannabe, be patient with it.  :blush:  :whistling:

edit: Looking great  :thumbup:

I was told to leave it for about 2 weeks before any polishing and a month before mounting parts.

Not in a hurry at all.

Archived